Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed - Resort recommendation for 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks
Looking for some advice on a trip & resort recommendation for next year’s ski trip...
We’re a mixed ability bunch of skiers (mostly) with a couple of boarders. Most people can handle easy red slopes with a bit of persuasion, whilst some of the group can ski anything on-piste. Not really too interested in off-piste at this stage...We do not enjoy moguls and prefer groomed pistes...
Between us we’ve been to the following resorts over the last few years:

Bansko
Arosa
Zell am See
Alp d’Huez
Kitzbuhel
Soldeu
Saalbach
Ischgl

Saalbach and Ischgl are definitely top of the list of the places we visited as we love the Austrian apres ski and the lift infrastructure of both resorts are excellent.
Ischgl above Saalbach mainly because of better snow, but also a slightly better layout in my opinion... although this might be a bit unfair as we went late in the season (early March) to Saalbach on a particularly bad year for snow.
Not that keen on the French Chalet set-up and also definitely not keen on paying Euro 8 for a beer at a mountain hut. Money is a factor...other than that I would be open to suggestions which could include France...
Switzerland not really an option due to costs

So resorts being considered for next year are:
Solden
St Anton
Val Gardena – think Selva or Arraba...
Maybe go back to Ischgl or Saalbach, but ideally we would want to explore another resort, but I’m fearful we will not be able to top Ischgl...

Looking at reviews of the various resorts here is what I’ve come up with:

Solden
Pro’s: High and snow-sure, good après ski, albeit a bit rowdy from what I read, fairly quick transfer from Innsbruck, good for intermediates, no need to go early season given how snow sure it is, not certain how well the lift system is connected
Negatives: Lack of km of slopes, not the prettiest of villages, possible queues for the gondola in the morning

St Anton
Pro’s: Relatively snow sure, great après ski, pretty village, good transfer options by train, plenty of km’s of slopes, good lift infrastructure so not a lot of queues (how does it compare to Ischgl and Saalbach?)
Negatives: Terrain not suitable to the less experienced skiers in our group, expensive (not certain how it compares to Ischgl, but providing it isn’t more expensive it should be fine), busses required to get to Lech etc...

Val Gardena
Pro’s: Plenty of km’s to ski, enough terrain for everyone in the group, pretty town and scenery, not overly expensive (not sure about this though?)
Negatives: Layout seems a bit tricky, lifts not as good as the other resorts – looks like a lot of drag lifts, not snow sure given relatively low altitude, no idea about après ski?

I would greatly appreciate thoughts and recommendations on the above from people who might have been to these resorts as well as any potential tips for good and reasonably priced accommodation...

Note: We prefer DIY trips - not through TO's
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you thought about Schladming as a possibility - would certainly fill all your requirements.

If you have not been to Sölden don't base your comments on what you read here! Yes there are some "lively" apres places, but there are also a lot more enjoyable places that do not involve undue rowdiness! wink There are more than enough kms of skiing for a group such as yours and the lift system is excellent. The village is more than the one street which on transfer days does get clogged up with rubber-necking tourists in their cars and transfer buses. The rest of the time it is fine and getting accommodation away from the main drag means you don't notice it any way. The accommodation away from the main street is generally better value as well! I got a room (B&B) for the World Cup opening weekend for 29 Euros per night.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks Samerberg Sue...
Will have a look at Sclamding and thanks for the guidance on Sölden...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't remeber any drag lifts in Val Gardena... In fact, the lift system around there is mostly gondolas and pretty efficient really. Accommodation costs would be more like 'average' than 'budget' (though I'm sure you could get something in the 'pretending to be a Russian millionaire' category if you really wanted), but you would save money on ski hire and food/drink which are pretty reasonable for a ski resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Woolies,
My experiences of Schladming were that if the snow is good, it can be a great place, but last year I was waterskiing in summer temperatures in March Places to eat were very busy and noisy. The Dachstein Gletscher is almost an hour away by bus and doesn't really have much skiing to offer. Several other mountains to visit for more variation.
Solden is larger and much higher, but in my experience gets busy on pistes and in lift queues. The town is busy and noisy. A big plus is you have Obergurgl up the road and can ski there for a break if you wish. Given the choice I would go Solden.
By comparison I would also choose Ischgl over St Anton.
Hope this is helpful to you and Mrs Woolies wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hehe...
Thx Mayr...
Think it is going to be very difficult topping the week in Ischgl...
Italy could be interesting though - might give that a try... Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mayr, c'mon it was the same in most places north of the Alpine divide last season as it was unusually warm at the beginning of March. By the last full week of March 2014 we had another 80cms+ of new snow and I had a great time skiing in Schladming at Easter (end of April).

You really don't have to work so hard for the Tirol Tourist Board you know! Surprised you don't recommend yourself and the Gurgls! rolling eyes I like Sölden and am regularly there at the beginning and end of the season. The town is not busy at Easter nor is it "noisy", even on the main drag! Transfer days give a pretty bad impression, I like the town as well as the variety of skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Woolies, I wouldn't take people who have to be "persuaded" to do an easy red run to Arabba. There are some quite stiff and unavoidable red runs in and out of Arabba. Selva might be better, though it seems a bit busy compared to other parts of the Sella Ronda area (Corvara or Colfosco might be better).

On-mountain food is good in the Dolomites, and reasonable. The hot chocolates are fantastic and cheap (€2.20 was the most I paid) as is, of course, the coffee. Beer isn't cheap anywhere in Italy - a small beer was about €3, the same as you'll pay in French resorts outside the big ski factories of the Tarentaise etc. And the Italian small beers are smaller than the French small beers.

But you can buy a lot of Italian beer for what you'd save over renting skis in St Anton. wink

If scenery is important to you the Dolomites are undoubtedly the most spectacular mountains in Europe.

Parts of the Dolomites are very "Austrian" in feel, with German language to the fore, lots of dumplings and (unfortunately) the bloody oompah oompah music. But you can escape up a chairlift and down the other side for a more Italian feel. wink

There is some "lively" after ski - we saw some scantily clad writhing girls outside a bar, mid-afternoon, in minus 10, and beat a hasty retreat.

I spent a week in the Dolomites without hitting a single drag lift (but that was partly because of the excellence of our guide). Lifts are mostly gondolas and fast detachable chairs, some of them with covers. But one of our party, on the coldest days, was filling us with envy for the heated chairs in (I think it was) Saalbach, which sound very inviting.

And anyway, anyone who calls themselves a half decent skier or even boarder should have no trouble with the occasional draglift.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Woolies, Arabba/Selva is your best bet.

Solden's a bit of a dump

St Anton is an experience but the piste skiing is pretty ordinary. Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis is much better in that respect. If you do go to St A make sure you go to Lech too as that's also an experience and the buses are easy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Woolies, Italy.....Cervinia, Dolomites, Millky Way, Passo Tonale even...many good places which can offer a great range of terrain, if you can endure the Italians.
@Samerberg Sue, Yes, March was warm last year, but Schladming isnt that high up is it? It certainly was my experience that Solden was noisy... perhaps I was there during peak season or maybe your level of acceptable noise is different to mine?
FYI I do not work for any tourist board but do have working experience of many Alpine resorts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 wrote:

Solden's a bit of a dump

No beating about the bush here then Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies and advice...
Much appreciated!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you loved Ischgl and Saalbach, I think your group would really enjoy St Anton. Large and varied area - when you add in Lech and Zurs - and excellent apres. Not quite on Ischgl's scale, but great fun. The Mooserwirt has to be experienced!

I can't comment on Val Gardena or Solden as I've never been to either, but I had a great time in St Anton (twice) and would go back.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy