Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monarch/FlyBE/Jet2 and the other shysters

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
@dogwatch, the same people who queue for 35 minutes to get on the damn thing in the first place, whilst I read another couple of chapters of my book.

I normally snigger at those that queue up for forty minutes when they have an allocated seat. However, I did it last night from STN to GLA. The reason was I'd been in a meeting all day and in a car to the airport for 90 mins. I had sat down all day and fancied standing to stretch my legs. Happy

The queue seemed a good place.

What I do find really weird is the people that stand in the Priority lane..... they are going to get on first. Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know why airlines don't board from the back - calling the rear seat numbers first. To avoid the irritating people who are seated in the first few rows, queue for ages to get on first then spend ages faffing around in lockers before sitting down to let other people through. I think easyJet did that for a while, but it was presumably too difficult for people to understand.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I find myself, having simply boarded and sat down with my normal sized bag under the seat in front, getting very irritated by those who do all the endless faffing with bags, coats and the lockers and do all of that whilst blithely blocking the aisle, completely oblivious of the line of people trying to get past them. It's 2 hour flight at worst, for most European destinations - surely whatever you need for that duration, can be in your hand/on your person?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Montana wrote:
surely whatever you need for that duration, can be in your hand/on your person?

Blame the airline - I have a manbag - it contains kindle, wallet, glasses, passport etc and ain't very big and goes in the seat back pocket. But at the gate I'm always told to put it in my hand luggage. So I do. And then take it out on the plane so I don't have to faff around in my small suitcase when on board.....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w,
Quote:

I don't know why airlines don't board from the back

Many of them do, especially on the busier flights. BA frequently does.

@GlasgowCyclops,
Quote:
I normally snigger at those that queue up for forty minutes when they have an allocated seat. However, I did it last night from STN to GLA. The reason was I'd been in a meeting all day and in a car to the airport for 90 mins. I had sat down all day and fancied standing to stretch my legs.

What I do find really weird is the people that stand in the Priority lane..... they are going to get on first.

Conversely, I'm happy to stand in the queue for a few minutes in the terminal and frequently end up boarding first. I also get to set in seat 1A much of the time. I read while standing in the queue in the terminal and then stride on to the flight, sit down and can relax (while I watch everyone else queuing for ages just to get on the aircraft, shuffling down the jetway, struggling to find space for bags. I genuinely find my approach infinitely more relaxing and more civilised. Happily we all like different things and if others prefer to remain in the lounge until the last possible moment then that's fine by me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

@GlasgowCyclops,
Quote:
I normally snigger at those that queue up for forty minutes when they have an allocated seat. However, I did it last night from STN to GLA. The reason was I'd been in a meeting all day and in a car to the airport for 90 mins. I had sat down all day and fancied standing to stretch my legs.

What I do find really weird is the people that stand in the Priority lane..... they are going to get on first.

I genuinely find my approach infinitely more relaxing and more civilised. Happily we all like different things and if others prefer to remain in the lounge until the last possible moment then that's fine by me.

Yep I agree, if that is your preference then fine. Especially if you are at the front.

I should have clarified. I meant the people that are number 120 in the queue and standing for 40 mins Happy

Mind you..... it is not the end of the world. I don't get annoyed, just a nice smile. And if my bag were to get put in the hold then I don't see a problem. I do see a rather lot of really annoyed people on planes. I'm really a bit chilled about it all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just flown from Gatwick to Grenoble with Monarch having paid for ski carriage on top of the usual 20kg one bag hold luggage. Had a terse discussion with the check in staff who were insistent that the policy was that ski boots had to be placed on the scales with the normal hold bag and the total had to be under 20kg. Boots could not be weighed with the skis as part of the 20kg ski carriage allowance. Now, I looked carefully at the Monarch website before packing and it clearly states that boots can be weighed with skis and the total must not exceed 20kg. This is separate to the 20kg normal hold bag. As it happens I pack pretty light so it wasn't a problem, but it could have been. Anyone else had this? I think the check in staff don't know their company's policy. Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@henzerani,

Hi Henzerani, can I ask you how many sets of skis you had in your ski bag and what it weighed. I too am flying from Southampton in a few weeks with flybe for the first time. I have only ever taken one boardbag but with 2 boards in it with a total weight of about 13kgs. There is no stated weight limit on their wbesite but does state only one set per bag. I was a bit concerned by that so I bit the bullet and contacted the TO to pay for another board carriage only to be told that they have limited allocation and were already fully booked. Is it worth taking the chance only to have to ditch one of the boards?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spcsnow, How many sets of bindings? If only one I'd be amazed if they spotted it. If they did you could just claim to be skier with a very wide ski for each leg
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two sets of bindings (me and the mrs), but I'm sure I could get one set in my hold luggage.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A few observations on the boarding/hand luggage issue:

The airlines have changed their model to cut fares based on quick turnaround based on less hold baggage and now offer choice – fly cheaply with only carry on luggage or pay more to check some. I’m fine with that.

Given the above they really shouldn’t be too surprised that people say thanks for the cheap fare, no thanks to the expensive checked bag, and then organise themselves to fit everything they need in hand luggage.

Then they realised they couldn’t fit all the hand luggage on board so imposed rules. In Easyjet’s case one bag of a set maximum size with no weight restriction so long as you can lift it into the overhead locker. I’m also fine with that.

Having been sat down at the airport for a bit I don’t mind stretching my legs before I board. I choose to do that leg stretching at the very front of the non-Speedy boarding queue. This means I’m amongst the first on board (generally not very many Speedys on the ski flights I take) and can therefore stash my bag in an overhead locker as I don’t like it near my feet. As so many people now travel with a max size bag if you’re not on early you won’t find a space in the locker.

If I’m hiring a car I do my best to be off fairly early to avoid the hire desk queue so I stand up in the aisle as soon as I can after the seat belt light has gone off. If I’m not hiring a car I really don’t care so chill out a bit then stroll on through. If offered the chance to check in my bag for free I would happily volunteer unless I’m car hiring.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DJL,
Quote:

If I’m hiring a car I do my best to be off fairly early to avoid the hire desk queue

One top tip is to find out which company the airline recommends for car hire, and avoid it. I think EasyJet have a hookup with Hertz. Consequently, you get a mile long queue at that desk whenever a EY flight comes in.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Conversely, I'm happy to stand in the queue for a few minutes in the terminal and frequently end up boarding first. I also get to set in seat 1A much of the time. I read while standing in the queue in the terminal and then stride on to the flight, sit down and can relax (while I watch everyone else queuing for ages just to get on the aircraft, shuffling down the jetway, struggling to find space for bags. I genuinely find my approach infinitely more relaxing and more civilised. Happily we all like different things and if others prefer to remain in the lounge until the last possible moment then that's fine by me.

+1

easyJet wrote:
easyJet increases cabin baggage allowance for easyJet plus customers

easyJet, the UK’s largest airline, has today announced that it will be allowing its easyJet plus customers to take a second bag, such as a handbag or laptop bag, into the cabin on flights.

easyJet plus customers are those who have an easyJet plus card, have purchased a Flexifare or who have purchased upfront or extra legroom seats.

All easyJet passengers will still be able to take on board a cabin bag of up to 56x45x25cm (including handles and wheels) with no charge or weight limit, which can be placed in the overhead locker. All passengers can also carry on board a duty free bag.

However, from 19 March, easyJet plus customers will be able to bring an additional bag - handbag or laptop sized - which can be placed under the seat in front, although for those passengers in front row or over wing seats, it will be placed in the overhead locker.

Peter Duffy, Commercial Director for easyJet, commented:

“easyJet is always looking to make travel easier for our passengers. We already have a generous cabin bag policy with no charge or weight limit, but some of our customers have been telling us they would like the option of an extra, smaller, under seat bag such as a handbag or lap-top case. From 19th March, we are introducing this for easyJet plus customers.

“easyJet plus customers are among our most frequent and loyal passengers and this is another way of recognising their importance to easyJet and providing them with more value when they fly with us.

“We believe we can provide this additional benefit to these passengers while not affecting our industry leading punctuality.”

easyJet plus is a membership card that already provides a variety of benefits, including speedy boarding, free advance seat selection, dedicated luggage drop off at check in and preferential rates on car hire and hotels. The card can be purchased via easyJetplus.com and annual membership is available from £149.

Upfront and overwing extra legroom seats can be reserved anytime from the time of booking to the day of travel and are priced between £4.99 and £10.99 with the front row seats priced between £8.99 and £15.99, depending on the route and flight.

easyJet’s FLEXI fares not only give flexibility but also convenience and simplicity. When passengers buy a FLEXI ticket they receive a whole host of benefits including Speedy Boarding, Fast Track security, one piece of hold luggage. They also have the flexibility to change to an earlier flight for free and free route changes (unless the new fare is higher, then the difference applies) and are eligible for unlimited free date changes in a 4 week period - from 1 week before to 3 weeks after the original travel date.

- See more at: http://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stories/9002#sthash.g07XIWLG.dpuf

Personally I am delighted with this. It will allow me keep my laptop bag (it is a genuine laptop bag, not a rucksack) out of my cabin bag.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@DJL,
Quote:

If I’m hiring a car I do my best to be off fairly early to avoid the hire desk queue

One top tip is to find out which company the airline recommends for car hire, and avoid it. I think EasyJet have a hookup with Hertz. Consequently, you get a mile long queue at that desk whenever a EY flight comes in.

easyJet use use Europcar.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy