Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are wider skis on piste leading to more injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
@laundryman, l understand you have a problem with foreigner views because of SB but I really was not having a go at Brits. It was a simple observation. Don't to so overly sensitive. I think it is more the ski industry marketing skis to Brits wider than they should to generate extra sales which I can understand as it is their business to increase sales. Tougher to do in an alpine skiing country where ski racing and ski clubs are more popular.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you were telling lies then when you were pretending to be British to lend weight to your argument, people can decide for themselves if that's the context you used it in, that's certainly what I took from it, basically you will say whatever whenever to make it fit your argument, my pendulum is swinging back to dislike Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
narc wrote:
There is obviouisly a greater force required to get them on edge you can feel this easily if your alignment is off. How this causes any or more injuries I have no idea. Injuries are likely caused by leverage in the opposite plane, the ones the binding release in. Sounds like more click-bait 'scientific' sensationalism.

I'd like to see solid data (collected globally spanning genders, age ranges and ability levels) that support the premise that wide skis cause more injuries before I make any sort of judgement. In the meantime, my own experience leads me to believe they cause no issues for me, personally. But I'm probably an exception due to the hypermobility thing.

My personal observations gathered over six winters in Chamonix lead me to the conclusion that people from Scandinavian countries are the largest demographic of wide ski users, followed by North Americans and then Chamomix locals and regular seasonnaires (I don't mean the young chalet host seasonnaires, I mean the older professionals who spend their winters skiing). I will start asking them if they have experienced more injuries since adopting fatties... in the interest of [informal] science, of course.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TTT wrote:
@laundryman, l understand you have a problem with foreigner views

For the hard of understanding and trolls:
laundryman wrote:
By the way, I own slalom skis. The only times I've used fat skis have been on the advice (to the point of compulsion) of local instructors and guides. A Frenchman in Montgenèvre and Canadians in Whistler. Good advice it was too, in the circumstances.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zero_G wrote:
narc wrote:
There is obviouisly a greater force required to get them on edge you can feel this easily if your alignment is off. How this causes any or more injuries I have no idea. Injuries are likely caused by leverage in the opposite plane, the ones the binding release in. Sounds like more click-bait 'scientific' sensationalism.

I'd like to see solid data (collected globally spanning genders, age ranges and ability levels) that support the premise that wide skis cause more injuries before I make any sort of judgement. In the meantime, my own experience leads me to believe they cause no issues for me, personally. But I'm probably an exception due to the hypermobility thing.

My personal observations gathered over six winters in Chamonix lead me to the conclusion that people from Scandinavian countries are the largest demographic of wide ski users, followed by North Americans and then Chamomix locals and regular seasonnaires (I don't mean the young chalet host seasonnaires, I mean the older professionals who spend their winters skiing). I will start asking them if they have experienced more injuries since adopting fatties... in the interest of [informal] science, of course.

Yet another "in the interest of science" means chat up all the young Scandinavians wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
speed098, honest guv, it's for the snowHeads massive!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TTT wrote:
... and have no plans to ever return to a country without skiing.

Huh Puzzled In the sweeping naivety of that statement, I can only assume you'd never left London or the Home Counties before you emigrated to the Alps.

If not, and there's some qualifying gate to what you categorise as 'skiiing', would you also say that for example, New Zealand doesn't have skiing too ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@geeo, Er - I think you will find that is what people do in arguments. There is no absolute truth. Am I British. Am I foreign. Both are true. I really don't want to know what you get up to in your personal life though. I have unexpectedly learnt how "broad" minded people in Colorado and Scotland are and I thought I was digressing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@moffatross, you are technically correct but I sound the driveway somewhat limited and conditions variable. I think Scotland is a different country and not sure a foreigner would really count indoor and dry slopes. Don't think too many foreigners fly to the UK so ski on plastic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gorilla wrote:
Are we really doing this again?

Fat skis are a crutch for people who can't ski off piste but skinny skis on piste are the right gear for the terrain. Tick!

An odd tone when discussing others' equipment choices and ability. Skiers who aren't as good as me are funny especially when they have the wrong gear. Tick!

A general assumption that no one other than me and my instructor knows anything about anything. My instructor said that...Tick!

Sweeping generalisations. Brits do this. The whole of Europe does something else. Tick!

Fat skis = new helmet.

I got to this, nodded sagely, then sat here slack-jawed as this circus carried on with no indication the audience was applauding. We could have ended this here folks, given gorilla the deserved plaudit, the accolade of SnowHead Sage and moved on. I'm a little perplexed if I'm honest.

For reference I'm 44, 5'6", 80kg (some muscle from humping around straw bales and feed but rather too much flab) and binned my Rossignol Z9Ti for a pair of 170 Experience 88s last year. I drink cider, not beer, and while my name is French, the family escaped to the UK during the Huguenot exodus about 300 years ago. I have a piece of paper, but it's got some scrabble scores on it and appears to offer no insight into my nationality.

I believe my peni s to be of average length, and helpfully it's a little thicker at the tip, which stops my hand sliding off. I class my skiing ability as "mostly upright", which I consider reasonable for 30weeks over 14 years. I wear a helmet, but wish I didn't. My wife snapped her ACL yesterday while on her skinny Dynastar carvers, while I didn't on my powder crutches.

I bought some new boots today, which was nice.

As non-sequiters go, I think I've nailed this..... Then I re-read the thread and realise I am but debutant when it comes to launching off the subject and into the dark abyss of unrelated nonsense. Did I mention that people I like and who like me, we tend to agree on stuff and so we MUST be right.

All this from an article that suggests a tenuous link twixt width and knee injuries. I'm hugely impressed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:

Stockholm syndrome.

Possibly… though I think:

Excessively attuned to reactions of others, but only if perceived as relevant to self; over- or underestimate of own effect on others

Excessive attempts to attract and be the focus of the attention of others

Feelings of entitlement, either overt or covert; self-centredness firmly holding to the belief that one is better than others; condescending toward others

Elevated sense of self-worth that they value themselves as inherently better than others, when in reality they have a fragile self-esteem, cannot handle criticism, and often try to compensate for this inner fragility by belittling or disparaging others in an attempt to validate their own self-worth

Expects to be recognised as superior and special, without superior accomplishments (I live abroad, and speak a foreign language, and am party to the 'real story' from the locals in a way that the rest of you aren't!)

might capture the story…
wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 15-02-15 22:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NoDosh Said ---- " ....Then I re-read the thread and realise I am but debutant when it comes to launching off the subject and into the dark abyss of unrelated nonsense..."

I enjoyed reading your post - and at least you have tried to bring it back on topic....

My contribution --- My Knees Hurt, What I Am I Doing Wrong??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@red 27, thanks - having a laugh is more important than nationality and ski width.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
miranda, how about 'provincial'?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't know why anyone is bothering to engage with the nonsense being served up by TTT. Stick to the topic folks, and especially to the words of wisdom imparted by somebody who does actually know what he's talking about, namely Jonathan Bell.
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
@moffatross, you are technically correct but I sound the driveway somewhat limited and conditions variable. I think Scotland is a different country and not sure a foreigner would really count indoor and dry slopes. Don't think too many foreigners fly to the UK so ski on plastic.

But your continual references were to 'Brits' and 'UK nationals'. Besides which, England has 'skiing' too at the likes of Weardale, Yad Moss and Raise etc. One of my friends who is a snowheads forum member was brought up on English skiing, and put in hundreds of days on those club fields before he ever had a holiday trip to the Alps.
latest report
@Pedantica, yes, that was a useful post!

By the way, did the shift to 85mm make a difference to your skiing on/off piste?
snow report
@miranda, I think you have read the young lady all wrong.... Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/tUYGzZ0tQpA
snow conditions
@miranda, I can ski more aggressively (for want of a better word) on piste, because of the added stiffness, and I think the bit of extra width is helpful off-piste, but that's more difficult for me to judge, as my off-piste skills are pants.
snow conditions
Quote:

We could have ended this here folks, given gorilla the deserved plaudit, the accolade of SnowHead Sage and moved on

Well that's very kind. But I think anyone who has met me will recognise that for the balls it is. In any case we can't possibly move on from this given how spectacularly this has unravelled. I am enthralled but then I changed more nappies today than I will get days skiing this year so I need to take my entertainment where I can find it.
ski holidays
I'm already worried that someone has confessed to using skiing to get to know me and I shall spend the rest of my life living underground in a cell never to experience the amazing wit and grasp of reality of SH. I really don't need any more stalkers thanks.
latest report
gorilla wrote:
I changed more nappies today than I will get days skiing this year so I need to take my entertainment where I can find it.
Woah, you're a dad? Geez, when did that happen?
snow report
Zero_G wrote:
gorilla wrote:
I changed more nappies today than I will get days skiing this year so I need to take my entertainment where I can find it.

or a mid wife/maternity nurse Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@moffatross, ah but the reference was to a country. Mates sent me links to the English places - looks a great day but was not convinced by my mate on guitar for apres. Got to be done sometime though.
snow conditions
TTT wrote:

Have talked to Americans, Canadians and Japanese at CFe ( indoor slope/fridge ). Had to help two Brazilians who had little grasp of English and my Spanish is not that good so was rather hilarious to put it polite. Especially when the mum went of to ski leaving her daughter who had zero grasp of English and less grasp of what two planks strapped to her feet were for. Now maybe they did not fly in specifically for the pleasure of skiing on 180m of fake snow but;

"build it and they will come". Toofy Grin

People ski every year in the Alps not because they went there specifically to ski but because they are there for a day or few days working and make the most of what is available and grateful for the chance.

Scotland is still part of the UK for now so not a different country in that sense, but accept they do have a seperate national identity.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Zero_G wrote:
gorilla wrote:

I met gorilla about six years ago on a rope work course... he did not strike me a midwife or nurse Shocked But I could be wrong.
latest report
speed098 wrote:
Had to help two Brazilians who had little grasp of English and my Spanish is not that good so was rather hilarious to put it polite.

Especially as they speak Portuguese in Brazil Laughing
snow report
TTT wrote:
... and I shall spend the rest of my life living underground in a cell never to experience the amazing wit and grasp of reality of SH.

Your loss then (but possibly sHs gain Toofy Grin ), there is some amazing wit (and knowledge too, not always ski related) on sHs if you would only look. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TTT,
When in a hole, stop digging! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

can't believe the way this thread has gone on, and on, and on, rolling eyes
ski holidays
Yes Yes! I know, I'll set the crazy bu66er off again! Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Geez, when did that happen?

9 months ago to the day. It is playing havoc with my skiing. Although being British, it sucked to start with.
snow report
NoDosh wrote:
speed098 wrote:
Had to help two Brazilians who had little grasp of English and my Spanish is not that good so was rather hilarious to put it polite.

Especially as they speak Portuguese in Brazil Laughing

But they also spoke Spanish and as my sum knowledge of Portuguese is absolute zero Spanish it was.
snow report
@Pedantica, er you just did. I think we all agreed that it might but probably doesn't a long time ago so the width of equipment is well um tiresome. But I would actually go narrower as feel more helpful for developing technique which helps most and then go wider.
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
halfhand wrote:
Zero_G wrote:
gorilla wrote:

I met gorilla about six years ago on a rope work course... he did not strike me a midwife or nurse Shocked But I could be wrong.

I suspect not Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, there are some xenophobes and people who take it all too seriously when skiing should be fun but I totally agree there are certainly some people who know their stuff and you can have a banter with even if you disagree.
snow report
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

Geez, when did that happen?

9 months ago to the day. It is playing havoc with my skiing. Although being British, it sucked to start with.

Yebbut only 5 years 3 months to go til gorilla jnr is spanking your ass on skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

Yebbut only 5 years 3 months to go til gorilla jnr is spanking your ass on skis.

And only 16 years until she is making expat Brits ashamed to hold a British passport by misbehaving in the Alps. My chest swells with pride in anticipation.
latest report
gorilla, Laughing
Congrats, mister (or commiserations, depending on the current state of your sleep-deprived sanity wink)!
snow conditions
miranda wrote:
davidof wrote:

Stockholm syndrome.

Possibly… though I think:

[i]Excessively attuned to reactions of others, but only if perceived as relevant to self; over- or underestimate of own effect on others

I've seen the Stockholm thing with a few ex-pats. It is quite amusing. A couple of years living in some country and they are speaking with some ridiculous accent in English claiming "aye 'af forgotten all my engleesh" like some extra from 'allo 'allo. They then take on some of the worst traits of the locals, in France that might be being the most bolshy revolutionary socialist in the village, in Germany they will be slagging off the "insel affen" and their appauling plumbing.
latest report
Blimey Madeye-Smiley -you stay away from a post for a few days, and then look what happens!
Good to see there has been an attempt to bring it back to what it was originally about. For the avoidance of doubt (and to stick it to any xenophobic narcissistic know it alls out there) here's my take on why I ski on fat skis.
1. I am an "advanced" -as in OK piste skier who likes to go off piste. I would never say I am brilliant, good, expert...but am better than most british recreational skiers. I still take lessons from time to time.
2. I like to head off piste, and find that fat kit helps. I am quite happy to accept that I'd be sh*t if I didn't have some fancy wide skis to help me.
3. Every year for the last 6 years or so, I've been fortunate to be able to test skis of all dimensions for a couple of days at the start of the season in Zermatt. Most of the time, that means skiing on piste. I have tested many 80mm plus skis, and a few piste skis. Being a relatively lightweight middle age female, I am struck more and more by how much easier fat skis have become to ski on piste.
4. I made a conscious decision to buy 97mm twin tips (Nordica Soulriders) 3 seasons ago and had a blast on them. My narrower Volkl Kenjas (88mm) barely got a look in. The SRs were easier to ski than the stiffer Volkls.
5. This season I find myself on some 105mm Liberty skis- and despite spending virtually all my time on piste over Christmas, found I enjoyed skiing them even more!
6. Given that ski trips involve a flight and paying for ski carriage, I want to take skis that take me everywhere. Such are the limitations of my abilities, I like fat skis that work on piste as I can use them, rather than skinnier ones that are harder to work off piste.
7. Yes, an instructor would probably think this was a bit daft. I readily accept that improving my technique would be helped by a pair of skinnier skis, but we all make compromises.
8. Having said all that...am thinking of treating myself to some more piste orientated skis for next season. Watch this space!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy