Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine or La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
am considering going to either of these resorts (have been to La Plagne some years before) and to be honest Flaine would suit given proximity to GVA. My concern is with reading about these potential crevasse type voids in the underlying limestone rock. Are these so common place that they necessitate a guide for all off piste in Flaine or are there certain sections where these occur and are marked accordingly. No need to discuss obvious general risks assocaited with going off piste without a guide. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
potential crevasse type voids in the underlying limestone rock
rjp123 not sure what you are on about.
Please elucidate.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming you mean the bloody great holes, and occasional wierd mushrooms-of-snow, they are pretty common ime, I wouldn't go offpiste in Flaine outside a lesson/guide. Even just between pistes it's very much more tricky than other places I've been. La Plagne on the otherhand has a lot of accessible near-piste that I am comfortable on and places I go on a lesson which I'm sure others would be quite happy with unguided. And linked Les Arcs has the naturides too, plus it's own share of good accessible off-piste. However I'm only off-piste occasionally, not an experienced piste-avoider and have only been to Flaine once, so if others think otherwise - believe them Wink

aj x
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonpim wrote:
not sure what you are on about. Please elucidate.

Elucidation:

From Hors Piste: The whole of the Flaine bowl is chalk based. A chemical action of water and salt deposits erodes large holes in this rock, rain water then runs into these holes further eroding the surface into large irregular channels, this surface is known as Lapiaz (sometimes Lapiez in the Savoie). From the point of view of the skier or snow shoer going off-piste the dangers are the same as crossing glaciated terrain. Snow bridges of varying strength form across these fissures and particular care should be taken early in the season or in seasons with poor snow fall. There are deaths and serious injuries every year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks AJ
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjp123, i Understand your concern but it really only affects the Flaine plateau itself I think and not the rest of the GM. It's not a big issue IME, especially later in the season.

Also, they don't migrate the way crevasses do, so locations are well known.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The biggest ones also have wire mesh/netting over them. People do still fall down them occasionally (the non-netted ones).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rjp123, thank you for Elucidation.
Seems clear to me: La Plagne is the place to go. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 20:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The major quip I have with La Plagne is massive lift queues and very slow lifts
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rjp123, Flaine is an utter hole and its main bowl is dull (crevasses notwithstanding)

La Plagne is also very ugly but has much more extensive and varied skiing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, that's at least one person less in Flaine for those who disagree.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all,
I think its best to park the discussion when we are arguing over whether La Plagne or Flaine is easier on the eye! Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for La Plagne having been to both in the last 2 years, for the variety although they both have weaknesses in terms of lift connection bottlenecks. Maybe my architectural standards are low but I find neither particularly ugly. We have much uglier cities.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy