Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How snow-sure is Serre Chevalier?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I know nowhere is guaranteed snow, but I'm looking to book somewhere for a week the first week of April.

Default will be the 3 Valleys - VT or Meribel, to give good access. However, we went to SC last year around February and loved it, and want to go again.

So I'm wondering whether to give it a punt this year, or maybe wait until mid season next year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@t40ora, as most of the slopes are North facing, early April should still be fine. It may be getting slushy at the bottom in the afternoon, but then so will Meribel. I've skied there many times in April and never been disappointed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, Thanks!

Last year the same week was indeed very slushy in Meribel. Yeah, I admit it - we took the lift back more often than not.

I'll add SC to the trawl list; we won't book yet, waiting for some late deals, but it opens up the options.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied SC in May, not sure they open that late anymore, Helen?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, no, last weekend in April is usually closing day, although I do remember it being open until the first May holiday weekend on a couple of occasions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I once skied in VT for a few days and returned to SC for the latter half of the week to find the snow in better condition.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One of the best days I've ever had was last day of the season, monetier just doing laps under the yret chair in a ft of fresh snow. IIRC it was the 2nd weekend in May..2001/2 season I think.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK. Sc definitely on the list!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SC is southern French Alps so spring starts a bit earlier. It is fairly low at resort level but goes up relatively high. Most importantly, it is north facing so holds the snow well.
Some of the lower slopes in SC have quite steep bits low down which can become a bit treacheous if it rains/melts and then re-freezes. I've seen the bottom half of piste Luc Alfond Alphond? be like a steep skating ring with lots of falling people raining down parts of it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like others on this thread I have skied Serre Che quite a bit in April and generally had very good conditions the only slight caveat I would add is that one year we did cancel when the conditions were a bit marginal, This was also true of many other resorts. However Serre Che did a bit worse than most because there were a series of strong westerlies that year which denuded the generally very reliable upper slopes of a lot of their snow.
Have had quite a lot of excellent powder there in April as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought snow was poor in serre chevalier this year? Of course that could change but maybe better to book somewhere with better base?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@peanuthead, base has improved greatly since you last looked I think. http://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/ski-alpes/live/meteo/ . Rather a lot of snow during our last few days and more since I believe.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peanuthead wrote:
I thought snow was poor in serre chevalier this year? Of course that could change but maybe better to book somewhere with better base?

We had a fantastic week skiing there in January. I think talk of the snow being poor is primarily from people wanting to go touring.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Piste skiing was excellent for most of our holiday, and we were there for 3 weeks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As we will be booking late, I'll obviously look for the best snow - but it is nice to know that this will be on the list.

I really liked the resort in addition to the pistes.
ski holidays
I am probably mistaken about poor snow coverage then. One of regular posters from down that way has referenced poor snow, but that may well be related to touring
snow report
@peanuthead, I assume you mean Weathercam . He was indeed talking about touring. Snow cover was a bit thin earlier in the season, but obviously there has been some snowfall since then.
snow conditions
I think base was a bit thin earlier on pistes because as well as lower than normal early snow, it was too warm for the usual snow cannon work to be done during Dec

However while I was there last week, they were blasting snow cannons form lift close to lift open all over the resort and I assume stockpiling this for later/building up the base.

I wouldn't be any more concerned than usual about April skiing now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy