Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance recomendation - no helmet!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was taught to play Gin Rummey by a gentleman who would always tell me about a new rule just as I won and hence invalidating the claim. He may or may not have worked in the insurance industry.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink wrote:
Here's the ideal ski helmet for those people who don't like to give the impression that they are waearing a ski helmet!

Laughing

LOL - I don't know why, but that is one of the most revolting images I've seen in a very long time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink wrote:
Here's the ideal ski helmet for those people who don't like to give the impression that they are waearing a ski helmet!

Laughing

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Wow, brilliant, this might (almost) make me consider wearing one except I've still got hair. How about a more hirsute one, love this!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ha ha ha!! I was using search to find something else, kept getting no results, so I thought b*r this I'll search for "helmet" to see if search is working at all. What a great day to choose to do it!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Following allBob's experience, I too contacted Insure&Go asking what they meant by:

"You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet."

I got the response:

"Unfortunately, we have to confirm that we will only cover claims if you wear a helmet whilst skiing. We are sorry we could not offer a more positive response."

So it does look like you will get different responses depending on who you talk too. Regardless of this, I think it's a big heads up to sit up and take notice of Neiltoo's comment earlier that, legally, Insure and Go can interpret "appropriate and recommended safety precautions" to mean whatever they want to. It follows that you can only be insured if you go on the slopes looking like Judge Dredd with full body armor.

Not going into the pros and cons of helmet, it's just that I don't want to, but more importantly, IT'S NOT SAFE TO BELIEVE YOU ARE INSURED with I&G. They have an easy get-out argument.

I'm probably going for Alpha Travel, and the underlying insurer is URV Union Reiseversicherung AG, a monster German banking group. Nothing in the policy about helmets, and I've had email confirmation too. There are other agents that use the same insurer at a higher price with more of the frilly add-on cover you don't really need. Arguably, the main things are Medical Emergency/Repatriation, Personal Liability, Legal expenses. Travel disruption and airline/agent problems would be nice too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
...well, well, well.

Just looking at the I&G policy under "R6 Winter Sport Activities". There is a list of activities many of which are marked with an asterix. Just below this is the quote:
"...for these (asterixed) activities cover under the personal accident and personal liability sections also does not apply"

So for example if you go snowmobiling and frighten a coach driver off the road with a full load of wealthy tourists who decided to sue you, you're not covered.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anotheroutrage wrote:
Regardless of this, I think it's a big heads up to sit up and take notice of Neiltoo's comment earlier that, legally, Insure and Go can interpret "appropriate and recommended safety precautions" to mean whatever they want to. It follows that you can only be insured if you go on the slopes looking like Judge Dredd with full body armor.

Not going into the pros and cons of helmet, it's just that I don't want to, but more importantly, IT'S NOT SAFE TO BELIEVE YOU ARE INSURED with I&G. They have an easy get-out argument.

Full body armour would not be considered as "appropriate and recommended" though would it?

Most companies will have a similar clause to wiggle out of one thing or another, but they can only use them to a reasonable extent. If your insurance company refused to pay out because you went dressed up like a Stormtrooper then I suspect that you wouldn't need to shout "breach of contract" too hard in the direction of the court system before they came round to your way of thinking. There are a few grey areas though. I suspect that a snowboarder with a broken wrist would struggle for payout if they didn't have wrist guards...which could be interesting if the same injury happened to a skier. Arguably wrist guards are recommended for a boarder but less so for skiers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weasel words = run a mile.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just checked my new insurance docs. No mention of helmet wearing when skiing..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wouldn't use a Stormtrooper outfit. They gave no protection against Rebel fire and just went down like bowling pins, if you remember.

yorkshirelad, would be useful for everyone to say which insurance broker and who the underwriter is (usually near the front of the policy document).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Here's the ideal ski helmet for those people who don't like to give the impression that they are wearing a ski helmet!

Laughing

Most likely costummade for David Goldsmith Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The R6 clause in I&G's policy doc includes skiing or snowboarding in a fun park. So any accident within an area designated as a fun park is not covered for personal liability. So woe betide you if you accidently ski into a park and have an accident and the third party tries to sue you!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From what I can tell, and it's not massively straightforward, my policy with travelinsurance.co.uk (which I think is a trading name of Insure & Go) is underwritten by Mapfre. It also seems to include cover (including personal injury) for:
Skeletons
Skiing
Ski acrobatics
Ski bob racing
Ski/snowboard fun parks
Ski racing or training (non-professional)
Ski stunting
Ski touring with a guide
Sleigh rides (as part of a Christmas trip
to Northern Europe)
Snorkelling
Snowboarding
Snowmobiling

...but for £45 for an annual policy I'm not sure how much they'd stick to that without being weasels.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just got Flexicover (for a pre-existing hip resurfacing condition) and they dont insist on a helmet for skiing either.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodyMcFlude,
Quote:

From what I can tell, and it's not massively straightforward, my policy with travelinsurance.co.uk (which I think is a trading name of Insure & Go) is underwritten by Mapfre. It also seems to include cover (including personal injury) for:
Skeletons
Skiing
Ski acrobatics
Ski bob racing
Ski/snowboard fun parks
Ski racing or training (non-professional)
Ski stunting
Ski touring with a guide
Sleigh rides (as part of a Christmas trip
to Northern Europe)
Snorkelling
Snowboarding
Snowmobiling

You'd imagine that skeleton's wouldn't need much in the way of cover -apart from 6ft of earth.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy