Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance recomendation - no helmet!

Poster: A snowHead
Without getting into a debate about helmet wearing, can anyone recomend an insurance policy that doesn't require me to wear a helmet. I'm just looking for regular ski holiday cover.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ins & Go do require one - that was the only policy that I looked at which did.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I recommend you wear a helmet Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Neiltoo, welcome to SH, looks like I disagree with Scrumpy. reading through the policy i've got from Insure And Go, they don't require you to wear helmets, plus their cover was quite reasonable for a family annual policy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies, I too am currently insured with Insure and Go and could find no mention of helmet wearing in the policy wording so I called them to check. They told me it is required. They have clearly added a clause to the policy wording since I took the policy out. I'm not sure how they can do this without informing me but regardless I need to find a new insurer.

Mike-H - thanks for your recomendation. After spending 400 weeks on snow and a lifetime working in the ski industry I trust myself to decide when, and when not, to wear my helmet. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
400 weeks on snow and no insurance you must be very lucky guy!! Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shorty wrote:
400 weeks on snow and no insurance you must be very lucky guy!! Shocked

?? I do have insurance, I'm usually over insured. As I pointed out I've just discovered that my policy has been changed!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Neiltoo, The policy docs on the I&G website which state helmet required are dated june 2014, if you took the policy out before then, then you (and they) need to look at what the policy wording was then. They can't just change the wordings and apply it to pre-existing policies.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting (in a really uninteresting way...) My old policy doc doesn't mention it, the NEW one does, and it does state...

Quote:
You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet

That clause has been added between september last year and now...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW wrote:
@Neiltoo, The policy docs on the I&G website which state helmet required are dated june 2014, if you took the policy out before then, then you (and they) need to look at what the policy wording was then. They can't just change the wordings and apply it to pre-existing policies.

Thanks Rob, I had hoped that that would be the case. I just emailed them to check. I did take my policy out in March 2014. It's still valid for my next trip but after that I will need to look elsewhere.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Neiltoo, Lloyds
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:
@Neiltoo, Lloyds

Thanks, I'll check them out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear a helmet - it keeps your ears cozy....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The creep of 'helmet imposition' into ski insurance policies is deplorable, since there's no evidence that the boom in their sales has reduced serious head injuries.

It suggests that helmet suppliers may be in collusion with insurers in trying to make helmets mandatory.

Skiers don't experience unusual risk of head injury. Helmets have made ski slopes look more dangerous than they really are, have made skiers look like they're part of a more dangerous sport than is actually the case. Helmets have quite possibly made skiers go faster and take more risks.

Helmets have made skiing look a lot less friendly than it previously looked ... in woolly bobble hats.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Being an Insurance Broker, I`ve just checked with my Travel Insurance providers, and there certainly isn't any restrictions in place that says helmets must be worn on any policies that we sell. It must be something that certain providers have inserted recently.
latest report
Surely this is all missing the point of insurance. Insurance is a gamble; as a user, the insured has the choice to abide by the strictures imposed in the policy or not. It is not compulsory to have cover.

If you worry enough to insist on the safety net - then why not wear a helmet?
snow report
c44rver wrote:
Insurance is a gamble;

I insure myself precisely because I dont like to gamble!
snow report
@Neiltoo,
Quote:

You're then gambling that the amount you pay out in premiums won't be more than the amount you end up claiming.
ski holidays
Fogg Travel Insurance - no helmet required (I did just scour the policy wording just in case!) and off-piste included as standard.
ski holidays
Steve Sparks wrote:
@Neiltoo,
Quote:

You're then gambling that the amount you pay out in premiums won't be more than the amount you end up claiming.

I wouldnt call that gambling! But each to their own!! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Neiltoo, pretty certain Snowcard makes no such restriction.

Helmets are not just for safety, has anyone had any success sticking a GoPro mount to a woolly bobble hat yet?
latest report
Insurance isnt a gamble. Insurance is in place to reinstate you in to the financial position you were previously in, in the event of an incident. Insurance is purchased because most humans cannot afford the astronomical medical fees charged abroad.

I am sure there are insurers out there who would ask if you wear a helmet as part of their proposal to determine the cost of the policy? I work in insurance however unfortunately do not have any dealings in travel insurance.
snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:

Helmets are not just for safety, has anyone had any success sticking a GoPro mount to a woolly bobble hat yet?

I'd be worried the GoPro mount would come through the wooly hat and hurt my head......... ah! but wait...... Shocked
snow conditions
As pointed out Insurance is a gamble for the person taking out the insurance, and likewise a bet for the Insurance Company.

As with Car Insurance, the Insurer is looking for a known risk, and wearing a helmet is a way of reducing the risk. I fully agree that skiing in a helmet should be a choice, but from the Insurance Companies viewpoint, are there any general situations where wearing a helmet makes an incident worse, and answer is probably no. Given the choice of hitting my head, or being hit on the head by anything else, with or without a helmet, I would always choose to wear a helmet.

The clause also gives them one more excuse not to payout on a policy. It could be considered as similar to the notification of all modifications on a car policy. However irrelevant the modification might be, it can still be used as a get out clause.
snow conditions
gixxerniknik wrote:

Velcro

But it does cause more camera shake and your viewers end up vomiting NehNeh
ski holidays
For those that chose not to have Insurance, let me just highlight one part of the policy that most forget about. The Liability section. When skiing, if theres an accident, then at least if you are held responsible, you wont end up bankrupt if you are responsible and lose. As skiing is usually an expensive enough past time, but to lose your house and anything else, just because you wanted to save a very, very small percentage of the actual cost of the trip, then good luck. Id panic if I ever went up the mountain without any. That's not eve taking into account the cost of being taken off the mountain in the case of a simple injury.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Helmets have quite possibly made skiers go faster and take more risks.

That is my belief too.
ski holidays
My insurance is a general holiday policy and has no restrictions nor even mentions ski helmets. Paid out two years ago when I made a mess of my knee in Italy without batting an eyelid Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having suffered from a non ski related head injury I personally think helmets are a good idea, but it is a choice, and I hope you find the insurance to suit. I also had a friend who managed to hit himself in the helmet with his own ski recently having lost it on some ice. But this could go off an a tangent.

I imagine many insurers will make it mandatory to wear a helmet, or rather use it as an avoidance clause.
snow conditions
Neiltoo wrote:
Without getting into a debate about helmet wearing

That was wishful thinking!
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:

Cut a hole in the woolly hat for the GoPro to poke through and use araldite to stick the mount to your head
latest report
Having had 12 hours of surgery by way of a craniotomy to get a tumour out a few years ago, I now wear a helmet.

Insure and Go were one of the few providers through whom I could get any travel cover, and they changed their terms last year to include the helmet clause.

I've never seen it in any of the others, and I (sadly) had to read through many of them before selecting I & G.

Gopro installed for my trip next week - Dainese helmets are very comfortable too! Toofy Grin
snow report
Little tip I learnt the hard way...Best if you shave your head where the go pro pad is to be glued, Very Happy
snow report
@yorkshirelad, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks for all the very helpful ideas about woolly hat GoPro mounting, but I'd like to say that at the rate I'm going bald I should be able to use one of those suction cup mounts stuck directly to my head, which of course means I'd have to cut a hole in my helmet. Laughing
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Interesting (in a really uninteresting way...) My old policy doc doesn't mention it, the NEW one does, and it does state...

Quote:
You must always adopt and follow the appropriate and recommended safety precautions when undertaking any winter sport activity inclusive of, but not limited to, the wearing of a safety helmet

That clause has been added between september last year and now...

Am I missing something, but that reads to me that they could insert any item they feel like it to avoid paying? Hurt your back, oh you hadn't got a back protector on sorry no payout. Hurt your wrist, oh no wrist guards sorry no payout.
latest report
Could do a forehand mounting.. It does stay on longer and is a great talking point in the bar Very Happy
snow report
Just searched Direct Travel policy wording -- no mentions of Helmets for skiing
snow report
Quote:
GoPro mount

In some parts of the skiing world sticking anything on your helmet which it did not come with is considered a modification of that helmet and thus any certification the helmet has become void. I can see two possible consequences of this: helmet manufacturers agree a standard accessory mount which they build in; or insurance companies decide such "modified" helmets are not acceptable.
latest report
@oofaafuu, I like your username Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy