Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stolen Equipment

Poster: A snowHead
So me and a pal had our ski’s stolen while away last week in Andorra – two sets locked together and to the ski rack also a few days later a guy came into the same bar saying his board had gone missing

So I’m wondering

How rife is ski/board theft?

And what do you think happens to the skis/boards – just used by the thief - sold second hand – would I be too sceptical in thinking they could end up in hire shops?

Any thoughts?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

would I be too sceptical in thinking they could end up in hire shops?

Yes. The prices hire shops pay for new rental kit would make it completely ridiculous to even contemplate paying for stolen goods, if nothing else.

Theft happens though. Slightly surprised any toe rag could be bothered getting through a lock though?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unless the lock was one of the cheap combination jobs with a thin cable, it sounds like a case of being tooled up looking for something to take. A thin cable would only take a pair of pliers ( which most multi tools have), whereas something thicker would need a hacksaw or bolt croppers.

Were the skis particularly new, expensive, unique, etc. I have heard of a few cases of people being followed to see where skis are being left, so if you went to the same bar every day, they knew where to look.

Expensive/desirable equipment probably targeted for resale on eBay or equivalent, lower spec stuff taken by opportunist and sold for fraction of worth.

I use a thick cable lock for any location with access by foot, whether on the mountain or resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Makes me wonder if Fischer are missing out on a sales pitch since re-introducing the cutout tip on there race skis. You could easily pass a good quality "D" lock through them and around soemthing to secure them.

Re ski shops and theft if found out it would destroy their business never mind the legal implications so very unlikely they would knowingly be involved in any theft's. and as under a new name, has said the price they pay for rental gear is cheap enough anyway. I think PowderAdict, has it right most are stolen for resale on sites like fleebay, plus a few who maybe because they had theirs stolen or lost one ski etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a thin lock, really don't want to be skiing around with a big heavy cable lock on me, and for me its the deterrent really, and more importantly the token effort means the insurance company will pay out.

Were your skis the only ones around at the time? Always feel a bit uncomfortable if that is the case, and try to leave them at least somewhere well lit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm afraid it's almost a daily occurance during the season in most resorts, the ones which are really bad are when a gang clears out an apartment blocks ski lockers overnight!

Personally I suspect that skis are stolen in one resort and then resold in another region, say a gang starts in Chamonix clears a few ski lockers, moves on to PDS sells what they stole in Chamonix ditching the crap on their way, clears a few ski lockes in PDS and moves on to say 3Vs, repeat and rinse.

In most resorts there's an usually an agreement that if a shop gets anothers gear they just give it back and little point in stealing it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cheers guys - I think you are right about the hire shops - they were new this year and it was a cable type lock which wouldn't have taken much to cut. The police said it happens often which made me think it was a local racket, It just got me thinking if so many are stolen where they all end up Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ive been in Austria for the season, we regularly get hire skis going missing from apres bars, but its usually a mistake and they get returned the morning after.

We have also had a few pairs of private skis go missing, usually nice, high end newish stuff. I personally think its just light fingered holiday makers who see a pair of skis they want and take them (Fuelled by 6% beer and Jaeger). Non of the skis were locked, not even a cheapy retractable. You have to wonder how may people would leave a £600 mountain bike unlocked outside a pub in the UK ?

But skis being stolen with a lock sounds like prior planning, i would guess you could make a good living driving round ski resorts and nicking 1 pair of skis a night.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use this Dakine lock http://eu.dakine.com/p/backpacks-and-gear/accessories/snowboard/cam-lock

It isn't that heavy fits easily in a pocket, and would take more than a casual attempt to cut through. I've also used it to lock bags together during long waits at airports etc, or on trains when bags are out of sight.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like a bigger problem than I realised. Something to be said for hiring crappy skis.

Seems like a decent lock works, but maybe a light-weight lock just highlights its valuable, might be good enough to halt the inadvertent taking but not good enough to deter a determined thief?

Assume the old trick of splitting the skis still works as long as the thief isnt a vindictive b**tard and you can remember where the other one is after a few sherberts.

Anyone ever stop to think about those "bargains" on fleabay?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had our gear stolen out of the back of a transfer bus. Put it in the luggage as instructed then got on the bus at the airport. Apparently this sort of thing is rife at some of the airports, after all, who questions someone carrying a board bag at Chambery? Needless to say, if we do go on a bus now, one of us will stay outside until the luggage hold is closed and the bus about to leave. It has made me very untrusting and I always lock up the skis if we stop anywhere
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm careless, I'm afraid. I did have a pair of skis stolen once but I'd left them at a bus stop, on the road through the village, on a Sunday, then gone down for a beer. Stupid (though they did have a broken binding, which is why I was taking the bus, so not a great haul for the thief). I leave skis on my terrace for weeks on end (garden floor, accessible on foot), never lock them outside restaurants (sometimes swap if someone else suggests it) and in many years of skiing have never had any stolen, and neither has anyone I've been skiing with. I've been lucky, though I also ski in an area with very little theft. I am also careless with my doors and windows at home in the UK and have no burglar alarm. Also been lucky.

One day I will be burgled, or have my skis stolen, but meanwhile I've spent over half a century not fretting! Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If my memory is right was there not a situation in st Anton at the crazy kanguru were some of the bar staff were caught stealing customers skis,I think they were caught.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 12-02-15 11:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 13-02-15 21:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If my memory is right was there not a situation in st Anton at the crazy kangaroo were some of the bar staff were caught stealing customers skis,I think they were caught.
ski holidays
Sorry the mooserwirt.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy