Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Falke Socks

Poster: A snowHead
Can any of you enlighten me as to the various merits / pitfalls of the differing Falke range... is there much difference between the SK1s and SK2s, for example?

I've only used "cheapie" ski socks in the past, going for 4 days this year so want to avoid any unnecessary grief on the feet, and thought I'd treat myself to some proper ones...

Have heard good things about Falke (I know others are available too...)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
one is too chunky (SK1 I think?).
I have exclusively SK2's which are a bit thinner, but still padded (and TK2 for walking, etc.)
think there's an SK4 too which are ultra thin.

which you choose really depends on boot fit

I'm sure there are other brands that are just as good, but Falke is everywhere here, they work, and I prefer 8 identical pairs for a ski trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have the Falke Energizing socks. They are compression socks, so are quite tight to get on, but don't move during a days skiing.

Also, because the are compression socks, they retain their shape very well, and I can wear a pair for days in a row without them becoming baggy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @andy, I was leaning towards SK2s...

My boots aren't super-tight, but definitely "snug" so I didn't really want anything too thick; I suspect the SK4s would be overdoing it
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DannySimpson, I'm unconvinced that socks make enough difference to be loyal to any one brand. I have a variety of Falke's and the only difference I perceive is in thickness. I also like Thyo. And Smartwool.

The Falke's are, at least in Chamonix, eye-wateringly expensive.

Nothing wrong with something like this and one 1/10th the price http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ski-socks-first-heat-grey-id_8111630.html#v1157889
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @PowderAdict,

@under a new name: I had looked at the decathlon store, will try and pop in to have a look and stop guessing online!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have had a couple of pairs of Falke socks for a few seasons and am very happy with them. I am not sure that they make a huge difference, however I do not normally have boot problems, but they do feel nice and comfy.

I had noticed at first that they are marked L and R, until one evening I realise I had been wearing two left ones. Maybe that is why I struggled that day?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
haha. that's nothing. at least one snowHead has managed to get foot in wrong ski boot before! (and also wrong walking boot) Wink

Brand is not important. Decent quality is, and consistency (IME).

Just here, everything is Falke. go in to any department store, and there are racks and racks of Falke (but the ski, hike, bike etc. ones are hidden on a different floor). Falke base layers too, but at least there's Odlo to compete with them there. No Thorlos or Smartwool, or... etc. here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy, what do the SK4s cost your way, €35 in Chamonix... Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
probably about that. they're rare. hardly ever see them on the shelf. think SK2's were €20ish the last time I bought a pair (but mostly they appear in my christmas stocking)

had a feeling they did some merino and silk ones a few years back, too. they were steep.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Edge and Wax have a good selection of Falke Ski Socks.
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/advancedsearch.aspx?Term=falke
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Smartwool is nice. I also have a pair of 'X-action' or something which are comfortable and well padded in the right places.

I was astonished at the difference in comfort when I switched from crap socks to better socks in my third year / week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Switching from crap boots to better ones make a bigger difference !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, definitely: bought my first pair a few years ago. Don't particularly suffer from the cold, but if I get any (socks) would want them to be an "investment" as opposed to just another pair...

SK2s for less than £20 on Amazon. I had some thorlos for an expedition to Svalbard and they were amazing, but I've not seem them anywhere since (although I've not been looking)

Thanks all for you input Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Switching from crap boots to better ones make a bigger difference !

Very true! (My own boots were my next, substantially more expensive, purchase...)

That said, 'tube socks' are so evil that I imagine they would ruin even the best boots in the world.
snow conditions
I bought some Falke socks and I don't particularly like them, and the reason might sound weird!

They are bold colours and shiney, and shiney is the problem. Compared to my dull smartwool socks they seem a bit slidey in a boot.

Sounds weird even to me rolling eyes
latest report
I have Falke, Salomon and every other branded socks and convince myself they are worth the cost (obviously having the L and R on the relevant foot is imperative wink but my son who is an instructor wears normal socks that you'd wear to the office.
snow conditions
Quote:

wears normal socks that you'd wear to the office.

I wore normal socks my first year and found that they gave me horrible friction burns / blisters on my shins, though part of this will have been me grinding the tips of my soft beginner skis into the slope as hard as I could in my quest to figure out carving... (I assume this is less of a problem for most instructors...).
snow report
Quote:

Compared to my dull smartwool socks they seem a bit slidey in a boot.

Sounds weird even to me

Not at all...

Quote:

... wears normal socks that you'd wear to the office

I'm not sure my Next Christmas stocking fillers would do me any good!
snow conditions
Found the Falke energizer socks which i didnt know i had in my suitcase that the wife packed and i must say they were excellent , at the end of a very long day skiing trying to keep up with my son on his mission to ski from the first lift up until the last with no coffee,lunch or bombadino break ,my feet felt great no need to massage them as soon as you take your boots off so i will definitely buy another pair for next season.
ski holidays
I have been using their SK4 socks as long as I remember. They are far from cheap, but they are probably thinnest socks out there, and they easily last whole season for me (well... 3 pairs of them Smile). Everything else is just to thick to fit normally in race boots I'm using, so I'm pretty happy with them. I have been using few others next to Falke, but they were much worse for just euro or two less. I can't say about SK2 or SK1, but I doubt they are much worse then SK4, except they are thicker and therefore also warmer.
latest report
@jogi, thicker <> warmer

Better fit = warmer
snow report
I start with very thin socks and then as my liner wears start wearing slightly thicker ones (still thin to medium in ski socks). To be honest the difference is about 3 micro turns on the buckle, not worth bothering about unless you have a new custom liner.

Now touring... try compression socks, brilliant for the anti blister arsenal Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy