Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nevis Back Corries - will I die?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been to Nevis a few times and enjoyed it, folks keep talking about the back Corries. How good do you need to be, do you need to go with a local/ guide/ someone who knows what they are doing?

I would say im decent piste skier but average off piste. Have managed to do a lot of Glen Coe when theres plenty snow, but always bottled out of the flypaper.

Have never been up Nevis when there has been any Viz to even look down into corries
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you die? Yes I'm afraid you will, but hopefully not for a long time.

Go try it, someone who knows their way around would be nice but you don't need a guide.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't need a guide but appropriate avy gear is recommended/mandatory imo and ffs know how to use it. Main bowl that most people refer to isn't too prone to sliding but don't be taking any stupid chances......far to many people you see doing it with no gear. Check with ski patrol at the summit hut and they'll fill you in on conditions. Depending on entrances it can be a bit scary. Usually cornices but not too big. Quite often they cut the cornices to give easier entrances however the entrances will be steep if the cornice has been chopped off instead of a wee drop.

The drop in/entrance is the scariest bit, slope eases out pretty fast. Easiest entrances on skiers left looking down into the backs then gets progressively harder up to chancer then even harder if you skip along into the next corrie. If you fall you should be alright, might just be a long walk back up to pick up your skis....tend to keep sliding after you fall Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My first ever foray into the backs was following stevomcd in the mist without a clue as to what was beneath me. Deep powder though and still ranks as one of the best days I've ever had out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@scotabroad, the entry can be fairly steep and fast, after that there is some lovely skiing. I'd only go if they ran Braveheart, you can spend a whole day doing laps off it!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@prog99, I remember that! With your Mrs on snowblades?? (If not, could be one of the others I have lead over in similar circumstances!).

@kitenski, best days for me were always when the chair wasn't running... the top bit is the best bit (which the chair doesn't reach) and it means there'll be no-one else there. The hike out is only about 20 minutes. Easily get 4 or 5 laps done in a day...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevomcd wrote:
@prog99, I remember that! With your Mrs on snowblades??

Guilty! Silly amounts of powder and 90cm blades.... Seemed like such a good idea at the start of the day... It wasn't!

I have proper skis these days! Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep, stevomcd, the Braveheart only serves about 10% of the Back Corries skiing area.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although I have spend a whole day lapping it in the sun on the last day of the season.
Nowadays I would probably be a bit more adventurous but a very cheap ticket and practically your own personal lift was too much to resist.

Ok, it was too much of a PITA to walk out with a snowboard.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevomcd, I was the only one on the chair one day, must have done 10+ laps traversing at the chair exit in different directions!!

From memory don't you need to traverse around then get at least 2 more lifts up to get back to the top of the Back Corries??

I do find it disappointing they don't run Braveheart more often, I'll goto Glencoe if Braveheart isn't scheduled to run...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy