Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FatMap App - any reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looks good. Need that iPhone upgrade fast!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
+1 for timeframe for Porte De Soleil map
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep PDS would be good. Liked flying round Les Arcs last night. Good usability, insightful piste summaries. Would deffo consider upgrade when in resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob wrote:
Map3 MMM it's great forfreeride and pistes, if you are touring then routes aren't marked so paper map
And compass would be needed.

Thanks for that jbob Looks quite good but definitely geared more to lift served off-piste. I will have to consider it. Currently always take paper map and compass plus I have "MemoryMap" on my computer and phone with all the French alps maps at 25k, so, for now, I'll probably stick with that.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, when does PDS arrive?

@fatmapski
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you pay £25 for the annual fee, is that per resort?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I emailed Fatmap regarding the PDS map, they replied quickly and said they're putting the finishing touches to it now. They hope to have it done by Christmas. The guy sent me a screenshot of the work in progress - looked good!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PeterGee, You get it all for the annual fee and I've just noticed the Summer options too Madeye-Smiley
Great app
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used Fatmap last winter in Chamonix. It's a high resolution 3D mapping app come guide book. It's very useful. There are three ways in which it's handy.
Planning, on the hill navigation, and sharing.

Planning, all the pistes and standard offpiste routes along with ancillary infrastructure, restaurants etc are marked, and also for the routes there's a short description. It's also possible to overlay the maps with very useful shading to show aspect, gradient, and if it's on a glacier. It's like a guide book and map but better. There's also fly through soft the routes plus profiles of the gradients.

On the hill, it will show you where you are with a high degree of accuracy.

Sharing, it records your route which can be saved and shared with others.

As an example, I used it last season to help navigate a route off the back of Le tour down into Trient. Finding the start isn't very hard but there are two other harder routes that start near by that I wanted to avoid. A is a description of the route from Fatmap, I did take a photo of the route a few days earlier which is photo B, C is the trace that Fatmap recorded, and D is the data.

One thing to think about is battery life. I only used it occasionally on the approach and had it running all the way down. I do have a supplementary battery pack on the phone and had 50%+ when I had finished.
I would recommend Fatmap for lift served off piste. It's use for touring is limited to areas covered by the maps and the routes are not marked.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Photo A

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 11-12-16 1:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Photo B
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Photo C the blue line is the trace.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Photo D
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Very important to note. Don't slavishly follow routes on the app, but observe local conditions. This photo shows the second pitch on the Grand Envers variation on the Valle Blanche. The line on Fatmap goes down the very centre of the glacier but on this day the safest route was on far skiers right where the bergschrund was bridged. It's not a fault with the mapping, glaciers are always changing and the route on the day has to reflect this.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Milk Corbum wrote:
I emailed Fatmap regarding the PDS map, they replied quickly and said they're putting the finishing touches to it now. They hope to have it done by Christmas. The guy sent me a screenshot of the work in progress - looked good!

PDS Fatmap is now up and running. Seems great. It has the well-know 'freeride' routes but doesn't spill any beans which is good!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy