Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich Airport to Lofer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Driving to Lofer from Munich airport on Friday this week and Google maps suggest 2 routes which seem to take about the same time:

One route is to follow the E60 down to Oberaudorf and then past Walchsee, Kossen and Waidring.

The other is to leave the autobahn at Siegsdorf and then through Inzell and Unken

I was wondering if anyone can say which would be the better / easier route? Hopefully should be clear of the airport by about 3ish, so I'm hoping the traffic won't be too bad?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks All
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mauddib, both are possibilities but as the Bavarian schools and the other catholic states also begin their holidays this weekend both of those routes may be absolutely chocker block from the A9/A99 junction. I use most of the route to get home from work on a daily basis and I do not work in own on Fridays for the very simple reason that it takes me far longer to drive home (as much as 3 times longer on occasions) then due to all the normal weekend traffic and weekly commuters going home. Add the holiday traffic to the mix this weekend and you could end up in one very long queues whichever of the 2 routes you use.

Put in the filters of avoiding highways and toll roads and look at the cross-country route instead. Although marginally longer both in kilometres and time, it will not change much s the transit traffic does not use these roads, they stick to the motorways and official diversions should he motorway close due to serious accidents for example. It will also take you through some really beautiful parts of Oberbayern. The roads are all cleared and perfectly safe to drive despite the amount of new snow we have received in the past 24 hours.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can attest to the absolutely chocker scenario. Once took me almost 8 hours to get from Munich to 30 mins the other side of Lofer and ,funnily enough, it was when my holiday coincided with the Bavarian school holidays
I will be going again on Saturday but thanks to an earler post and advice from the same @Samerberg Sue, I will be trialling the country route. At least there will be a town to stop in if the traffic is terrible rather than be stuck between service stations with no food or drink and 2 very irritated,bored children

Having read a few more of your posts I realise that you would have been in a similar state to me on Saturday morning thinking "did that really happen, or was it a nightmare" before realising that it DID really happen and it was worse than a nightmare Crying or Very sad

Maybe it's all part of a plan to lull England into a false sense of security before the WC. Ever the optimist

CYMRU AM BYTH

Rob
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had hoped that by traveling on Friday we might miss most of the holiday traffic...

Is the blue route the one you mention?

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have done the route to Lofer twice a year for the last 6 years and have all the scenarios.

On a good day we can make it in just over two hours but it has taken upto 8. We did the route you have mapped above last year on a Saturday beginning of March and just took over 2 hours and when we crossed over the autobahn close to Siegsdorf it did look totally Chocker.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's the baby
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mauddib, Yep, that is your best bet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers all, will give that a try
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used this route today from Munich to Maria Alm. 3hours 5 mins door to door with a quick coffee stop midway. I would call that a result for Fasching week. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dking2001, good to hear as the motorway was gridlocked from west and north of Munich rght through to the Inntal and into Austria at Kufstein by about 09:00 this morning. Even as I returned this evening there was still a huge volume of traffic moving at a steady 100kmh towards Salzburg. Luckily I was heading in the other direction and the road was empty - cue fun and games to see just how fast I could get my 1.6 TDi Blue Motion Caddy to shift! Made 180kmh along the shore of Chiemsee Shocked Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I would reverse that route next weekend as it will be as bad as it is the end of the Half Term weeks here in Germany as well as Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark (not they have an official one), Sweden and Norway. Saw lots of Swiss and French cars (mainly eastern France, Alsace-Lorraine) and heard a radio report that Austria and Bavaria are benefiting from a big influx of Swiss tourists due to the better exchange rate they get! They are murderous on the motorways though! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Sue I will certainly take that advice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robandliza wrote:
I can attest to the absolutely chocker scenario. Once took me almost 8 hours to get from Munich to 30 mins the other side of Lofer and ,funnily enough, it was when my holiday coincided with the Bavarian school holidays
I will be going again on Saturday but thanks to an earler post and advice from the same @Samerberg Sue, I will be trialling the country route. At least there will be a town to stop in if the traffic is terrible rather than be stuck between service stations with no food or drink and 2 very irritated,bored children

Having read a few more of your posts I realise that you would have been in a similar state to me on Saturday morning thinking "did that really happen, or was it a nightmare" before realising that it DID really happen and it was worse than a nightmare Crying or Very sad

Maybe it's all part of a plan to lull England into a false sense of security before the WC. Ever the optimist

CYMRU AM BYTH

Rob

Prescient or what ! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy