Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skis feel slow after DIY service

Poster: A snowHead
I might be imagining it, or maybe it was just the conditions, but I'm pretty sure my skis were slower after I waxed them myself. They skied OK, they weren't sticking but they were just not as fast as previous times (this is purely subjective based on me being overtake more often than I'm used to on flat schusses).

I thought I'd done a good job, I did a hot wax and strip to clean the bases out. Then I waxed, let them cool, scraped and polished with a pad. I didn't brush, as I don't have a brush but I thought the polishing with a pad would do the job.

In the interest of science (and 'cos I'm lazy) I've taken them in for a service at a reputable shop in W London so I'll see how they feel after that.

My question really is, have I done it wrong? Is brushing essential or did I do something else wrong?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would use a brass brush as otherwise you can get a sticking suction effect.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TTT, yeah, but after a couple of runs that should have sorted itself out. Wrong temperature wax?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mosha Marc, that makes sense as the friction from the snow should roughen them up. I would have thought a brush helps though. Alternatively ski on your edges wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My money is on the conditions being the main culprit for this. I suppose wrong temperature wax could be a factor but I would expect that to make such a small difference as to only be recognisable in very advanced situations.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Although my missus has complained about her edges (now increased angle to 3) she's never complained about the wax job. In fact she loves how slidey they are after servicing. I've never done a hot wax clean. But I do use a brush to polish.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do my own hot waxing without worrying about scraping and brushing, and the skis seem to go very well after the first run has polished up the bases. However using an all temperature wax like the Toko white wax in very cold conditions has resulted in sticky skis that have to be poled downhill sometimes. Use a lower temperature wax like the Toko red wax or a better all temperature wax like the Dominator Zoom Lime Universal Wax from the Piste Office and all is well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All of the stages in a good wax job are important. assuming that the wax went on ok, you need to ensure that you remove any excess wax with your scrapper(this often looks like you are removing masses of wax that you've just ironed on), then use the brushes to add structure.. I usually add a zardox layer at the end.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've experienced the same on occasion; I reckon it's just using the wrong wax for the snow type / temp. Got a heli lift up Monte Rosa once and the snow was so cold it refused to melt under the skis, had to push ourselves down the first few 100 ft. . sometimes worth getting them re-waxed at the mountain as they know what the local conditions are. Or that wipe on liquid wax is pretty good as a quick fix.

I've tried this "structuring" business with a brush, but I don't think it makes a difference for yr recreational skier. Any texture is soon gone. Racers remember, wax for a single race; we wax for a single season!

I did notice last week that the automatic ski processing machines put a texture actually into the ski base (and new skis also come with a bit of texture on them) so they're textured under the wax - they reckon that bit of roughness "helps the water flow under the ski" - maybe we're over polishing!

PS: who or what is "ZARDOX" isn't he the priest that crowned Solomon?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had the same expereince last year, but after damaging my skis I had to have them repaired and they ran much better ...so Having mine done in resort next week, as it depends on the conditions , Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zardoz, 1974 "sci-fi" film starring Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling taking its name from a torn book title "the wiZARD of OZ". Oh dear I fear that may have spoiled the ending for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Also a Teflon based "wax".
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Almost certainly wrong temp wax, it makes a big difference!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sorry Zardoz Smile

http://www.zardoznotwax.com/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
no-one has asked the OP what wax was used and at what temps ??
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dabber, True. But I'm very skeptical about the wax being an issue anyway, that might make a difference if I was talking about .01 of a second, but I'm talking about feeling 10 - 20% slow. But as I said, it's very subjective and I'm comparing my speed with others who may have just had faster skis, but I did just "feel" slower than normal.

The wax I use is datawax green universal - I think this covers most typical conditions in Europe. At the time air temps were in the range -5 to -10c, no idea what the snow surface was. Anyway, conditions were not at all unusual.
ski holidays
Deffo reckon it could be down to colder snow temperatures - we commented on our skis feeling like they were not running so quickly a couple of weeks ago, with temps consistently between -8 and -14 deg.

This was definitely a colder period than I've experienced for quite a while (requiring full thermals/face masks etc.) so the snow is more grippy/less slippy

I recall reading that the fastest speeds attained in KL runs are made in spring conditions where warmer snow = faster snow - just found this http://www.speedski-info.com/English/FAQ.php

What is the best snow to go really fast ?The best snow for speed skiing is not the coldest one. A skier goes faster on a lightly wet snow. This type of snow allows a thin layer of water to appear under the skis for a higher speed.
snow conditions
Think that Zardox stuff is pretty much what I meant "that wipe on liquid wax". Normally prescribed for wet snow, but I was using a combination of toko all conditions hot wax with the wipe on stuff over the top last week; it was -16oC and things ran OK for me .. tho my 24yr old son, on a pair of locally prepped piste carvers was beating me down most things!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy