Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holiday Autos/ Enterprise - Hidden Charges

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone else come across this?

We booked a VW Golf with Enterprise via HA and arrived at the Enterprise car hire desk at Munich Josef Strauss airport only to be told that there was a 6€ per day charge for taking the car out of Germany into Austria. I queried this and got some garbage about cross-border insurance and that was standard.......TBPH I was pretty tired, 21.00 Friday night with a 3 hour drive to Innsbruck in bad weather ahead and wanted to get going, and couldn't be bothered arguing further, big queue behind us, usual stuff. On reflection now I'm thinking why did I need to pay 48€ and maybe need to look further into this. It was nor for Vignette BTW, this was bought at the border as normal.

Any advice would be welcomed, nothing on HA information, however I'm sure that there's a disclaimer somewhere in the small print.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, I've had a few issues with a booking I've made through Holiday Auto's - it seems that they strip out all the normally included costs out of their prices to entice you in! I'm now liable for a 1200 euro deposit for my booking which is a Golf or similar and I have to pay extra to take it out of the country, have snow chains etc....this is from Bergamo airport btw.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly in Spain, to take car into France, requires a v similar charge.

The low cost car hire companies impose the charge. It will probably be hidden somewhere in the T&C

Spain : The two companies that don't impose are eurocar and Hertz..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AthersT, 1200€ jeez, I had to pay 250€ authorisation but they were happy no damage etc on collection, bit 1200€ is a bit scary!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, exactly, apparently this is standard practice in Italy. I don't see why there is a need for that much when they could still charge you more in case of damages caused.
I normally only have to pay £200/€250 deposit too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, This is the Ryanair effect - low lead in cost, every conceivable opportunity for add ons! It's not specifically Holiday Autos, it's the Rental company wanting to achieve higher listing with lower price.
Yes the exact same happened to Jude1 and I at Munich last March.
On the other topic of unreasonable Excess, again they make it so high as to (originally) make you take their Excess cover, and now they even take it when you have a seperate annual policy from an Excess Third Party provider.
All very frustrating! Hmm why am I so chilled about it? Well this year I've already driven to Alps on two trips with a further two planned. Do so love taking my own motor.... (And yes I know all about costs conditions etc but I love it!)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andyman, Agreed - out again on 20 Feb, taking my own car for 2 week trip, much easier than flying/ hire car etc, can take all the toys too! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, I would take it up with HA, they might refund you. What's the point of hiring you a car if you're not allowed to take it into a (safe) neighbouring country...Albania maybe, but Austria!?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andyman, a bit worrying, are you saying that they still insisted on you taking their inflated excess insurance when you already had it via a 3rd party provider...or they just wanted to pre-authorise your credit card in case of damage??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@luigi, the latter (nothing would have made me take both!)

A cynic (who me Shocked ) might well say by offering a choice of their policy or a massively inflated pre authorisation (if you use your own) they are trying hard for you to be forced into their policy. Pretty outrageous but then as said earlier, (since Ryanair) this is the world we live in
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's a new one on me, regularly rent via HA at Munich to drive to Mayrhofen, never been charged extra. Multiple other issues, but not that.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have been charged several times by Avis offices to take the car out of the country, most notably Munich charged me about 9€ a day to take it to Hungary. I think it was waived the previous year going from Vienna to Hungary, but it has only happened in the German speaking countries. I just figure it's their particular insurance policies there - IIRC Italy, France and Portugal were all ok with it as long as you didn't go too far east, then it was either verboten or possible with a small charge. That's all from direct bookings with companies.

It's not unusual for UK cars to be banned from going over the channel, or to require a hefty surcharge to do so.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy