Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bode Miller threatens to quit World Cup race circuit

Poster: A snowHead
Halfway through the 2005-6 racing season, and a mere six weeks before the 2006 Winter Olympics, Bode Miller has threatened to quit the circuit.

Miller refused to hand over his ski boots for measurement following a slalom at Kranjska Gora in Slovenia, last Thursday 22 December. Measurements are mandatory to check whether racers have their feet too high above the ski, which the International Ski Federation (FIS) believes increases the risk of knee injury.

Miller has been fined 999 Swiss Francs for breaking FIS rules

This report from The New York Times.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The measurements are often badly taken with no weight on the foot beds. In Anja's case recently she was outside the 45mm regulation until it was realised her liner wasn't correctly placed in the shell, adding some doubleside tap kept her liner in place and so alowed her to race. We argue consantly with FIS to take this measurement with the equivilant weight of the skier on the device, however they are FIS. Good for Bodie. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's the point of having rules anyway, I mean they serve no purpose, and it would be better for Bode if there were none, I mean, how about he gets allowed to ski past gates, etc, after all, it's only the rules. rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Bode Miller threatens to quit World Cup race circuit"

What, again? What happened to the rival tour he was goimg to set up?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The trouble is that as he's currently doing relatively badly, (I did say relatively, before I get jumped on) and being cynical, I can't help thinking he's trying to take his sponsors' minds off his rotten results. Great GS & SL Weds & Thurs - both men and women - but Bode was not just not on song - he was shocking!! OTOH, Blardone, Rocca, Raich & co were up to their usual standard. Raich does seem to be getting wound up about Rocca though. New Yank on the SL scene Ted Ligerty was pretty impressive if not pretty.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, interesting point, but my understanding is that ACL injuries - in particular - are caused with the footbed relatively unweighted (the skier is often in the back seat). In a typical ACL-inducing fall, the skier will (correct me if I'm wrong) have most weight on his heel, with his instep tipped up and not pressuring the insole.

If that's correct, then the FIS have no reason to take the measurement as you're proposing, which certainly adds a complication to their process.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, It's npt a proposal it's the rules. We have a plomb bomb that we drop into the boot when all is assembled. This takes the measurement from the center of the heel to the outside sole. 45mm The problem arrises when the skier takes their foot out of the boot. The liner lifts out a little as does the footbed. This then is measured. Our argument is, that with the skier in the boot, the footbed, liner and baseboard are compressed by the skiers weight. The current measurement is taken with only a weight of 25 gramms or so. We want the FIS edudicators to push the weight down to ensure the baseboard, liner and footbed are in contact with one another as if the skier were in the boot, then measure it. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow - I had no idea these kinds of issues and complications arose! Thanks for that info.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It'll be no less exciting for me without him so I hope the spoilt little brat quits. I'd imagine his cred among the racers as a performer is fairly high (but going downwards) but his cred as the possible leader of a breakaway tour must be non-existant in view of the fairly regular attention-seeking outbursts.

When you witness sublime performances by real professionals like Georgio Rocca who needs Miller?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
... he sounds like a perfect candidate to be a snowHead*, though!

Can Bode Miller type? If yes ... at what speed?

--------------------------
* Maybe a 'breakaway snowHead'.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Wow - I had no idea these kinds of issues and complications arose! Thanks for that info.

Thats nothing, last week we had a skier disqualified for binding height. It was 1/10th of a mm out. Our tecnician had quickly adjusted the bindings and measured the height. The racer then finished first. The FIS testers then took his equipment for testing. As it was so cold, they conducted the measurements indoors. Outside temp -15, indoor temp +23, his equipment failed we belive due to temperature expansion of the materials. This is just one twist of a screwdriver and our racer was robbed of his first W/C win. FIS are a law unto themselves, claming to be safety concious and precise. We are all faliable, however when we suggested temperature expansion they refused to remeasure. Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

If you are talking about tolerances that small, they could have at least remeasured...!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Then they would have to have reversed their decision, something the french are not so good at. Bodie has just cause, lack of consisancy allround. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But if it is an unjust decision that has robbed someone of their dream ................ Yeah, I know, we could go around in circles... what a way to police an international competition...!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whatever will be will be, the guy in question is ten times more motivated than before, he now knows what he is capable of and it maybe the motivation he needs. A win now, knowing him as i do, would have led to a lapse of concentration and with to Olyimpics coming up that may have payed play to that dream, we're phylisophical about it all, next week it will be someone else. Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

If he wins you can tell us his name..... if you aren't celebrating too much...!!
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, why not routinely set up .2mm inside the limit to allow for temperature at which the FIS may measure?
snow report
Depends on temperature difference. This was a quick adjustment made and we were within the limits. Nevermind, he's none too bothered now and looks in good form for the next race. Fingers crossed, screws tightend, baseboards ground. Twisted Evil
snow conditions

The FIS implements as described by SMALLZOOKEEPER, above.

And the instrument on the right is the actual one responsible for Defago's disqualification in the Val D'Isère World Cup Super Combined the other week...
snow report
So, how about I oversimplify things:
If the competitors made sure they were well under the height, then it would be no problem. Correct?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Were you talking about Defago by the way? If so I watched his equipment being tested in the exact same tent as above, open on one side, on that day. Temperatures would have been pretty much the same inside as out, it ws roughly -8°C at the time he came down on the Sunday early afternoon in the slalom. There was a bit of an altercation at the time, but the initial tests were done in the cold and the equipment failed to pass the tests under those conditions.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Were you talking about Defago by the way? If so I watched his equipment being tested in the exact same tent as above, open on one side, on that day. Temperatures would have been pretty much the same inside as out, it ws roughly -8°C at the time he came down on the Sunday early afternoon in the slalom. There was a bit of an altercation at the time, but the initial tests were done in the cold and the equipment failed to pass the tests under those conditions.

You need to take a closer look at your photos, see anything suspisiously warm? Twisted Evil
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
So, how about I oversimplify things:
If the competitors made sure they were well under the height, then it would be no problem. Correct?

Yeah, let's standardise everything. Formula 1, skiing, tar levels in cigarettes. Better leverage with height, however more torque on the knees and hips. FIS are just acting in the skiers best interests however with poor application. Twisted Evil
latest report
Well neither boot nor ski had much chance of expanding in those conditions. The racer hands them in, they're measured. And subsequent tests put the binding-plate-ski combination at 55.38mm at the highest point, according to FIS. Rossignol are said to have accepted responsibility (final check overlooked according to some reports). And the little bit of hot air from that blower would have gone nowhere near the instrument (on the right) measuring binding, plate & ski.
snow report
I'll bet my right hand there will be some difference -8 to beside a radiator, should there be no difference, why was the radiator there?
So, we messed up? Any thoughts on how we can ensure symetric testing? Twisted Evil
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, use STP, that's what chemists do.
ski holidays
STP? Twisted Evil
snow report
Standard Temperature and Pressure...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Hopkinson, I'm glad that has been cleared up...all I could think of was the additive you can put into car.....risk of thicky baton Shocked
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, 273.15K, 100kPa
snow conditions
Just a guess, but if they are going to test in such arbituary conditions should there not be some leeway built into the test results parameters...
ski holidays
snowbunny, You're not alone!
ski holidays
I think Bode will just have to take it on the chin...theres officialdom and infuriating red tape in all walks of life. Touch of the toys out of the pram here I think. Imagine the tour with no Bode - unthinkable really...
latest report
Jake wrote:
Imagine the tour with no Bode - unthinkable really...

It would get on fine without him.
snow report
Jake, we all thought the sport would badly miss Tomba, Klammer etc. Things move on. We may well have already seen the best he has to offer.
ski holidays
If we have another race at the EOSB I want everyones boots checked - no wonder I was last - and is it a coincidence dbiggins the 33/1 outsider won by a street ? wink
snow report
Quote:

no wonder I was last

Yeh. Yanks with cuban heeled ski boots Very Happy

Be afraid Paul , be very afraid. Slow, fat skiers are coming, ............and they want your crown Laughing
snow report
JohnHill, I don't agee at all. Bode is a great allrounder which really shows the depth of his talent. He's great for the tour as he sticks it to the Austrians and spreads the success around a bit more, he's fantastic to watch (you don't know whats gonna happen next), he seems pretty level headed for the no.1 in the world and adds a bit of personality and colour to the circuit. The tour did go a bit stale post Tomba for a while...

Incidentally I couldn't be doing with Bode at first but the way he's come into his own in the speed events is mighty impressive. It really does show a lot of bravery and skill.
snow conditions
Jake, unfortunately, his mouth has overtaken his skiing.
It did take a while to get over Tomba - I think it was maybe 2 races. Laughing
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, absolutely, we've had "breakaway tour", "let's do drugs" and now "I'm quitting"... so, please quit and form the Junkie Pro Tour and see how many of the real pros join in. Someone at the FIS needs to show some teeth, call his bluff or what next? He's good, I agree he's exciting to watch but so was Stenmark and he barely spoke a word.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy