Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bindings with correct DIN setting but don't release on self test

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I've checked the DIN settings to use - and I see my skis are correctly set at 6.5. Then I followed the self-test advice on this website: http://www.bobski.com/safety/french_binding_system_self_test.pdf and I find that I can neither release the toe or the heel. So, do I disregard the recommended DIN setting and reduce it a bit?

Average skier. Dont fall often enough to feel I get to test them much but generally I dont remember them failing to dislodge after an awkward fall. On the other hand, I did break my leg on my first ski trip due to bindings being set wrong - and I'm disinclined to do that again
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, CharlieDelta.

If you are anywhere near The Piste Office in Lambley, Nottinghamshire, the make an appointment with Jon Coster, who has an amazing machine which will check your bindings in conjunction with your boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So if you do reduce the DIN by 0.5 do they release? If not how low do you go till they release?

Just because a table says your DIN should be 7.5 doesn't mean it has to be. Loads of variables affect it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CharlieDelta, how old are your skis? Which bindings?

And if you have changed the length or height adjustment on the binding then there could be a few things wrong - setting up a binding is not just a question of getting the right DIN.

The forward pressure has to be right - depending on which binding, the indication varies (Old Salomon, metal pin in window; newer Salomon, metal tab between indents; Marker, detent screw flush with housing; etc etc) - if the binding is over length, it won't release properly - if it's underlength for the boot, it won't release properly. The height adjustment could be wrong (some Salomon bindings) and this can adversely affect release.

If you came back last season with the skis unenclosed on the roof, and they got covered in salt spray, they could be corroded and clogged up inside. Nasty. But surprisingly common.

6.5 really isn't that high a rating, so a self-test grabbing the boot should work.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the forward pressure set correctly?

If you don't know how to check it, then you need to take them to someone who does such as achilles reccomendation.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Skis are Fisher AMC on FS10 bindings. About 10 years old with about 10 weeks of kind use. Bindings were set when I bought them and haven't changed since but did get setting checked by Snow & rock when I bought new boats 2 years ago. They get serviced each year and kept clean.
I haven't experimented with reducing the DIN to see when they would release.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CharlieDelta, ....thanks for the details. Sounds a bit odd. if you are sure that they forward pressure is OK - these aren't height adjustable so that's out - then slacken off to min and then ease up to 6.5 and do this three or four times. If things have gummed up through grease drying out or salt setting up corrosion, then this can get things moving again. Then try a test again. But which test technique are you using? The 'Tognar' putting the ski on an edge and then pressing down? The 'getting a friend to stand on the tails and releasing forward' test? All of these put a lot of strain on your ligaments and tendons. I use the 'ski on the floor, feet on either end of the ski and grab the boot with both hands and PUUUsh. This has about zero feedback re accuracy of the release. It merely makes sure that things aren't gummed up with cack - important when we have done some Easter mud hopping in the woods.

But you know what? You need to take these to a workshop and get them properly tested on something like this HUBER set up:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26207
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, spyderjon who had that Huber machine runs The Piste Office referred to in the second post. IIRC he has replaced that machine with a more modern one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy