Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Incorrect binding mount

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Having worked in ski shops and mounted plenty of skis I'm a little annoyed to say the least.

I took my brand new Amplid Rockwells in to get mounted at my local ski shop. I specifically asked for them to be mounted 20mm back from centre, its even written on the job card, which i have a copy of.

When I got them home and had a proper look at the mount, as i always do, I've found that they are mounted 60mm back from centre.

Im right in being annoyed?

Question is what should i expect from the shop when i go back in for a moan, a remount will mean ugly plugs in my new skis, which isn't really what i want as some will definitely be visible. I know it doesn't effect the performance, etc etc, but having forked out over £400 on the skis alone id rather the weren't like coloured swiss cheese.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Partially a question of what you want out of it. A reasonable solution may be the remounting (free of charge obviously), making good drilled holes, and substantial compensation.

If you're looking for new skis you could very probably win the argument but it may take a while to make happen: my knowledge of retail law is a little out of date, but they may be able to request an independent assessment as whether a replacement is justified.

If you're on a tight time line, you may be better off going with the first option I'm afraid
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Every right to be highly annoyed. I just had a look at the Rockwell on the Amplid website, and assuming yours are the same, they have one of the clearest set of mounting marks I have seen, going from +60 to -60, in 20mm steps. Most skis only mark +/- 1 and 2 cm.

Assuming they had your boots for the mount, and both skis are mounted the same, it sounds like a case of measure once, drill once, rather than measure several times, drill once. 40mm is out is not exactly a mm here or there, because the template/jig slipped.

In terms of what you can expect. In a perfect world, new skis mounted correctly, but most likely a refund and a correct mount free of charge.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im not sure what i want out of it really, maybe once I've calmed down and am less p*ssed off about it i will be able to think straight.

New skis would be the thing i would really want, no plugs just a nice clean set of skis. Worst case my £40 back for the mount plus some heavy store credit at least to the value of the skis.

I just can't believe they could mess it up that much @PowderAdict, you're right the markings on them is so obvious its hard to believe someone could mess it up so much. 40mm is a huge mistake to make.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£40 for a mount Shocked

Must put my prices up!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon,
It's to cover the cost of the insurance wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get them to quiver killer at -60mm -40mm -20mm and 0mm. It would look pretty smart and mean you could play around with the mount point and adjust for different snow conditions

M
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually you might not fit that many mounts but you get the idea. It would be a cool feature.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For such a mistake I would expect at least a refund of the mounting cost and remounting as requested.
Quote:
£40 for a mount

£25 in our local shop - and they do it while you wait, even on a busy Saturday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, annoying thing is that it would cost me at least £20 round trip in diesel to go to the next closest shop (anything technical) which in hindsight would've been a good idea.

I thought about getting them to remount at -20mm and quiver killer both but I can't see when I would ever ski at -60mm

On the cost thing, apparently its a move in the UK market to make mounting more expensive to counter European shops low prices. i.e buy your skis online from Europe and expect to pay 40 quid for a mount. Buy them in the UK at your local shop and the mount is free but the skis cost 40 quid more. I'm not sure how I feel about it, my local doesn't stock a massive range so would struggle to buy from them.

I think a refund plus some compensation is fair, the annoying thing is that when I took these in to get mounted I also took some brand new movement shifts to get mounted with dynafit speed turns purchased from them and also got some G3 skins at the same time. Spent 380 ish quid all in all!

Sorry to rant, annoyed is an understatement
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Robsaan wrote:
....On the cost thing, apparently its a move in the UK market to make mounting more expensive to counter European shops low prices.....

That's news to me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Robsaan, so come on, which shop?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, I guess it kind of makes sense but kind of feels like holding people to ransom a bit. I really don't know how I feel about it. On one hand shops, just like your self have to battle the low prices of blue tomatoe etc but slapping on a massive excess for mounting skis seems like a bit of a joke. 40 quid for 20 minutes work!!

As far as the shop goes its one of the only ski shops in a big(ish) city in Cumbria. Sure you can work it out. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have had several pairs of ski and bindings from glisshop, and they did the mounting for free. Just fill out an online form. Perfect every time. Cost difference was about 50%
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon,

Not sure that Robsaan is talking about independents like you.

But S&R for example, IF they honour their 'price match guarantee', then try and slap a £50 fee on for sliding a binding onto a set of rails.

I wanted to give my business to a UK shop, but the difference in cost for my skis was £250 Shocked

snow conditions
If I'm honest i don't know i would trust someone like glissshop to mount my skis, i certainly wouldn't want them set up with out my boot present.

As for the increase in mount prices i understand it, but I'm slightly torn. On the one hand as @mozwold, says if you can save £250 buying from Europe then it makes sense. But on the other hand i do feel we should support local where we can, we'd all moan if all our local shops shut.

S&R used to be £25 for a mount on skis not purchased at the shop, so thats a bit of an increase.
snow conditions
Quick update on this one, went in to the shop, they were super apologetic to say the least. However claimed that they mounted them at -60mm as that is standard and hadn't seen the note on the job card saying -20mm

Have been offered a refund on the mount plus £200 store credit or a new set of skis.

A lesson though, even if you think you have made things super obvious, try and make it more so!!
ski holidays
I took my bindings off my skis and my boys skis and wanted them remounting. Took them to the shop in Belle Plagne late one night. Discussed where they needed to be. Picked them up the next morning and they had put them back where they were and said you cannot remount bindings ! Duly took them somewhere else said they couldn't do them til the next day so I would have to hire skis and that each mount would cost 50 Euros reason being blah blah blah ... Took them to next shop who said where do you want them mounted ... Drilled them, mounted them and plugged them in 30 mins 10 Euros ....
snow conditions
Robsaan wrote:
If I'm honest i don't know i would trust someone like glissshop to mount my skis, i certainly wouldn't want them set up with out my boot present.

Can't be any worse than your local ski shop managed though??!

Quote:
Have been offered a refund on the mount plus £200 store credit or a new set of skis.

Sounds like superb customer service and don't think they could have done any more to help.

Quote:
A lesson though, even if you think you have made things super obvious, try and make it more so!!

Mistakes happen, we're only human. It's all about how those mistakes are dealt with or corrected though, and I don't think your local ski shop could have done any more especially as, by the sounds of it, you bought neither skis nor bindings there?
snow report
Agree with @Dashed - mistakes happen, but the way they have dealt with it sounds superb to me. That experience would make me want to visit the shop to be honest.
ski holidays
Agreed, they dealt with it superbly, however regardless of if i purchased the skis or binding there (i did buy another set of bindings and skins at the same time) i still paid handsomely to have them mounted. £40 for a mount is equivalent to £80 an hour labour.

The point about Glissshop goes for any shop that offers to mount skis with out boots present, there is no way that they can be set up correctly, i would be happy to adjust them myself but many people wouldn't I'm sure.

All in all I'm happy with the outcome, sounds like they have learnt a lesson from it, I'm sure it won't happen again, i won't hesitate to shop their in the future. Im all for supporting local.
snow report
Robsaan wrote:
Agreed, they dealt with it superbly, however regardless of if i purchased the skis or binding there (i did buy another set of bindings and skins at the same time) i still paid handsomely to have them mounted. £40 for a mount is equivalent to £80 an hour labour.

The point about Glissshop goes for any shop that offers to mount skis with out boots present, there is no way that they can be set up correctly, i would be happy to adjust them myself but many people wouldn't I'm sure.

All in all I'm happy with the outcome, sounds like they have learnt a lesson from it, I'm sure it won't happen again, i won't hesitate to shop their in the future. Im all for supporting local.

The bindings on my skis were mounted by Glisshop and are fine. What are you thinking could go wrong?
ski holidays
Robsaan wrote:
The point about Glissshop goes for any shop that offers to mount skis with out boots present, there is no way that they can be set up correctly

Very few bindings need anything more that the boot sole length to be set up correctly these days. As long as the customer has supplied this correctly then I don't see what you perceive as a problem. The shop can always test the mounting by using a different boot of the same length.
latest report
I had my last bindings mounted by EB. They were the latest EPF Tours. They drilled my skis with last seasons jig, they phoned up and fessed up then ordered in another set of my skis (they don't even stock these). They resolved the issue then offered me a free edge and wax after my ski trip. I thought that was good service and I was impressed with their honesty.
latest report
[quote="Robsaan). £40 for a mount is equivalent to £80 an hour labourl.[/quote]

Its one of those jobs you either want done or not. The £80 an hour argument is a non starter...
snow conditions
@limegreen1, yes but i want it done properly for £40.
ski holidays
Robsaan wrote:
@limegreen1, yes but i want it done properly for £40.

But you'd be happy with a half arsed job for £20?? wink
snow report
@Dashed, haha, i got a half arsed job!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy