Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so I'm a hypocrite. I have said before that I won't buy a ski until I've skied it, but I'm about to break that rule.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mantra and it seems to suit my needs to a T - all rounder, 100mm underfoot, full rocker, solid construction etc.

Thing is I hate twin tips - is the Mantra really a twin tip, as it looks like? Does it ski like one (i.e. massive plumes behind you), and is it a PITA on old gondolas?

I guess I'll still buy it and put up with the down sides, but I'm just curious as it doesn't seem to be marketed as a twin.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very good ski. Powerful and fast, carves nice big turns. I went for the Prophet 98 after trying both as the Line were a bit more playful and less demanding.

As for the plumes... I don't look behind me when I ski Shock)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly wrote:
Very good ski. Powerful and fast, carves nice big turns. I went for the Prophet 98 after trying both as the Line were a bit more playful and less demanding.

As for the plumes... I don't look behind me when I ski Shock)

True enough, the spray from the back wouldn't be my problem I guess Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, found an answer to my own question, it looks like the rear tip raise is pretty minimal so I think I can live with it. Happy

Now, any thoughts on length? I'd normally go for 180, but the choice is 177 or 184 - go longer 'cos of the rocker?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a set of 2012 Mantras mounted tele. Best (tele) ski I've used ever Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sah, I have a set of at least five year old Mantras, so maybe this doesn't apply any more, but for standard European off piste heavy powder, chopped up crud, slush, generally difficult broken shite they are absolutely the kipper's knickers. Highly highly recommended. Mine are 191s, but nowadays I would probably go for 181s, me being 6ft and about 87Kg ( on a good day ).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sah, If it helps I am 5'6" and 9 1/2 stone. Mine are 169/170 and work just fine
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all, it sounds like I'm going to go for the 184s I think (I'm 182cm/6', 80kg/12.5st)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Read the yellow gentian review. He hated them. Great for big turns off piste refuse to turn on hard pack, just an alternative opinion. They look great and probably are if you really want a full rocker off piste charger.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting views here. I'm really stuck between getting these and the rossi soul 7's.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timg60 wrote:
Interesting views here. I'm really stuck between getting these and the rossi soul 7's.

I've got some fairly old Mantras, so as per Steilhang, my opinion may be out of date...
Anyhow I swapped skis for a couple of runs a few weeks back (from my Redeemers, not Mantras), for some soul 7s. They are completely different skis than my Mantras.
Soul 7 is well and truly rockered and pivots easily and is an easy ski all round - Mantra is much less rockered (my versions barely at all) and requires more effort to ski but is more rewarding accordingly and I'd rather be on my Mantras (which I only ski now as rock skis) than Soul 7s in most snow conditions because it feels like you can blast through anything (and this considering my normal go-to ski is a Redeemer Carbonlite).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh what to do. I've been sticking to pistes as was vastly overweight and unfit but have finally pulled my finger out and was in avoriaz a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed skiing off piste again. Currently on K2 amp chargers and find them great on piste but bloody hard work off.
Think I'm going to have to try some out and see what I like..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The 2015 mantra is full rocker. Quite different from last years. Looks bigger and heavier around than the soul. Defo an off piste not a full mountain Beastie.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's also apparently a lot softer and not the quality charger the old ones were.

We have been recommended the Blizzard Bonafides as a replacement ...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied both the new mantra and the bonafide back to back, would choose the bonafide, felt much more of a do it all ski
snow report
Interesting. I think perhaps I will demo before I buy in that case!
ski holidays
Seen too many delams in recent (Chineese) production Mantra's to be impressed. Blizzard Bonefide (as well as Brahma, Cochise & Bodacious) are better made & cost less.

And Mantra's are flat tail, not twin tips.
ski holidays
I persuaded my other half to try the Blizzard Bonafides last season. And after two runs ...he smiled and bought some. He did then bring them home and told me to wax them rolling eyes

Very Very old bubbles can be tricky if you hurry but we've never had to leave them behind Toofy Grin As for spray at the back yes they kick up a bit more than standard piste skis but not as much as our daughters twin tips. I just avoid them both so its not a problem.

His piste skis ( Volkl rtm 9?) have been used for half a day in the past 5 trips as he loves the Bonafides
latest report
So, to sum up, the Mantra isn't what it used to be, the Bonafide is a better bet in that category. Cheers!
snow report
I have an older pair of mantras, silver tops and red graphics. I love Volkls so much having used a number of different models and had read all the reviews and they sounded excellent.

And they are awesome when blasting really fast big turns in lumpy crud etc. apart from that I never ever warmed to them. I much preferred the then AC series skis ( I think these might now be the RTM series - but haven't really kept up with things). Just a personal view and an expensive mistake!
snow conditions
I've been riding the Gotama 2012/2013 186cm model for last couple of seasons, features the full ELP rocker profile. I think reasonably similar to the mantra but a bit more off piste orientated. I love them to bits, perform very well on piste but awesome off the groomers. I do a lot of tree skiing, these are quick to turn but also fun to open up the turns and smear very well (sliding out in powder) which adds a whole new tool in the bag. Plenty of mates on Mantras and no complaints. As for rear tips, a slight pita on gondolas but you get used to that. This gotama review is spot on http://starthaus.com/wordpress/2012/11/01/2013-volkl-gotama-review-big-mountain-ski-favorite/

I've the fritschi freeride pro bindings, feel rock solid, initially had the older freeride+, but felt a little jiggly at speed, the pros have a wider footprint which seems to work well. http://www.diamir.com/en/product/diamir-freeride-pro/
ski holidays
To add to the confusion: try the Nordica Nrgy 100, if you can. More allround than both Mantra and Bonafide, in my view.
ski holidays
@sah, echoing what's been said above, I reckon Mantras have had their day, I had 3 pairs and noticed a quality drop over time, including a buckled tip on a rockered pair caused by bouncing it when it came off, skis aren't apparently designed to hit the snow at odd angles you know wink

Also very heavy. I only saw one pair in resort this last week, not that you could see much in all that white stuff......in fairness new red graphics look great. I'd look closely at Blizzards, Kastle and also Whitedot Rangers, you ski same stuff as me and my WD Ranger carbonlites bash everything and are super solid off in the pow and on icy pistes and love being driven.....also handled well in crud last season, in powder they are the mutts-nuts. Go 186 if you go for them, really awesome skis, super light too......buy a decent lock too, loads of admiring glances and even passing positive comments this last week, fitted with Beast 16's they are a great tool.
ski holidays
Cheers @Markymark29, I did look at Whitedot Rangers, but at 108 I can't really justify them as I already have a pair of K2s that size. I was looking for something sub-100mm for more mixed skiing. Although I think we do ski the same stuff when given the choice I've realised that sometimes I have to spend more time on marked runs, depending on company rolling eyes So, I was going to save my K2s for proper off piste days and get something that would be fun (and if at all possible fast as hell) on-piste, yet still able to handle soft stuff when I get the chance to sneak a run in. I have a pair of Scott Crusaders that are nearly dead (ex-rentals bought for rock skis), they are 92mm and I really loved skiing cut up snow in them (e.g. the kind of snow you find on any ski route in St Anton 5 minutes after it opens), and in the odd patch of untracked they were more than adequate, so I figured something like that but slightly wider. I kind of want a GS ski but with a bit of float.

I have done a week on hard pack with my 108mm and I have to confess that although they skied well my knees suffered - there's so much leverage when trying to carve that the knees do take a pounding on fat skis when the snow is hard.

As for Kästle... I'd love to but would need to rob a bank first wink

I've not turned to the dynafit-side... yet. I'm sure that will come. My touring skis have Fritschi Freerides, which are OK but I do see that attraction of something like a Beast or Vipec(sp?), if only to reduce the stack height. What sort of boots are you using with them, and how are they for hard charging days?
ski holidays
I ski now in Dynafit Mercurys, absolutely brilliant boots, well recommended by Jon Coster. These and the Beasts are a rock solid combination. Also I have to say the Rangers are great and charge me about, top to bottom on Rendl home run and down to Rauz no stopping this last week, I seriously don't find the width under foot an issue, maybe I've just not skied on a sub 100mm ski for a while now I don't miss them! They also carve......
ski holidays
@sah,

Two of my mates ski on mantras - although from about 3 years ago when they were only 90mm and stiffer, conventional camber. New ones have a bit of rocker 100mm and a bit softer I think? We were fondling a pair in a ski shop at the weekend.
Embarassed

On the tails, they are barely semi twins and have no bother getting in to gondolas. Unlike my line prophets which are a PITA (need to be split into snowboard slot due to big twin).

The older ones are brilliant for GSing around the piste, chopping through crud and both of them enjoy them in the powder too but then they have not skied a modern pure powder ski. My guess is that the new ones give up a bit of piste performance in order to be more forgiving in powder. Someone else said on another thread that the new Blizzard Bonafide is more like the old Mantra - might be worth a look as the old mantra sounds a perfect complement to what you already have?

BTW - both mates are pretty strong skiers, quite good technicians and comfortable on and off-piste all over the mountain.
snow conditions
@jedster, good info thanks, it does sound like the Bonafide is a good bet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy