Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking Online...

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of booking my next holiday online but I'm still sceptical on the security of these websites, can anyone please put my mind at rest and assure me everything will be fine!

I've never bought anything over £100 online before! Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichardB, I have booked several holidays skiing and otherwise and not had a problem. I also run an online shop as part of my business with purchases well in excess of £1000, have not had any problems with security or no customer has experienced any problems as far as we are aware.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Russell, have you used Inghams for any of your online bookings?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RichardB, Yes last year
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've booked online for a number of years and had no problem.

My brotherinlaw has a credit card which he uses specifically for on-line transactions. That way he can put the credit limit down to nothing between transactions and thus protect himself from any fraud. Perhaps a bit ott, but if it puts your mind it must be worth the effort, because online purchases are great for all manner of things, not just the hols.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RichardB, we've used Inghams online 5 or 6 times and had no problems at all. Their website navigation is a bit cr@p. It's not like a holiday can really get lost in the post.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichardB, I've put together independent hols and bought last minute packages over the net for years and never had a single problem. Go for it!!! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I've never bought anything over £100 online before!

You probably have...

RichardB, What a lot of people don't realise is that call centres often input transactions via their website anyway... so calling the company to bypass their website doesn't work! Regards security, an online transaction is waaay safer than handing another human your card or telling them a number over the phone. With credit cards you have great protection anyway. I do just about everything online now and have never once had a problem.

pendodave, That is OTT. Tell him to relax.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RichardB, We have used Inghams online a few times and never had any problems,hope that puts your mind at rest
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RichardB, I don't know how much discount Inghams give for booking on line but in my experience you can usually beeter that price. Magic Breaks http://www.magicbreaks.co.uk/ are offering 7% discount on Inghams.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all very much for your assurances, Inghams offers a further £40 off, on top of the £50 discount for booking early, if you book online. I've considered booking after I get back from Banff but I feel it may be best to do it now and make sure I get what I want.

D G Orf will be pleased to know that I will be going to Wengen!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RichardB, make sure you pop over to the better resort for the day.. Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RichardB, I go to the loo on-line now - no problems at all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now bought 2 holidays online.

Direstski.com and Airtours.

No problems with either, very efficient
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JohnHill, as someone with extensive security knowledge I can say that pendodave's brother-in-law is being very sensible. It may be ott for you - I don't know your personal risk assesment criteria - but some e-commerce web sites do have poor security. It's unlikely in the extreme that any one individual will get bitten by card fraud - there are a lot of factors that mitigate the risks - but even if pendodave's relation is affected, he's less likely to be financially inconvenienced. I myself have one card that I use online and I keep the credit limit at about £700 rather than taking say a £20k limit that other cards have. I don't bother upping and downing the limit as I have a certain level of trust in the sites I do business with.

RichardB, IMHO, in general you can't be *too* careful. Hi-tec crime is on the increase and identity fraud is a major threat to our peace-of-mind (and finances) in the future. Get a good firewall and anti-virus sofware, buy and use a shredder, be careful with passwords etc etc. But don't let it put you off. If you are sensible then the risk is minimal. You're far more likely to suffer credit-card fraud by having your card stolen. And there's next to no chance (and I mean *NO* chance) that someone will be able to get your details whilst they're flying over the internet.
ski holidays
Booked on line a few times Inghams without problems
Be careful if using the scroll wheel on your mouse though its easy to change dates without noticing
snow report
Sensible precautions should apply IMO
snow conditions
lbt, You sum up why I think it is OTT
Quote:

It's unlikely in the extreme that any one individual will get bitten by card fraud
and
Quote:

You're far more likely to suffer credit-card fraud by having your card stolen. And there's next to no chance (and I mean *NO* chance) that someone will be able to get your details whilst they're flying over the internet.

Anyway, suggest anyone concerned about identity fraud should sign up for Equifax Credit Watch (www.equifax.co.uk) - the site's self explanatory. Well worth £6 a month.
snow conditions
JohnHill, Yes it's unlikely that it'll be 'you' - and yes your details won't be taken whilst they're in transit.

But OTOH, if your cc limit is low and you are sensible about how and where you shop you reduce the risk *even further*.
The precautions are simple and (here we differ) IMHO, worth taking.

Whereas I don't spend £72 a year on a service from one of the credit-reference agencies. A service that tells you about unauthorised use of your cards is (again IMHO) bolting the stable door...
I suppose a lot depends on how much money you have to spare.

I suggest that if anyone's interested in easily digestable hi-tech security then have a read here:
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0512.html

It'll broaden your mind.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy