Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a resort for family next year

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just spent the last few half terms with my family in Les Gets/ Les Contamines/ Megeve/ Serre Chevalier / Villars.

Looking for a nice resort (similar to Les Gets) that has an easy transfer, and decent self catered accomodation.

Kids are 8/11/13 and still need a ski school.

Skiing should be varied to suite intermidiate and advanced.

Recommendations please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HI,
We are going to Sauze d'oulx this half term- kids the same age as yours. I chose it because of big ski area, they dont raise apartment prices for british half term, its 1 hour from the airport and eating and drinking is relatively cheap. I'll feed back about the apartment and sauze in general when we get back if you like.

In the meantime would you mind letting me know which of the resorts you mention you preferred with your kids? Am on the hunt for next year already and considering them all especially serre chevalier (put off by the transfer for serre)

thank you
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

Would love the feedback on Sauze d'oulx.

We did Serre 2x via Clud Med (outside of half term) , so did not get the true feel for resort. Skiing was good though.

By far preferred Les Gets out of all of them ( went there last 2 years ) . easy transfer - good english speaking ski school, and lovely resort and attractive ski terrain. Relatively easy terrain, so not great for advanced , but amazing for beginners/intermediate . Was unable to get up to Avoriaz, as had to return to ski school in Les Gets to pick up kids. Only danger is Les Gets is low, but if going Feb half term you will be fine,. We went New Year, and were lucky, as at Christmas the resort was closed. Just need a change of scenery next year.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd suggest Samoens or Les Carroz in the Grand Massif or Montgenevre. These resorts are all ideal for families with a good range of skiing and luxury self catering options in the CGH MGM apartments (eg. La Reine des Pres, Chalets de Jouvence, Le Napoleon). Le Hameau des Airelles (MMV) in Montgenevre is also a good self catering option and quite a bit cheaper than CGH.

We have been to several of these with Peak Retreats self drive or train - they book transfers/car hires if required but not flights. If you want a package with a flight I expect the likes of Crystal go to some of them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Spyglass, Vallandry - loads of SC places, smaller family centric resort, wide variety of skiing across Les Arcs loads of great little places to play in trees above Vallandry, New Generation ski school for kids
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Spyglass, frankly, much as I like France, at half term I'd go somewhere with fewer lift queues and less busy pistes. Preferably somewhere not on British tour operator 's lists and where there are no local school holidays. Maybe Italy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
been looking in Selva - would you recommedn Sella Ronda for a family?
Concerned that is my 8 year old is in ski school mornings we will not be able to navigate too far??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't been there but was looking at Sainte Foy, I hear it's meant to be good for families.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think France is far better for higher end self catering with pools. Most of the decent accommodation in Austria and Italy tends to be hotels. My kids also wanted to get their full set of ESF awards. We speak French to a reasonable level and I like to converse with the locals. If none of this matters to you then Italy is probably cheaper all round.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know it is a base for Tignes and val disere , but looks a bit too small for me and my kids. Other than our 8 year old , the others are comfortable intermediates
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Spyglass, Done Selva last 2 years at half term and it's brilliant for families - especially the quality of the ski schools and variety of terrain - but if you need to collect your youngest every day at midday-ish it will limit you somewhat. It's perfectly possible to do the whole Sella Ronda either way in under 3 hours but simply ploughing round would detract from the enjoyment somewhat. One of the main attractions of the whole area is the variety of scenery and terrain you can access by heading off in different directions for the whole day - if you've got to get back to Selva (or whichever base you choose) for lunchtime everyday you won't get a great feel for the area, or, most importantly, the range of eateries! It's a still a wonderful and very family-friendly place though - best of all is it not being too busy and very little queueing at 1/2 term!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks that is very helpful.
How good a skier do u need to be to get around the Sella Ronda
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Corvara is the best place for kids on the Ronda IMHO.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My kids are 13 / 11 / and 8 . It is just the 8 year old I am concerned about. The others ski reds
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My kids are 13 / 11 / and 8 . It is just the 8 year old I am concerned about. The others ski reds
snow report
My kids are now passed the half term stage and off to Uni but we used to take them to Austria most Feb half terms, generally less crowded than France at halft term week though if it coincides with Fasching it can be busy. We also found that self catering accommodation was either cheaper or of better quality or sometimes both than France in Feb.
(Nothing against France we skied there a lot at Easter).
Of the places that we went to the most convenient for the airport is Obertauern if you can fly to Salzburg. Although the area is not large there is loads of variety and the kids absolutely loved it and the snow was and apparently usually is excellent.
Ski schools were first class.
snow conditions
Quote:

How good a skier do u need to be to get around the Sella Ronda

Not very, nothing too daunting about any of it. A confident early intermediate would be fine. They seem to piste everything every night in Italy so in the mornings it's all corduroy.
snow conditions
If you do it anticlocksiwise then the runs down into to Arabba are tricky in low light. If you do it anticlockwise then runs at the top end of Corvara, and the two reds that drop into Arabba are also tricky late on. Just do it am, not pm.
snow report
I'm think Sainte Foyes is great for families but would avoid it at Half-term as it's soo chocka with English families & their kids. Are you completely set on self-catering? Cos I reckon if you DIY you can stay in a Hotel in Italy for a week on half board + flights etc & do it for considerably less than any half-term ski op to France. For intermediate & advanced skiers can't recommend Gressoney in Ski Monte Rosa too highly!
ski holidays
Santa caterina
ski holidays
Thanks
Have found an amazing hotel in Corvara, and thinking of going there?
Dolomites look amazing, and seems like very different holiday to pds
snow conditions
@cameronphillips2000 is right. there's no really "easy" way through Arabba, especially late in the day. One very steep but also very wide "red" run which is steeper than several of the blacks we skied. And sometimes some mogully bits which are not enjoyable late in the day.
snow report
pam w wrote:
@cameronphillips2000 is right. there's no really "easy" way through Arabba, especially late in the day. One very steep but also very wide "red" run which is steeper than several of the blacks we skied. And sometimes some mogully bits which are not enjoyable late in the day.

Glad you agree Pam. I didn't want to sound like a wuss by saying the skiing in Arabba is difficult but, in fairness, it is. I remember skiing back late in the from both sides of the Sella Ronda and didn't really enjoy it both times in low light.

Corvara is great for kids and if you do the bit away from the SR circuittowards SC and LV then it gets quieter. The lifts up the SR in the anticlockwise driection provide very long, easy descents too. San Christina also has lovely nursery area and quite too. Civetta has it all for beginners but is just a little small for your adventurous intermediate.
snow report
@nem, if yoy fly into Turin, Serre Che is a relatively easy transfer, longer that Sestriere of course.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advise. Just when looking at the Corvara piste map can't find any blue runs?
Also any particular ski school to recommend?
Will there be any English kids in the ski schools at half term?
latest report
Quote:

Just when looking at the Corvara piste map can't find any blue runs?

Puzzled bit puzzled by this - there are plenty. To Piz Sorega, to Colfosco (and plenty of others) and lots of the reds aren't difficult. http://www.skimap.info/europe/italy/alta_badia/ski_map_alta_badia.jpg
ski holidays
Not sure why the map I was looking at had no blues???
But thanks , now feel very reassured.
latest report
There's very little that isn't blue in Covara. There's one short black dropping off from the descent at the top of the bubble at the top end of Colfosco but the rest is rather tame. In fact a few Snowheads made a mistake of trying to ski off piste in corvara during a snow day and it was just not steep enough really to get going.

One tour op goes to Corvara so you may get some British kids in the ski school but it's mainly Italians and Germans.

The hidden valley run is really quite easy and the kids would love the horse drawn lift at the end. There is a lot of polling involved though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy