Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich Car Hire to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this is stated already somewhere else - I did try searching.

I'm hiring a car in Zurich airport at the end of March. Will it have snow tyres ?

I'm going to be going to Austria where I gather that they are mandatory so I need to know whether to request them or whether they'll be already on the car. The car hire company website has an option to request but I don't know whther that's just a ruse to charge more money or not.

Thanks in advance for your help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just to clarify, its NOT mandatory in Austria. If you know the road wont have snow, ice or mud on, then you don't need winter tyres. Personally I wouldn't risk it, but that's the law as it currently stands.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is so many of these threads on here.

Advise the company that you are taking car to austria. Make sure you buy the toll badge. It is the hire companies responsibility to make sure the car is fit for purpose. There fore if it is snowing or icy point out that it is their duty of care to have the car properly fitted for the conditions. This is european law. I have noticed if I hire a car in Germany from Ireland of England they give snow tires as an extra. If I use my Germany domain they are fitted as standard.

Just as way of confirming it say your are not happy with the car and that you will take a better one with out the snow tires see will they give you a refund.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Just to clarify, its NOT mandatory in Austria

But it is in Switzerland (AFAIK) and hence your hire car will have snow tyres already fitted.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You need to check out the small print as the car will almost certainly have snow tyres until end of March, but some companies charge an extra fee for 'winterisation'.

The brokers Auto Europe are always explicit about which of their offerings include this or not and how much extra it might be.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
winter tyres fitted as standard with Sixt in Switzerland, Germany, Austria.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jafa, Yes, I agree that techncially it's not mandatory in Austria but to all intents and purposes given how the law is applied it may as well be

halfhand wrote:
Quote:

Just to clarify, its NOT mandatory in Austria

But it is in Switzerland (AFAIK) and hence your hire car will have snow tyres already fitted.

Not according to the AA or websites and the last time I hired a car in Switzerland at the end of the season it didn't (IIRC 2 or 3 years ago)

Anyway just to be safe, I've requested a set of snow tyres.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dsoutar, Happy to stand corrected but last time I hired a car at GVA (2012) for our trip to Verbier it was fitted with winter tyres without us having to pre-specify. We did get stung for snow chain hire though rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dsoutar, One other thing is remember to get your Austrian motorway permit (if driving on motorways in Austria of course wink ).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy