Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Snow every day so far, about ft per night. Lovely as it is also cold but very busy on the main lifts.
Should be coming sunny for the rest of the trip and staying cold on the mountain but hot in the village.

Ski out not worth it below mid station.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Ski out not worth it below mid station"

How not worth it? Not skiable or just an unpleasant slushfest?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there geetee, are you out there this year?

We arrive tomorrow night.

Quote:

Ski out not worth it below mid station.

As far as I can see from the webcams, there's snow below the midstation: that's considerably more "worth it" than last year!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Acacia! We fly out next Thursday (BA) and will be 'camping' for the two following weeks. How long will you be there?

acacia wrote:
As far as I can see from the webcams, there's snow below the midstation: that's considerably more "worth it" than last year!

If you can see snow on the webcam then it's skiable Toofy Grin I just hope the temps behave themselves for the next month.

Safe travels!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Temps will warm up a tad going into the weekend. Friday will be brilliant sunshine, and spring like. Could see some flurries and cooler temps going into Easter Sunday. Should be decent conditions all the way around.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geetee wrote:
"Ski out not worth it below mid station"

How not worth it? Not skiable or just an unpleasant slushfest?

Slush fest at end of day, and icy early on. Yes at least there is some of that white stuff this year. I do not see the point of skiing rubbish so down bother. Plenty of people are though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blue bird all day today and due to be for next couple of days too. Then we are off back so others, coming out can keep a full update.
Still cold enough up high so the snow was super, though all the powder we had for the 3 days in a row has been tracked out.
They have just exceeded the average total season snow fall so not a bad season on the mountain. However we have never seen the golf club green (not here last year) in many visits that were more often in April than March. So valley has been warm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Toadman wrote:
Could see some flurries and cooler temps going into Easter Sunday

I would be quite happy with that. Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geetee wrote:
Toadman wrote:
Could see some flurries and cooler temps going into Easter Sunday

I would be quite happy with that. Cool

Fingers crossed for you, it does say freezing level is top of the mountain for Sunday but should be coming back down the hill later again. Freezing her in the village this morning. Bluebird forecast again, just hope my legs are going to stand up to it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jake43 Thanks! Enjoy your last couple of days, you can rest on the plane! Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant day out there today. Bluebird, not a cloud in the sky. Never see that before in whistler.

Still cold up the mountain and skied well all the way down to mid station, I don,t do slush so down loaded last bit.

Legs throbbing nicely so definitely left it all out there on the mountain. Have fun all those coming next week. It will be busy as it is BC school hols and queues this week have been long. Don't forget Garbanzo lift though as that is quietest sneaky one with access to good terrain.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jake43,

Absolutely - a great first day: even the much maligned ski-out to Blackcomb base was in pretty good nick (the slush only becoming granulated sugar conditions for the last couple of pitches: I have no problems with that...in fact I rather enjoy that aspect of spring skiing).

The Garbanzo lift is one of my favourites for bad weather days: in the year pre-Olympics I found myself standing next to Michael Walchofer in the lift line (the Austrian team was training there).

@geetee, We're here for two weeks, and I'll be camping this coming Monday, but not the subsequent one, so I guess we won't be suffering together this year! (I'm curious to know whether Pat intends to repeat his cliff-hucking exploits on Fraggle Rock, though).

PM me when you get here and maybe we can hook up for a few runs.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@geetee,
I was allowed to join the girls (and/inc Steve) ski day ski day today so I kindly checked the snow out for you snowHead
Still quite cold this morning so the snow was still in good shape and lovely and grippy. Everywhere is well filled in - even contemplated the glacier couloir briefly! (only contemplated! wink )
Was getting quite toasty later in the day, and supposed to be really toasty tomorrow
Will go and check the snow is still there tomorrow.
Surprisingly unbusy except harmony, though this might hav ebeen because Symphony had just shut down
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow still here and fairly decent - west cirque super nice snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Must now stop following this thread Sad
Must now stop ........ grrrr

Better get the next one booked - or maybe 2, as sister has suggested going with them for new year. Trying to persuade her not too as last time it was very busy. Week after would be sooo much quieter.
latest report
@stuarth, you're too kind, selflessly giving up your time to check the snow for me NehNeh

I've just looked at the forecast and the temps are going up towards the end of the week. I hope it's not all going to turn sticky just as we get there. rolling eyes

stuarth wrote:
Snow still here and fairly decent - west cirque super nice

Be sure to tell our Belgian friend - I know how much he likes West Cirque wink

Are you in Whistler next weekend?
latest report
geetee wrote:
@stuarth, you're too kind, selflessly giving up your time to check the snow for me NehNeh

I've just looked at the forecast and the temps are going up towards the end of the week. I hope it's not all going to turn sticky just as we get there. rolling eyes

stuarth wrote:
Snow still here and fairly decent - west cirque super nice

Be sure to tell our Belgian friend - I know how much he likes West Cirque wink

Are you in Whistler next weekend?

No problem, anytime wink
In fact will be checking it again Thursday (maybe), Friday and Saturday (definitely) when we're up for LittleH_mk1's training.

Weather doesn't look too bad - pretty warm yesterday, but cooler and wetter today and supposed to get a bit cooler through the week with plenty of precipitation - hopefully should be good when/if the freezing level drops.
The week after is meant to be sunny - I think that might be my fault as I've been wishing for Sunny weather for a while to dry things out so I can go biking! Sorry about that! Cool

I heard the Belgian one was in town, though didn't actually hear him, so presume he's stuck in customs wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 22-03-16 5:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@geetee, @stuarth,

P*ssing with rain yesterday, but this deposited a bountiful measure of powder for today's Camp. T-bar bowl was particularly good.

The Belgian IS in town, I met him in Pika's this morning: Canadian Immigration clearly hasn't tightened its stance.
ski holidays
Acacia Oh good! There's sun in the forecast but, of course, a lot can change over the course of the next two weeks. I'll be happy if it doesn't turn sticky.

Acacia wrote:
The Belgian IS in town, I met him in Pika's this morning: Canadian Immigration clearly hasn't tightened its stance.

Laughing
latest report
Still all good (if a little on the heavy side) snowHead
latest report
I love this place!

Monday - skied by myself, as first day back on skis after the knee injury. so wanted to take it easy. Plus my baggage had been 'delayed' en route, so was on hire gear. Unfortunately as I have touring boots (carried in hand luggage thankfully!) I had limited hire options, and ended up on bigger and heavier skis than I would have preferred with a recovering knee (but the smallest pair Excess Backcountry had). Still - skied a few runs on Blackcomb in the morning, all very nice despite a lot of cloud - then headed over to Whistler for the afternoon. Started feeling a bit better about the knee and couldn't resist some nice soft bumps. Ended up skiing the Dave Murray downhill all the way to Creekside (I had no idea where I was going all day - I just skied). Slushy lower down, and maybe wouldn't have chosen it, but all very fun. Did laugh at some people walking up and out of a part of the run with (lovely) very big bumps. Got back up, skied a little more, and downloaded at the end of the day due to the slush.

Tuesday - met up with the SCGB rep, who has been fantastic! Did a tour of Whistler (back on the hire skis as my gear still hadn't arrived Shocked ) and had a brilliant day, though I've no idea of the runs we did. All over the place inc. Harmony and Symphony bowls (I think I particularly liked Harmony). Downloaded after lunch as my bag was meant to arrive after 3pm (it didn't).

Weds - didn't ski as the weather was pants, and my pass includes 2 days off while I'm here, so opted for this one. Apparently it was a good call as it was meant to have been fairly nasty all day. My knee appreciated the break too.

Thursday - what a day! Finally out on my own gear, and back with the SCGB rep for a tour of Blackcomb. For a lot of the day it was just me and him, and he is a young guy, phenomenal skier, and knows the place inside out, so he's been pushing me in terms of speed and terrain - very enjoyable. The visibility was a bit changeable in the morning, and poor in the afternoon, but he found the best of it. Skied so many places, I can't remember them all - but included Secret bowl off of Horstman's, Salmon bowl, and some gladed runs below 7th Heaven (Renegade, Where's Joe, Raptors Ride). He found some great snow too - very fun. My knee gave me a kick at a point on Raptors Ride, so I sat in the snow for half a minute, but got up and skied away, all still working. We skied back down to the base at the end of the day too, but the slush did indeed get really heavy lower down.

I'm really impressed by the sheer scale of the this place - there is so much I want to ski everywhere I look. I'm also impressed by how easy it is to access more difficult terrain, as well and the generally high standard of skiing on display. The names of runs are very entertaining too! (Was a bit thrown by skiing "Catskinner", and loving that there is an area called "Fraggle Rock" Toofy Grin )
latest report
@fixx, wait till you get out touring , and ski body bag bowl . deseased ridge and dead on arrival Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@fixx, Phew so glad you are enjoying it. It is a very big place after 9 years i still have not seen it all. All the runs names have a meaning if you can find a book there. ie parallel to Dave Murry is Franz names after a bloke that first skied the mountain by walking up what became known as Franz's Trail.

Along with the SCGB rep there are free local guides too every day at the main light boards on each mountain.
ski holidays
@Dabber, Shocked No touring this trip - didn't bring my skins, as didn't want the temptation with a slightly dodgy knee. I'll have to come back though, I've seen some awesome lines available Smile

@Jake43, will def head out with the local guides too, I've heard great things.

Great day yesterday in the sunshine, despite the crowds - stayed on Blackcomb, and checked out the glacier! Did the classic run through in the morning, then up Spankys to ski Diamond Bowl in the early afternoon Smile That was lovely - but some of the bowls up there look seriously terrifying! Snow was chopped up but still decent in most of the glacier area though, very nice skiing.
snow report
@fixx, Delighted you're enjoying Whistler, sounds like you're having a blast. Check out Dustys at creekside, the Dubhlinn at Whistler and there's another pretty decent place for apres at Blackcomb (can't recall the name at the mo, pm me if u need it)

I thought Whistler was very good but tbh not a patch on the better resorts in Europe e.g Chamonix, StAnton, Verbier, etc, etc, etc

It's a triumph of marketing, service and proximity to the wonderful Vancouver which is all good, but for me it fell well short of the great category. E.g I'd rate Ischgl, 3V, Zermatt and Val D'Isere well ahead of it also.
latest report
@fixx, Sounds like you need to try the coffin "run" off Peak chair.

http://youtube.com/v/n-po5XQ9-iI&ebc=ANyPxKqYV3nSqlMju5qcG8M2VL7cCygxQmuC_HUxmbuTaJ4LvXmlOC5MqJ-KV1dW9xp5P6Ngs_Rzl_ek4pdt17hg8eC75im4iw

Or Daughters favorite after some new snow Cockalorum
http://youtube.com/v/CE0_3f5F3Lo

Have fun
snow report
@Jake43, I've been shown the coffin Shocked Skullie Never ever ever...!

I did ski Cockalorum yesterday actually - and it was indeed very nice. Also ticked off Whistler Bowl yesterday, though that was very busy, so less fun. Came out to ski down Surprise which was pretty decent. And I think Low Roll, or at least something similar over in Harmony. It was first day of The Camp, so I don't now half of what we did, I was just following Smile

@horgand, I've been to the Dublinnh a few times now Wink Dusty's is planned for Friday - I'm looking forward to it!

I'm still making up my mind about it compared to European resorts. I think it helps that there is a huge amount of snow here at the moment, so there are loads of areas and lines to ski. I'm defintiely skiing better after spendignn time here, as it's forcing me to get better on the harder stuff, as it's all so accessible. I'll have a proper think after I've done my 2 weeks in the 3 Vallees too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Saturday was a spa day - very nice and relaxing. Knee is now feeling hugely better, so that is a relief!

Sunday - decided to do a day with one of the local mountain hosts on Blackcomb. A lot of low vis, so he took us over to 7th Heaven for a few runs, then back round to Crystal. Mid afternoon we all split off and I headed back to 7th Heaven which was deserted! It was like a private playground, really fun Smile

Monday - blue skies and sunshine, and first of my 4 days with "The Camp". I'm reserving judgement on that for now, as I was less than impressed with some aspects of it to start with. My instructor is very good though, and we did ski some fun stuff (see above, all on Whistler) and my technique was definitely better at the end of the day than the start.

Lower slopes - opted to download from the Whistler midstation yesterday, as it's been getting stickier and stickier all the time. Big mistake - huge queues at the midstation! I would rather have skied down... Lesson learned - it's either download from the top, or commit to a full ski down in future.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fixx, Don't forget Crabapple off Whistler too. Sometimes better snow depends if they have had the cannons on.

Pulled Pork Sarni & fries at Dustys ... yum yum.

Which camp instructor did you get? Have a quiet word with them (they are all nice and try to do what you want) to make sure they are doing your thing. They used to do a thing they called Esprit which was a lot more fun but they like to shake things up for some reason. Not sure what they though was broken that they had to fix. Camp was always race training and crazy steeps. Now it seems to be sort of in the middle but I am only a lazy L4 not doing your extremes. You must have been in at least L5 to do those on your first day. Kimberly was teaching that group 2 weeks ago and she is great and been there years.
snow conditions
I'm with @horgand, with regards to Whistler marketing, particularly the comedy snow depth reports, and the 'we have powder' face shot photos after 10cm of snow. If you are not in the first few down a run after new snow, it might as well not have snowed, as you are skiing the base underneath rather than the new snow. Obviously the low elevation, warm temperatures and rain don't help.

I also get the impression that standards are different with regards snow conditions. When I was there in previous years, I would often hear/talk to people saying how great the conditions were (when they weren't), or even watch people from the chair lifts skiing over bare rock and ice (after 10cm new snow), whooping like they were skiing in spectacular conditions.

@fixx The accessibility of terrain is both a benefit and a curse. It is easy to get to, but it is also easy for everyone to get to. In most resorts you have to earn the terrain (a long traverse, a boot pack etc), but in Whistler you can just slide/pole to most of it. Some of the Blackcomb has to be earned, DOA for example.

@Jake43 Your video clips are a perfect example of typical Whistler snow conditions. There are so many skiers that everything it turned into skied out chop in a few hours. The Coffin was never an option the years I was there, as there wasn't enough snow to reach it.
snow conditions
Wow it's warm and slushy!

Tues - Whistler again, though Whistler bowl was thoroughly vetoed by my group - huge unappetizing moguls formed. Others did go in though, but unsurprisingly it was looking a lot quieter than normal...

Cockalorum was still a good ski in the morning, and not bad in the afternoon, though definitely starting to soften...

Weds - over on Blackcomb. Very icy and solid first thing (with some comedy slides to watch) but rapidly softening. We skied the glacier (Blow hole - woohoo! and Winky pop) late morning, and it was closed pretty quickly after us due to avalanche risk, I'm guessing wet slides from the cliffs based on what we observed.

All download options off the mountain have been thoroughly abandoned by me - there's just no need to do that to myself! Sticky glue lower down, ick.

@Jake43, I just had a (very) bad start to the Camp, which has negatively coloured the whole experience. I've spoken to the instructor, as well as a couple of the organisers, and tried to persevere - but it was having a quite strong negative impact on my holiday. So we agreed a partial refund, and I'm not doing the final day. The whole thing would no doubt be hilarious to paulh who is convinced I am permanently happy wink - I definitely haven't been this week, but am now looking forward to my final few days having some fun and relaxed skiing.

I was in a level 5 group, apparently the faster one - which I found amusing, as I think of myself as a rather slow skier Smile Control over speed every time for me! I was one of the faster people in my group though.

@PowderAdict, yep, I think it is over hyped a lot of the time, and it could be annoying that stuff gets tracked out so quickly - but so does Chamonix (my 'home' resort). I'm one of those freakish people though that really likes bumps and bouncing over/through chopped up stuff (despite the bum knee). I just like skiing, being out on the mountain, and travelling and exploring large terrain (as well as the conquering technical challenges of less-then-perfect snow, when fit at least Shocked ), so I am really enjoying the Whistler terrain, even if the powder is limited (understatement...). It seems some great lines are available with a bootpack or skin though, which are much less tracked out than some places... Definitely my kind of thing, even though I've not brought full touring gear this time due to the troublesome knee Evil or Very Mad DOA is on the list for future visits Toofy Grin
snow report
@fixx, Level6 is the highest standard, but there is often could be people who should not be in there. They are normally pretty good about moving people round to get the right levels. They are good about dropping out to though and giving a credit. Sounds bad if you were not happy and they could not sort it out. Hope the feed back got passed back up the management chain?

The whole concept of Whistler is different to Alps. They have a controlled area where you can ski safely (ish). Obviously this attracts loads more people than you would get hiking into fresh untracked powder as they use lifts to get up there at a hundreds an hour, so yes it gets tracked, but I don't mind that either. Just happy to be out there. Note there is a difference to tracked powder and just pure bumps. It was pretty much all bumps at the end of our stay.

If you want huge areas of untracked then get a guide and go out the back. They are opening up an official 3 day trail through the Spearhead range but it will not be ready before 2018. You can do this now, in tents. Not my cup of tea, I like a warm hotel myself. Sister is much more into ski touring and has it on her radar when the huts are open.

We had 3 days of a ft of new stuff over night just the week before you, so sad you have not had any.
snow conditions
@fixx, @Jake43, I agree that the backcountry is the way to go for fresh tracks. I’ve been touring off Whistler across the musical bumps (Flute, Oboe, Singing Pass), and off Blackcomb to the Spearhead Glacier, Mt Decker, DOA and Disease Ridge.

The whole area above 7th Heaven (Booterville, Body Bag bowl) is my favorite side country area on Blackcomb, as it often the only place to find fresh powder days after it last snowed.

I have also been touring further a field, such to Mt Cayoosh, and of course getting proper fresh tracks heli-skiing Very Happy
snow report
After a few days of beautiful, warm sunshine and slush, it's going to be a little bit cooler today. It's playing havoc with my layering system!! Still able to find pockets of snow that aren't either boulder hard or gloomy slush. Some flurries due in the early part of the week but the warm weather returns at the end. It's been almost like summer here. What a scorcher!
snow report
@geetee, Sad Sorry we used it all up. Hope it gets colder soon and more of that new white stuff arrives for you
snow report
@Jake43, it's not looking too likely now but we're still having a great time. Very Happy The freezing level will be lower for the next couple of days so conditions might be OK as long as it doesn't get too sticky. We're doing another camp and geetee jr is signed up for adventure camp. Should be another fun week.
latest report
Incidentally, I can hear it raining so crossing fingers that it's snowing up top and not raining. Live temps show 1 deg C at the Roundhouse and -2 at the Peak. Maybe, just maybe......
snow report
@geetee, Daughter teaches Kids Adventure Camp (creekside) so hope geese jr has a great time.

That was what we had rain in the valley but great new snow up in the Alpine - fingers crossed for you.
ski holidays
@Jake43, actually, it was a pretty good day up the mountain. We found fresh tracks over in Symphony and Boundary Bowl although the visibility was coming and going. Hoping for more tomorrow. 😀❄️
snow conditions
Another wintry day on top of the mountain today. Our fantastic coach from the Camp took us over to Symphony again and there were plenty of fresh tracks. The visibility has been challenging for me but I'm mostly keeping up. Very Happy snowHead The ski-out is still possible but very, very slushy. The sticky stuff was at the bottom of Ptarmigan but slush by the last pitch down to Garbanzo. It looks like we'll return to warm weather again tomorrow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy