Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it a good idea to gather skis as wedding decorations/props?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Long story short, I'm interested in getting some old skis to use as props at my wedding. Be it as coat stands, table decorations, used for a board for table lists, I welcome opinions on sourcing, how I might use them and any problems I may encounter as having them, and then getting rid or using them afterwards.

JM
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ball ache. Save yourself the hassle and just have an apres theme Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shot skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.sparqvault.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/shotski66.jpg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jjthe wrote:
Is it a good idea to gather skis as wedding decorations/props?

Yes it is. My skis have always forged close partnerships and supported each other, even when things get rocky.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I CBA personally. But then I'm constantly nonplussed at the lengths some people go to, to dream up some new degree of daftness for weddings. A good party with good friends, good food, good music, is what's important.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I CBA personally. But then I'm constantly nonplussed at the lengths some people go to, to dream up some new degree of daftness for weddings. A good party with good friends, good food, good music, is what's important.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, I think you have been quite insensitive there re "dreaming up some new daftness". just because themes weren't the thing in your day doesn't mean you should ride rough shod over other people's thoughts for their wedding. The OP asked for objective advice regarding the logistical aspects, not your subjective opinion of her personal choice for a wedding theme. You are of course entitled to say what you want - but in this case could you not just wish the bride to be a wonderful wedding if you don't have any practical advice to give?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess you'd need to be a bit of DIYist. May have to detune the edges a lot depending what they were used for. Generally transportation could be a pain. Getting rid... depends... if it's something useful that is made with it you could maybe sell it on. Otherwise the obvious option is just to junk them. Not sure how recyclable ski's are? I've always sold on my cast offs. Not that I've that many.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Collect what you want! I've seen some quite cool ornaments and tables and things made out of old skis. You just need to have the patience to do it!

Nadenoodlee wrote:
Ball ache. Save yourself the hassle and just have an apres theme Smile

Wait, that could be expensive. Hire a large wooden barn, haul in the largest sound system known to man playing Highway To Hell at 1000 decibels, a room full of heavy-duty tables for the guests to dance on and 80,000 litres of beer?

Can I come?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
The OP asked for objective advice regarding the logistical aspects, not your subjective opinion of her personal choice for a wedding theme. You are of course entitled to say what you want - but in this case could you not just wish the bride to be a wonderful wedding if you don't have any practical advice to give?

And now you've read the other thread and have realised this thread is precisely to discuss if it's a good idea or not...... rolling eyes

OP, I confess to having a couple of old pairs in the garage that I've been meaning to turn into lights or similar for years. I'm going to suggest it's a great idea, but that the time and effort involved may lead to you going cold on the idea. They are, after all, fairly cumbersome things with sharp edges and catchy bits on them. If you are prepared to overcome these issues and have the time and tenacity then I'm sure it will be great, but don't underestimate the effort involved.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jjthe, I think it's a great idea especially if skiing is your other passion, we all know the bride is your first passion 😉. However, I add to the notes of caution. Our daughter got married the other year and she chose an autumnal theme, which was good cos all the stuff went into the recycling/compost (leaves/pine cones/etc), she had orchid plants as a centre piece on each table to which she stuck a raffle ticket on the bottom and gave everyone a raffle ticket, one person on each table took home an orchid. I tell you this to echo, 'what are you gonna do with loads of pair of skis, snowboards, gear, etc.'? As well as collecting stuff, can I suggest a disposal plan? Maybe you could set up a company making hat stands, lights, seats?

Have a brilliant day and congrats to you both.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I prefer less hassle and would just have a good session (I got married abroad so no decisions on table decs, invites, fancies, flowers etc.) However, it would certainly make the day very memorable if you go to town on the ski theme.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jjthe, have you tried calling round the various indoor/outdoor slopes to see if they have any old kit ?

Afterwards donate them to a charity http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98680
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Shimmy Alcott, the OP asked whether it's a good idea. I think it's a daft idea. Just answering the question.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy