Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for old / disused skis and equipment.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

After proposing to my future wife at the bottom of a Heliski decent in the Alps, we're having an alpine themed wedding.

Does anyone have any disused skis that they are looking to get rid of? Happy to make a small donation to you / a charity to get hold of them.

The more retro the better but will take anything I can get.

Also if anyone has any old ski paraphernalia they would like to get rid of I am also interested!!

JM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When's the wedding? Remember at the end of every season (ie late April into May) the bins in Tignes were full of old kit - guess it's the same in most resorts?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep it's actually may 2016. I have thought of this but getting many pairs of skis back to UK may be logistically difficult!

Good idea though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are doing the same thing. I popped the question in a bubble in the 3V at New Year. We plan to get married this year, ski themed as well. We have a local dry slope near us so I was thinking of visiting them and seeing how much it will cost to rent their skis off them for the day. I'm sure they don't use them all.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-02-15 13:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jjthe, Hire a small van for the week and have a road trip round europe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I get the "theme" thing - but what exactly are you intending to do with 60 pairs of skis at your wedding? Have them in a pile? And what are you going to do with them after? Make a dozen benches? We had a few hints of the alpine way around our 'do' - skier and snowboarder cake toppers, the thank-you cards were done on vintage ski poster postcards and such, but unless you can think of what to do with the stuff, put it on the 'maybe' pile of ideas...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's exactly the reason why we are going to try renting for ours. As with what to do with them... I'm not involved in that decision, I just got to turn up wink

Apparently choosing a colour scheme is a thing Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mainly use them for decoration, coat racks, maybe a board for table lists.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can make really cool coat racks / hat stands from old skis
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have an old pair. PM me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My word of caution is just to say that closer to The Day, your attention might be focused elsewhere other than working out how you're going to ship half a ton of pig-iron and PTEX to your venue and using it in entertaining ways.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, thanks Richard.

Unfortunately my original post was asking if anybody has these things, not asking for advice on whether or not I should be using these things.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jjthe, given that you've managed to be a sarcastic bellend to someone who was genuinely trying to help by post 4, welcome to getting no help at all from someone like me, who knows exactly where you could get dozens of pairs of old skis for almost nothing.

Some people.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wasn't being sarcastic, merely an observation. As pointed out in my previous post, help on sourcing such things would be more than welcome.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jjthe,

So you join a board, don't become a snowhead and therefore contribute, first post is to ask for some free stuff and then your rude to a long standing member who gives a bit of advice.

Try ebay and get lost rolling eyes
snow report
To be fair to the new guy which is pretty rare around here rolling eyes @Richard_Sideways, wasn't offering any help in his posts, merely offering his unsolicited opinions on whether it was a good idea or not which believe it or not snowheads clique some people can decide for themselves..

jjthe it's quite a common trend about here..

If you don't want to get the from the Alps where there will be a good supply after winter no doubt then you are left with checking with your local dry slopes to see if they have anything useful or other places that hire them like the many places up here in Scotland that wont be using them in the summer at all, I guess it depends on how many pairs you need really as to whether it's worth going for a drive abroad or up north, either way you don't need help from tw@ts
snow conditions
Thanks @geeo, very helpful.

I am a regular on many forums and most of the ones I frequent have rules about moving topic subjects off the beaten track. We can set up a new thread discussing opinions on sourcing skis for weddings.

I do see that @Mistress Panda has jumped straight to calling a stranger bellend, which is one of the most mature things I've seen on a forum. Also then gloating that you know where to source these and saying that you're keeping it to yourself is prepubescent teen schoolyard behaviour. That said, if you do actually know where one might find some then why don't you stop just slagging off someone for abiding my forum rules, get past your immaturity and share your knowledge.

That's what forums are for after all aren't they, sharing knowledge?

@Richard_Sideways, if you would like to discuss the merits of using them, I've stared a thread here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2672958#2672958

I suggest we keep this post on track and move any uninvited aggravation and hostility away from everyone.
snow report
I suggest you then move this to buy/sell/exchange, as that would be a more appropriate place for it.

I also would suggest that your fiancé should have a real think about whether she wants to get married to a rude arrogant muppet, but then again, perhaps we would need a neew thread for that Toofy Grin
snow conditions
One thing you lot have done is thoroughly brightened up my otherwise dull Tuesday evening. You must be really entertained by insulting strangers online.

I'm going to go immediately and join ski club of Great Britain so I can be like all of you! Yay!
ski holidays
Great! go on there, be rude, ask for handouts and see how you get on. Don't let the door hit you on the way out
latest report
Thanks for your kind advice @SkiG, well done for welcoming a newcomer. Be headstrong and proud of yourself.
snow report
@jjthe, ignore the comments. What you posted was perfectly reasonable, and people for some reason seem to like offering advice when its not asked for.

@SkiG, judging people by if they become a "snowhead" or not is pathetic.

@geeo,
Quote:

To be fair to the new guy which is pretty rare around here @Richard_Sideways, wasn't offering any help in his posts, merely offering his unsolicited opinions on whether it was a good idea or not which believe it or not snowheads clique some people can decide for themselves..

Well said.

I can't offer any advice on where to source the skis but good luck and congrats on your wedding.
snow conditions
@alex99, thank you Smile
ski holidays
@jjthe, there was someone selling an old gondola on ebay who posted it on here. They used it for their wedding. £3k was the asking price. Let me know and I'll pass on their details.

We were interested, but £3k is a bit more than we'd be looking to pay (the OH will probably be looking at a summer house type thing instead).
ski holidays
Jesus. Some people are really nice aren't they. What the feck does he do to be called a bellend?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 3-02-15 20:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Far too many know it all numpties on here these days, ignore them.
But deffo some really great people in here also. Good luck with the wedding
snow report
@hammerite, thanks, that was actually some of my best friends. Unfortunately I don't think I can copy them outright so much! But thank you for posting!
snow conditions
Take it easy chaps, jjthe's response to Richard_Sideways' comment may be construed, by some, as a little defensive but it definitely wasn't rude. The attacks on him are uncalled for and not particularly welcoming. People join snowHeads for many different reasons initially but we all have one thing in common: a love for snow. So let's keep the love and lose the animosity.

Aargh edits for autocorrect typos.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 3-02-15 20:29; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jjthe, Laughing Laughing I have a few pairs you can have I will pm you.
ski holidays
@jjthe, near us there used to be an auction run by the firm that ran the local tip for the council. Anything that could be sold went to it. Full of tat, but most weeks had skis and boots in it, that went for very little, a quid or two a lot. Anything similar nearby?
latest report
Oh dear Sad

Hi @jjthe, apologies but I've assumed you were the bride to be on the other thread!!

I'm really confused as to the outburst of hostility to you on here Puzzled

Anyhow, hope you get some useful advice and good luck for the wedding - it's nice to see a bloke involved in the preparations Very Happy
snow report
Zero_G wrote:
Take it easy chaps, jjthe's response to Richard_Sideways' comment may be construed, by some, as a little defensive but it definitely wasn't rude. The attacks on him are uncalled for and not particularly welcoming. People join snowHeads for many different reasons initially but we all have one thing in common: a love for snow. So let's keep the love and lose the animosity.

Aargh edits for autocorrect typos.

+1

Am totally confused as to why the guy is being verbally attacked here.
snow report
@jjthe, Congrats and good luck! If any of the local dry slopes are getting new kit (might happen haha)...could be worth a call or two! You've loads of time to sort though, as long as you get cracking Smile
@Shimmy Alcott, Me too. Full moon maybe....
snow report
@jjthe, I think its a lovely idea - people nowadays seem to go to endless trouble and time theming their weddings, ours was so long ago I just recall my husband being told by the waiter on arrival that the sherry was for the guests and he then had to work a bit harder to be allowed one himself.

I also thought you were the bride to be on the other thread, don't know why that was. As well as skis you could think about having some piste marker lollipops made up for you with place names that are significant - or just other significant names to use somewhere around the reception marking things.

And if you do manage to source lovely old wooden skis as opposed to just unwanted skis then there will always be a good resale market for those.
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
And if you do manage to source lovely old wooden skis as opposed to just unwanted skis then there will always be a good resale market for those.

My thoughts too. And then you can decorate your home afterwards Very Happy
snow report
@jjthe, congratulations. It would be worth trying your local civic amenity site, ours always seems to have a few which they are happy to sell you for a pound or so - we used them for practice when other half was learning to service our skis. Ours is friendly enough that if you phone before going, they'll check if they have what you are looking for and keep it for you!
ski holidays
@jjthe - ive got one pair of skis you can have for free if you're able to collect from manchester. PM me if so . . .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy