Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pesky Left Arm

Poster: A snowHead
It was pointed out to me last week that I have a tendency to drop my arm when coming out of turns (in that particular instance a steepish bumpy slope), which then causes me to drop the shoulder, twist a bit and get out of balance. Following on from that I noticed that even in simple cruising along tracks etc it's particularly pronounced in my left arm - my right arm tends to stay roughly where it's put, but unless I concentrate on keeping my hand just in vision my left keeps on dropping down by my side. rolling eyes

This may be slightly aggravated by my other main hobby, bell-ringing where, being right-handed, I pull with right hand above left, so my right shoulder has over 30 years of experience of being higher than my left, and I also have slightly reduced mobility in my left shoulder after over-extending the joint in a fall about 3 years ago.

Other than just keep looking at my hand (as sometimes there are more interesting/important things to look at), does anyone have any ideas on how to train my left arm to stay where it's put? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN,
just a supid idea, but what height are you and what size of pole do you use, ie I am 5'10 and now use a 130cm pole, used to use 125, but it was suggested by a mate (basi trainer) that a short pole on steep terrain can, when you go to pole plant cause your shoulder to drop and your upper body to rotate, seems to work for me,

not sure if this will help with the overall position but it may keep you looking good on the steep stuff
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, interesting idea. I'm a shade under 6' and use 125cm poles, which are about right for me on the usual "hold an upended pole under the basket" test. I may well try that some time, although I suspect that's not the real answer - as I've noticed I also tend to drag the left pole tip along the snow when I'm not paying attention.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN,
Quote:

interesting idea. I'm a shade under 6' and use 125cm poles, which are about right for me on the usual "hold an upended pole under the basket" test.

same with me but the 130 works so much better when on the hill, go on rent a pair for a day
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, 'ANTI-SHOULDER DROPPER' Yet to be patented, but a 'Mercury' switch, wrist attachment type device, wired in conjunction with controller worn upon the body,which upon detecting a lowering of the designated arm, delivers an electric shock of varying & increasing intensity to the aforementioned body, thus killing, or curing the shoulder-dropping miscreant. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bernard Condon,
Quote:

'ANTI-SHOULDER DROPPER' Yet to be patented, but a 'Mercury' switch, wrist attachment type device, wired in conjunction with controller worn upon the body,which upon detecting a lowering of the designated arm, delivers an electric shock of varying & increasing intensity to the aforementioned body,

And the delivery mechanism is attached where exactly, for best effect wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bernard Condon, sounds just what I need. I take it you're selling them on a "buy two, get the third free" deal! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, Very good exercise is to ski with your poles lying over the top of your wrists. If you drop hand/shoulder/whatever, you drop the pole and have to hike back for it - works better on snow than plastic though. Can be used in conjunction with the "tray" exercise.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny, If it is a particularily serious case of 'Shoulder Dropping', then great sacrifices need to be made when deciding the optimum attachment location.......... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, yep, was doing that a lot of last week (including GSy type stuff through the lumpy stuff at the top of the Epaule de Charvet - the bottom section was pretty much unskiable) - didn't drop them once, although did have to bank them into the wind a few times to stop them blowing off. I also added it to my Aldershot exercise repertoire on Weds. It seems as if I'm fine in most cases - except when I'm holding them properly rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bernard Condon,
Quote:

snowbunny, If it is a particularily serious case of 'Shoulder Dropping', then great sacrifices need to be made when deciding the optimum attachment location..........

Quite, well it will be a sacrifice for GrahamN, certainly Toofy Grin Then again...a great incentive Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, Start bell ringing left handed wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, You could alsways pick up a third pole and put that across your wrists while holding your poles normally - that should help. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do everything left-handed... Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN, do you pole-plant when you ski? If not, try it. If you're looking down the hill where to plant the downhill pole as you complete your turn, your uphill shoulder shouldn't drop. Cool

Other than that I'm sure there are some silly ski exercises you could do like dragging (vertically hanging) poles... oh and the one easiski has suggested about skiing with your poles balanced on your wrists - always a cracker for making people ski fantastically! snowHead
snow report
Naughty snowbunny Shocked !

spyderjon, that had occurred to me, but a) it's incredibly uncomfortable and ungainly while getting used to it and b) there's the danger of your (normally right-handed) neighbour catching your rope if you're in a tight circle Shocked Shocked . Admittedly that's no problem at all at my home tower, which has about as big a circle as L'pool (Anglican) Cathedral.

Snowy, the problem is mainly in the 2nd half of the turn - i.e. from just after passing the fall-line to getting across the hill. When turning to the right getting ready earlier for the pole plant would certainly help pull the arm forward. The more serious problem is in the left turn though as I tend to leave the pole I'm turning around somewhere behind me up the hill - I think that really just requires a conscious effort to keep facing down the hill during the turn. You're probably right in that this will happen if I consciously start preparing for the next right hand turn as part of completing the left hand turn - although the times when this is most important is when it's sufficiently steep that I'm more concerned about speed control and not falling over than maintaining fluidity....but that's maybe part of the problem in itself.

easiski, that sounds an excellent idea Laughing ! Particularly as I normally have a third pole in my ski-bag....I used to go through poles rather frequently Embarassed . The only problem is what to do with it when I'm done with the exercise and doing something that requires full concentration just to get down it. Maybe I need to invest in a telescopic pole just for this exercise. I suppose I could use my ice-axe, but that's incredibly heavy! Ah...I've got it; at long last, a use for my avalanche probe snowHead
snow report
GrahamN,

You said it.....face more downhill rather than the traverse position, or maybe link the turns a bit quicker to stop the comfort zone and hence the arm drop.
snow report
JT, If GrahamN, does not fancy the effects of the patented ANTI SHOULDER DROPPER Madeye-Smiley , then,may I suggest.....Find yourself a spacious red run for a whole morning, leave your poles someplace safe....take off your gloves, place them on the backs of your hands....go skiing. It works, the learning curve is steep Toofy Grin . If you find that you are slipping back into bad habits, then you have the pleasure of doing the exercise over again Very Happy
latest report
snowbunny, now I see the point of your variation - if you take too long over it, your hands have got frostbite, your arm is amputated following the resulting gangrene.....problem solved Twisted Evil !

Quote:
spacious red run
- no sweat at all - far more interesting is doing the exercise cruising over some lumpy off-piste Wink , that gives you a nice bit of practice keeping a quiet upper body too.
snow conditions
GrahamN, You will quickly learn to keep an eye on those gloves, since if you drop them, you will have to hike up to collect them Toofy Grin . And yes, choose whatever style of run you wish, your focus will be on keeping the upper body nice and quiet wink I imagine the nuisance factor will soon outweigh the chance for getting frostbite ... enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
GrahamN

Your problem isn't as uncommon as you might think and it is nothing to do with bell ringing etc. Many skiers turn better one way than another and it is to do with which way they are "handed". In addition, it tends to be a problem with the whole turn, not just the hands, shoulders etc.

However, don't despair. There is a cure. Firstly, it might sound obvious, but you are aiming to do exactly the same thing turning either way, except mirrored. The reason I say this is because I am going to first describe a turn to the right, because the image I want to describe works best that way.

The turn is initiated through 2 actions, the pole plant and a weight transfer. Although not part of the topic of the thread, it is worth noting I say "transfer" rather than "weighting and unweighting" (more in a second!).

Start by planting the pole. This is done with your elbow still bent and almost only by a flick of the wrist (oh, er misses!) The turn is initiated by pushing your hand down the fall line (and weight transfer described below). The image you you want is that you are changing gear from second to third. What happens is that your arm straightens and is pushed oput over the tip of the pole. In this way your arm cannot get left behind.

Now the clever bit! This gets your weight headingdown the fall line. If at the same time as you "change gear" you transfer your weight onto the old uphill ski (and soon to be downhill ski) your trn carves nicely and your body is in a great position. Now, when I say weight transfer forget the "stand up on the ski" idea. You want to maintain the knee bend and softness so as to absorb bumps. Instead, think about pushing down through the instep of your foot. Don't worry about conciously changing the angle of the ski to get onto the new edge. Your new pole plant has looked after that. By "changing gear", you have alreadyy flattened out the skis and moved onto the new edge.

Now, because you arm has been pushed forward and straightened, with the pole tip now behind you, your arm will stay there and as soon as you have completed your turn, your new downhill arm should be ready to plant!

To repeat, the key image is the "gear change". On the left turn it is second to third, on a left hand turn it is third to first (don't try it in your car!!). This really does work. Practice it standing in your living room and notice how the gear change "pulls" you onto the new edge.

I hope this helps.

(with acknowledgement to the late, great Giles Green)
snow conditions
SimonN, thaks for that. I'm afraid to confess though I completely forgot all about it when I was out a few weeks ago. I do try to do pretty much what you suggest, although the gear change that happens with my left hand is normally 4th to 1st (which is what I think you meant), followed by a quick shift up into 2nd as I go round the corner - which causes the rotation. I'll try and remember it when I'm out again next week.

It'll probably give the purists heart failure, but I did find a solution, although I hope it's only a temporary one - double pole planting! This stopped all rotation, kept the body flowing nicely down the hill and and kept the miscreant arm/shoulder pretty much where it should be most of the time. No good for any attempts at zipper-line stuff, but works well on pitches with a moderate rhythm.
ski holidays
GrahamN, the other thing to do is free weight arm/shoulder exerices in front of a mirror. Stare hard at your reflection and force your body to hold as perfect symmetrical form on each side during each movement. This will teach you to know how your body feels when it IS in balance, and to recognise the feeling when it's not.

NB when you start using good form in your arms & shoulders & chest, you'll probably also find other supporting muscles (especially the core) working more heavily on one side or t'other, to re-stabilise the previously out-of-kilter upper muscles.
ski holidays
Manda, he's in La Grave this week!!! It sound like good advice to me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy