Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Legs getting tired too quickly **Warning pink pants**

Poster: A snowHead
Yep I'm heavier than I ought to be, but I'm sure I'm getting more tired than I should.

I've done around 5 weeks skiing now and would probably call myself an intermediate skier (happy on reds, done a few blacks - Courchevel).

I make an effort to work out leading up to the trip. Last year I did about 2 months of running for cardio fitness and cycling for the legs. This year I have been doing crossfit since November - loads of squats, lunges, etc etc. So I have decent strength and some endurance.

But today I just tried my boots on and I'm conscious of the fact that even when I'd just sanding in them at home, my thighs are turned on. I just don't seem to be able to get in a position when my skeleton is taking my weight (as if I were standing in normal shoes)(should I be able to?). I have big calves, so they are no doubt pushing my knees forward.

My boots were purchased in 2013 from Profeet in London and I had custom footbeds made. They have also added a heel lift (I think that's what it is - a small bit of white foam in the heel of the boot. I used to work in London, but am now on Anglesey, so can't get back to profeet to take advantage of their comfort guarantee.

My mates just hire boots form the resort and seem to ski all day happily. I find myself needing to stop and rest quite often - in the afternoon I can probably only ski for 3 or 4 minutes than then need to pull up at the side of the piste.

Can anyone offer some advice. I have attached a couple of pics below of me in what is my 'skiing' position and my 'trying to stand up and rest but not really being able to' position. Apologies for the pink boxers

Skiing

Standing/Resting
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 bits of advice:
1/ ski like pic *2
2/ Drop the pink pants Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not dropping my pants for nobody, KenX. At last not without a few jagerbombs.

So I should ski more upright? I guess I always thought I should be putting weight on the shin?

I'm off to Meribel next week and have some lessons booked, so that will probably help too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
KenX wrote:
2 bits of advice:
1/ ski like pic *2

Totally agree, pink pants make my legs tired too. I find I get less tired when wearing blue pants wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The one piece of equipment I didn't think to question. Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 1-02-15 19:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're struggling on day 1, why not rent boots in day 2 to see if it helps. A day of comfort never did anyone any harm Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thought had crossed my mind foxtrotzulu. May well try that. Next week I'm taking my 8 year old daughter for her first trip, but returning in March with the boys. So happy to lose a day or two next week to try options and get it fixed.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Instead of renting boots, pay for a lesson to improve your stance, which will make a massive difference.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep. Week of morning lessons booked with Parallel Lines for next week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do sets of 100 rep squats
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For next year why not embark on a training plan at a snow dome?

In my experience from living out there, we'd spend all summer getting fit for the Winter, doing exercises every day, then at the start of the season would struggle to ski all day every day, (when guiding was ok) a couple of weeks later we were all back in the groove and able to.

My view is that very little can really help your skiing stamina than actually doing it, sorting your stance will also help..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You ould try taking the spoilers out from your boots (the removable wedge which is velcroed to the top of the inner boot).

I can see that you have the top buckles as wide as they go. That will mean you end up with a lot of forward lean. You then compensate by pushing your backside back. Taking the spoiler out and buckling up tighter will reduce the forward lean slightly.

it might or might not help but worth experimenting....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

You ould try taking the spoilers out from your boots (the removable wedge which is velcroed to the top of the inner boot).

I can see that you have the top buckles as wide as they go

Spoilers were already removed by Profeet during fitting. My calves are pretty big so they did all they could to create space.

I could tighten the top buckles more if that would straighten me up a bit

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 1-02-15 19:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

For next year why not embark on a training plan at a snow dome

I'm too far from a snowdome, but I have been doing crossfit 3 times a week since November which has improved my strength significantly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could the heel lift be 'hurting' my stance? Surely this is tipping me forward too?
latest report
Not necessarily. If you take out the heel lifters your calf muscles will be lower and you might find it even harder to buckle up. Try to buckle up tighter and see if that helps.
ski holidays
Good point
ski holidays
Designer156, if you look at your pics above, you will see that your lower leg has the same angle in both pics.

However, in the first pic your pelvis is tilted back, pushing your bum out into a squatting position where your glutes and core are not fully engaged and your quads are doing most of the work to keep you balanced. I bet you feel slightly off balance, so your shoulders are overshooting your knees? On steep or uneven terrain, you could end up pushing your bum out further backwards and your shoulders further forwards. Terrible position to be in for maintaining balance and your poor quads will be working so hard to keep your balance that they won't really be able to absorb changes in the terrain. They will be like shock absorbers with no absorption.

In the second pic, your pelvis is tilted forward, engaging your glutes (and core) more and taking the strain off your quads. I bet you feel more balanced like this? That's because your core is working. Then, on steep or uneven terrain, you should have more leeway to flex at the knees and at the waist to maintain balance.

The problem is not in the boots, it's in the pelvis Very Happy

I'm not sure what cross fit entails but try focusing on improving core strength (more balance exercises, not just crunches and sit-ups) as well as strength and flexibility in the glutes (if you don't stretch overly tight glutes then it wreaks havoc with the angle of your pelvis). Oh and looks like your quads are getting a hammering from the training, make sure you stretch and roll them too because tight quads will also interfere with various alignments. You need to balance the strength of your quads with hamstring strength too.
snow report
Quote:

In the second pic, your pelvis is tilted forward, engaging your glutes (and core) more and taking the strain off your quads.

Yep glutes and abs definitely engaged more when I 'stand up' as in pic 2. It actually feels like more effort standing in my office now - short term, it's easier to rely on the quads. But I can see that after an hour or so of skiing the quads will be dead. So although engaging glutes and core may feel like harder work, long term it's more sustainable. Is that right?
snow conditions
Engage glutes and core and ensure pelvis is tilted forward. This provides better balance and takes strain off the quads. There are variations of the same analogy used by many a ski instructor when trying to describe the correct pelvic tilt for skiing: shag, not shit Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

shag, not poo-poo

Love it. Thanks for that.
snow report
What @Zero_G, is suggesting is bob i reckon... As for which you find easier here's a challenge..... Time how long you can stand in your position 1 and then do the same again in your position 2.
ski holidays
Quote:

here's a challenge..... Time how long you can stand in your position 1 and then do the same again in your position 2

I'll dig out my stopwatch...

Thanks
snow report
I would surmise that the pictures posted,may reflect what you think your skiing position is, but in real life skiing you are probably skiing in the back seat which will make you tired. 5 weeks is not a lot of skiing and most people will find it is difficult to learn how to be in the most efficient skiing position, consistently, without good instruction, and video feedback would help (and a few more weeks of practice). I would not underestimate the benefit of an exercise regime to be more "ski fit" but skiing inefficiently is still very tiring. If you are getting tired after just a few minutes it sounds like you are using an awful lot of effort to control your speed, rather than using the mountain, and the shape of the skis to help you. You may find that a few hours of one to one instruction will be of more benefit than group lessons. Oh, and as long as the colour of your pants match your skis you'll be fine.
snow conditions
See I was right first time Very Happy
Stance *2 is best.....
Just need to sort the pants now!
ski holidays
Quote:

See I was right first time

Ha! Yep.
snow report
@Slippery Slope, #1 is the classic in the back seat, never mind skiing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

you are using an awful lot of effort to control your speed, rather than using the mountain, and the shape of the skis to help you

Absolutely right. Still sliding a lot to control speed, so, like driving with the brakes on, using a lot of juice. Hoping a week's tuition will help improve efficiency.

Well no one has criticised the boots which is a relief. I need to stand up more and engage the core and glutes more. My big calves probably don't help, but really just need to focus on technique and efficient skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it's impossible to draw any conclusions from two non-skiing photos. Skiing is about movements not about static positions, and it's not possible to see how you (and your kit) moves without the forces that are generated by turning on your skis. Do you have any video?
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I really don't want to know any more about his kit moving!
snow conditions
@under a new name, Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Do you have any video?

This is from last year, but not a lot of me (camera was on my helmet most of the time). I'm in the distance at 1:40 and again at 3:35

2014 Meribel

And this is from the year before, although I'd like to think my turns are a bit more fluid now.

2013 Meribel
ski holidays
Designer156 wrote:
And this is from the year before, although I'd like to think my turns are a bit more fluid now.
In that clip you are quickly pushing your skis sideways at the start of the turn, and sitting backwards (your knees flex proportionately more than your ankles) as you get in to the turn. As a result your skis don't do any work for you until the end of the turn and you have to use a lot of energy to create the turn. It's not an efficient way to ski, so your quads, in particular, are having to do more work than is necessary. I think looking to your technique is probably a better starting point than looking at your kit if you are trying to understand why you're getting tired.
snow report
What is the circumference of your calves? If it is in the upper teens in inches then message CEM and talk to him about getting the boots stretched to be made more upright. I have dealt with the large calves problem myself and it is onenof the rare occasikns where you may need to deal witb the gear before dealing with the technique. This is not commonly recognised.

If not then it is probably technique. But theere is no point in taking lessons if your equipment physically prevents you from making the correct movements.
snow report
Quote:

What is the circumference of your calves?

Calves are 18.5 inches. Is CEM a member of this forum?
ski holidays
Quote:

It's not an efficient way to ski, so your quads, in particular, are having to do more work than is necessary

Yeah definitely feel like I'm fighting the mountain a lot of the time. 2014 was better than 2013, but still lots to learn.
ski holidays
Designer156 wrote:
Is CEM a member of this forum?
Yes. Colin Martin, who runs Solutions for Feet in Bicester.
ski holidays
Designer156 wrote:
... but still lots to learn.
It's very easy to let that movement become the automatic, instinctive way you start all your turns. Best to nip it in the bud as early as possible.
latest report
Zero_G wrote:
KenX wrote:
2 bits of advice:
1/ ski like pic *2

Totally agree, pink pants make my legs tired too. I find I get less tired when wearing blue pants wink

I always had you down as a commando girl wink
snow report
musher, shhhh wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy