Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - The price of beer!!

Poster: A snowHead
Thirsty wrote:
Yes, indeedy Flaine has taken the 'Broadwater Farm' look to heart and must be in everyones top ten Ugly Carbuncles in the mountains.

Yes, I thought everyone knew that Flaine was ugly, how did you not know!?!? huge network of pistes though.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did find drinks (except beer, which is never cheap in Italy) cheaper in the Dolomites than in France (though French prices do vary enormously) and the quality of hot chocolate and coffee infinitely better.

But food in most French resorts needn't be ruinous. I can have an excellent "plat du jour" with drinkable wine for €15 - €20. A bowl of soup is normally around €7 - 8, about the same as a "goulasch suppe" in the Dolomites (both of variable quality and quantity but generally a decent lunchtime nosh). Whilst the Italians make the best hot chocolates and coffee I have to say that French bread is generally far better - and always appears unbidden, with anything - not the case in Italy.

I did find Flaine expensive, the few times I've eaten there, but you can obviously do better with local knowledge (as everywhere). I've eaten very little in the 3V for years but had the worst-value French onion soup ever in Val Thorens - it was about 40 cents per sliver of onion. rolling eyes

The cost of renting skis in the Arlberg is such that you would have to drink a fair bit of beer to recoup the difference.

I get the impression that lift passes are much the same, all over.

All this talk of eating in mountain restaurants is whetting my appetite to get back out there. snowHead But my cheffy son is cooking wild salmon meuniere with capers and asparagus for us tonight, so I think I can manage...... must go and dig us out a half bottle of a nice white.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jellybabe, I don't think I've ever spent less €40 in Pepe's...but it is good and that's for 2 courses and wine
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, asparagus ..in February?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok most of us only had 1 course but we did have wine and beer. The portions are good and decent atmosphere (apart from twice with the same French family next to us ith 4 boys playing DS throughout the evening). I think two out of four had two courses. But it was def 25 euro including tips as I collected the money in. Le coffee used to be fab for lunch but had seriously gone downhill last year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jellybabe, depends what you have of course
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, yes, well, the food miles are probably quite high. Embarassed It was the side dish part of the "meal for 2 for £20" in Waitrose. The pudding I chose was a chocolate tart, absolutely gigantic for two. It fed 6 of us very nicely, with a modest scoop of home made raspberry sorbet, last night. I looked at the food values - one-sixth of the tart was 367 calories. And it was supposed to be for just two! My son re-named it the "Waitrose Get Fat Together Menu".
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, the Austrians make the best coffee
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Two steaks, 1 duck confit and 1 pizza, a tarte au pomme and an ice cream, a cola, 2 small beers and a glass of white. Bought a tarte au pomme from tesco last week to serve 4 and it cost £4.50 and that is without it being heated or any cream.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
79c for a 66cl bottle here in Italy - although that is in the supermarket. For some reason we bought a crate full.

In the bars it's anything up to €3.50 for 50cl, or even more if you want the fantastic Birra Rosso.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, Laughing

@red 27, Hmmm, I am often disappointed by the coffee in Austria, but then again I am no connoisseur

@jellybabe, Very good, I usually go starter and main course, or main and a cafe gourmande which is a bit more expensive, also proper bottle of wine. i never seem to want what is on the menu du jour!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lidll in Bordeaux charge 4.99 euro for 24 50cl beers. If heading to the alps by car stop at superu buy in bulk and sign up for their equiv of a clubcard for discounts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

In the bars it's anything up to €3.50 for 50cl

cost that for a small beer in many places - and small in Italy can be as small as 20cl.

Sorry @red 27, I find it hard to believe that anyone makes coffee better than the Italians. And normally for not much more than €1.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, now you mention it I was thinking of the coffee in Arosa recently and of course that is in Switzerland these days so I'm talking garbage..

Ooooh it was lovely though - thick, rich, syrupy with a golden texture as it goes down, Served in it's own little pot with hot milk in a matching one. If I could get that in London I'd pay almost as much as a beer in Plaine costs
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll start a coffee shop!
latest report
8 Euros for a pint in Les Deux Alpes at one the restaurants at the bottom of the freestyle park.

Nice pizzas though Toofy Grin
latest report
Any Flaine regulars know if any of the bars will show the FA Cup games at the weekend? Liverpool kick off at 4pm (UK) on Sunday so my ski team are hoping to watch it somewhere.
snow conditions
Quote:

8 Euros for a pint in Les Deux Alpes

that does sound a lot but I paid £3.60 for a glass of ginger beer in a very ordinary pub yesterday, so £6.15 for a pint of beer doesn't sound so bad.
latest report
If it's on SKY you should be OK at Diamant Noir or the White Grouse (& possibly the Flying Dutchman depending what's on in Holland)
snow conditions
£6.20 for a small glass of Shiraz at Tamworth Snowdome last weekend - makes Flaine look cheap!
snow conditions
@janner, Cheers Janner. Very Happy
latest report
€6.50 for a 33cl draught beer in Milan yesterday...
latest report
I am not a big beer drinker and am always v glad of that when in Italy.
snow report
Great day in grand massif but several pistes on morillon and samoens side closed. Lower piztes very soft and sticky in the warm weather.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy