Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit for teens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Go easy on me, you never venture far fom Après!

I am looking for advice and guidance on ski/board gear for my boys, twins aged 14. They have both skied since age 4 and are a good intermediate standard, ESF Gold.

That said as we only manage a week a year now, we tend to just cruise pistes as family and mess around on little cut throughs just off piste. One boy has recently switched to boarding and is getting to reasonable standard.

Now they re not growing as much, I'm tempted to get some ski stuff of eBay for them. I've seen various skis and boards online which are same as ones we have hired before, so that's reasonably straightforward. Main concern is boots, fit are still growing but not as fast now. Is the advice to hire still or is there a chance of trading them in each year?

Fwiw, we drive and rent apartment each year so is slightly easier than traipsing down to hire shop. They would like own gear and as well get few years use may save cash.

Thoughts please
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can always sell on eBay, quite often make a profit if you time it right
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ebay purchases (and subsequent sales) can be a useful addition to hire kit, but we did always end up hiring some stuff for our 3 boys. Then we were often able to get away 2 or 3 times a year during their teenage years. For once a year, until feet have completely finished growing and becoming their adult shape, I would hire boots. (More maturity might also bring bring a greater degree of understanding what they want from their boots.) Weather you can get away with taking skis/board may depend on your offsprings attitude, ours became 'experts' rolling eyes knowing that they needed different skis for different conditions etc rolling eyes Laughing You may have very easygoing teenagers, we did not! Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boris, For me its a bit easier: 3 boys aged 13, 10 and near 6. Whatever we get is handed down as long unless it is beyond busted. A loft full of skis and a cupboard full of boots. Various pedigrees, some skis previously used by my wife but now for the 13 yr old, others ex-hire, some ebay and some S&R buy back. It is fairly simple to size ski boots for kids but the main issue is binding compatibility. There are 2 types of ski boot-binding interface for kids and size won't necessarily let you know what's what. Mind you for 14 yr olds not an issue. Then there's telemark gear for kids…..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm - ok thanks all

I may just stick with hiring for now as it is the least hassle option - can revisit in a few years when feet have hopefully stopped growing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boris, And by then they may be able to buy their own! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy