Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Softshell in February?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

I've been skiing for the past 3 years in the three valleys in March and last year found a Helly Hansen base layer and a Columbia soft shell jacket just right for me (temperature wise). Sometimes unzipping the jacket - I run hot.

However I'm heading out the second week in February this year as well and a bit concerned that that setup might be a bit light. I'm guessing it few will be a good few degrees colder.

Trouble is, there's not enough room for under the soft shell for another cheap mid layer (I guess that's what the soft shell is designed to be anyway).

Can anyone recommend a decent outer shell that would give me a bit more protection against the elements without me overheating? Ideally in the £100-£150 range.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or put a cheap, thin larger soft shell over it if it is colder, if temps stay the same you will be fine and richer Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 31-01-15 16:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or a decent thermal base layer next to your skin? Not clear if you are already wearing a base layer and/or mid layer? Or you can pick up some pretty good insulated ski jackets, have a look at Trekwear.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Double up your base layer, I've used two when it's not cold enough for a fleece on top, but too cold for just a one merino base layer on it's own.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a few merino baselayers already but supplement them with these last week. Like you, I tend to run hot but 4 months on the "Fast Diet a.k.a. 5+2" has see me shed 3 stone so I don't run quite as hot as before.

This is standard merino baselayer that is actually 80% merino and 20% polyester.

While this one is advertised as a thicker baselayer, again it is 80/20.

Last week at a bitterly cold Glenshee I had a standard merino as a base and then the thicker one above as my mid-layer. I also had my Columbia 3-in-1 jacket on. I was nice and warm all day without being too hot.

Is the softshell waterproof? I would have though that would be your biggest issue with skiing in February.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can't beat Patagonia for a soft shell .They have the simple guide hoody for £120 or the Adze for £140.There are some on sale in their web special section on their online shop.I have an adze and have worn it in really cold snowy conditions with a couple of layers underneath and it performs really well.you can pay a bit more and get a more insulated one as well .Absolutely rock solid quality.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Designer156 wrote:
Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a decent outer shell that would give me a bit more protection against the elements without me overheating? Ideally in the £100-£150 range.

In February precipitaion is likely to fall as snow rather than rain, so one option would be an outer shell made of Primaloft (or similar) rather than a waterproof breathable fabric.

A further advantage of a Primaloft (or similar) shell is that you could wear it instead of the softshell on in-between days, and over the softshell on the very coldest days.

The Mammut Rime Pro or Mountain Equipment Fitzroy are examples of the kind of jacket I'm talking about. They should be available in your price range with a bit of shopping around.

EDIT - Of the two jackets, I'd choose the ME Fitzroy, because it has wider sleeves which make it more suitable for wearing over a softshell.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 1-02-15 22:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Double up your base layer

Good shout, actually. Thanks for that.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

"Fast Diet a.k.a. 5+2" has see me shed 3 stone

Yeah a few extra stone doesn't help my temp either.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is what I wore last March with a base layer underneath and it was fine.

But think I may need a little more for Feb (next week).

Maybe additional base layers as suggested. Maybe a waterproof outer. Maybe a 'better' softshell.

Had been eyeing up one of these (ARCTERYX Epsilon LT Hoody), but not sure if I'd still have the same issue.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Designer156 wrote:
Maybe a 'better' softshell.

Had been eyeing up one of these (ARCTERYX Epsilon LT Hoody), but not sure if I'd still have the same issue.

Softshell is quite a confusing term - not all softshells are the same. The Arcteryx shell you've linked to has a woven shell with a fleece lining. It doesn't have a membrane layer in it, but it is fairly windproof because the outerfabric is tightly woven.

I'm not familiar with the Columbia softshell you have, but I would take an educated guess that it has a membrane layer between the outer fabric and the inner fleecy lining. If I'm right your Columbia jacket will be made of a fabric that is warmer but less breathable than the fabric that the Arcteryx jacket is made from.

A big downside of softshells with a membrane layer is that if you layer them under a waterproof shell, you have two membrane layers for sweat to negotiate before escaping to the outside. I'm not saying you can't dress that way, but as you say you run hot I thought it was worth mentioning.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy