Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To PTEX or not to PTEX, that is the question...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, we were away in Val a couple of weeks ago and I managed to pickup a couple of respectable gouges on the underside of the board, when dodging rocks failed... They're nowhere near having shot the core or anything, but they're a good enough depth to snag your finger. As I'm a noob when it comes to DIYing bases, when does a gouge warrant a ptex repair over just gobbing on the wax?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just did the same in Tignes yesterday on the pebbles! I'll fix mine with a little ptex when I get home. We only had a few lifts opening late here today looked Val was similar.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Richard_Sideways, if it's near the edge defiantly do it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I expect it depends on if you are wanting to win races or not.

I have had gouges near the edges that I could feel - and I suppose that could upset my skiing and cause an accident. Or just make turning a little harder so I get more tired and enjoy the skiing less.

I have noticed small burrs (not gouges into the metal - but metal sticking out of the side of the edge) can make a ski behave oddly. Easy to take off with a diamond file on the balcony. (dipped in water/melted snow)

My experience with p-tex is : Don't bother with the candles unless you have a massive hole at the beginning of the trip. It always either falls out or wears away rapidly. I have tried several types in black and white.

When I get home, I will do a through repair, cutting back and down, possibly with a layer of araldite (repaired a deformed edge & sidewall that two repair places in the mountains said was beyond recovery) or the other glue stuff available from the Piste Office...and then melt in ptex repair strip with my temperature controlled soldering iron.

FIle, scrape, texture, wax and they last.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try not to base grind. A grind will take of loads of thickness, making the base look like new and possibly a bit faster if you are racing, but just shortens your ski life.
I also have a couple of coarse files, the afore mentioned diamond file and a file holder. I also use an old cloths iron for the wax.

I make a mess in the kitchen. but it dosn't take long.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For me, it depends on a) if it's a gouge or a scratch and b) how much time I have! And as @jbob says if it's near the edge then b) doesn't apply. Because ripping out an edge costs a lot more than 10 minutes of my time in the garage Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The ptex pistol from the Piste Office is great for these repairs. Anyway, gauges add character to skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The ptex pistol from the Piste Office is great for these repairs.

I'll be trying mine out tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarpa, yeah, instrumentation on skis...gauges for speed, surface loading, temperature (one for base and one for binding grease)

They could all be implemented as full colour OLED displays in the topsheet just behind the tip and ....

Oh. Gouges.

I was getting quite excited there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unless you're filling a gouge just into ptex, ie not by exposed base or edge you need to fill the repair with metal grip first as it will bond to base/edge material unlike ptex which won't.....
Then fill as normal with your choice of ptex, the gun from Pisteoffice is ideal for this......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lampbus, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all. @lampbus, thanks for the concept, but I'll leave the 'pimp my snowboard' stuff to the Signal snowboard guys and their 'Every Third Thursday' segments.
When I get some time, I'll sit there and stare at the thing zen-like for half an hour, then go and have a cuppa and a biscuit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy