Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video - critique please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I've seen some other videos on here and thought I'd join in, in the hope someone can give me advice and pointers?
Don't feel like you have to watch the whole lot! I'm sure the first 30 seconds will be enough.

I always feel like my legs are too far apart, and watching this, my legs look in a A shape, with knees together. When it gets steep, I tend to squat down quite a bit. From reading on here, I think I ski 'from the back seat'
(I get a lot of thigh burn), and am hoping to rectify that this time.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

http://youtube.com/v/vTncEzXtV6k&feature=youtu.be
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to set the privacy settings of the video so we can see it. Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
whoops!! I think I've changed it
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gloggle, yeah I can see it now. Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @Gloggle,

Your skiing looks nice and confident with rhythmical turns.

Yes the stance is a little wide/A-Frame because the inside leg is supporting weight during the turn. The weight should be transferring more to the outside ski, leaving the inside ski with much less weight. The weight transfer should happen as a result of effective steering rather than you actually forcing the weight transfer from ski to ski.

Ideally you want your skis hip-width apart and then as your hip moves inside during the turn you should trust that the outside ski will grip and take more of the weight instead of leaving weight on the inside ski.
If that happens then your shins will be parallel and the body nicely angulated.

Also you should bend more at the waist so that your shoulders are more over your knees instead of bending so much at the knees (also move your hands forward). After that you will be nicely stacked and that should help to avoid the sore thighs.

Lastly, think about turning your legs first before the upper body, so that your upper body (hips/shoulders/hands) end up pointing more outside of the turn as you are finishing each turn (i.e. skis turn before upper body).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gloggle, Welcome to snowheads snowHead
Looks very smooth and in control, with good balance. I think at your intermediate level, lessons would do you alot of good and really improve your performance to advanced quite quickly.
I suspect you have a natural A frame to your legs (men sometimes bow-legged), so a pro (which I'm not) will be better able to advise on stance.
Good tips from @born2ski. Perhaps try a pole window drill with shoulders facing down the hill? ....or watch this...

http://youtube.com/v/l5gnnZXoDK0
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ALQ wrote:
Perhaps try a pole window drill with shoulders facing down the hill?

Yes, the pole window drill sounds like a good idea to work on the separation.

You could also try touching the outside knee with both hands towards the end of the turn, although that drill is more to get the feeling of where the upper body should end up , since we shouldn't be forcing the upper body there. The upper body should end up there because the skis have turned under the upper body.

Hockey stops are another good drill to get the feeling of the legs turning first as long as you ensure that the hips/upper body end up pointing downhill. Start with both skis pointing down the fall line then only turn the legs within the hip joint to come to a stop. The hips should not turn with the skis. After stopping, an indicator of the hips pointing downhill is if there is a reasonable amount of tip lead of the uphill ski. The uphill tip should be a decent amount further forward than the downhill ski tip. If the upper and lower tips are in line with each other then you have turned your hips with the skis (i.e. no separation).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All looks ok just a few tweaks with the swing try the pole exercises as previously mentioned they did it for me at that level.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's brilliant, thanks so much for the feedback.

I'll look up the drills, I've not heard of them,and give that a go.

I think I need to look at having a bit of tuition soon...just want to save up for a private lesson!

You've all been really helpful. I'll keep this and read the tips again just before I go. One week til skiing!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My view - You are right, you do ski 'from the back seat'. This means that your legs are completely rigid, and you get tired very quickly, from then on in it is self perpetuating and gets harder and harder to ski well. Its a common skiing position.

The way I explain people to get out of this is to think about bending at the ankle. Not 'bend the knees!', which in many instances ends up with people bending their knees, moving the pelvis backwards Put your ski boots on in the lounge. Feet flat, 1ft or so apart. Stand up straight and look ahead, then just relax your whole body. Almost like a sullen teenager. This should put you shins against the front of the boots, the ankles will flex forward, the knees naturally come forward and the pelvis should roughly be in line slightly forward of the ankles. Get this leg position correct, then bring the arms forward (like the guy in the Orange jackect)

Its difficult to get the position right without being able to see the person, but it brings the weight forward, and supports your weight through the boots, and is the correct skiing position, its all the bloke in the orange jacket is doing above Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 2-02-15 23:31; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sorry I dont know how to edit.... should say flex at the ankle. Bending is wrong, and makes people 'bend from the pelvis'

Just watched the guy in the orange jacket. His leg position is good to start with, he is only fine tuning the upper body.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks I'll pay attention to that. Two days til I go!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy