Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polar Buff - worth the £25?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I'd like one of these, but they aren't cheap so I want to make sure I'm not wasting money for the brand.

Are they worth it, or is there something out there which does the same job for half the price?

I have tried plain old fleece snoods before but get frustrated as I can't breathe through them easily so that's the appeal of the Buff.

Anyone want to throw in their two cents worth?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got two Buffs (polar and normal thin one, ?called original). I've had them for years and also use for dog walking etc. Not sure I have exactly tried all the different 'modes' but they are flexible and useful! But, now lots of companies make them so I'm sure you could pick one up for less money. They were only mentioned this morning on another thread Toofy Grin

I like the fact that you can pull the thin fabric up onto your face (and still breathe) while fleece stays on your neck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JanieS, depends if you've already got stuff that will do the job. I have a polar buff but only use it on really cold days (not most ski days for me). I got the polar buff before the ordinary one but generally use the ordinary one most of the time now. If you have an ordinary buff and a fleece snood then you could just combine the two, you don't have to bring the snood bit over your face, just the buff bit. If you don't have any kind of buff I'd get one but probably just an ordinary one rather than a polar one as that's more flexible across weather changes/use outside skiing. For sure there are other companies doing similar things, I doubt it's necessary to pay for the brand name.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
places like T K Maxx and Sports Direct often sell them at quite a discount
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or Aldi/Lidl have cheap imitations a few times a year which work almost as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You want one of these (available here only £6.75):

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buffs are so over priced, but my favourite piece of kit. Mine's about 10 years old but still going strong.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah @musher, I have just followed @pam w, advise and looked at Sports Direct and they are indeed cheaper - I got a reversible polar one for about £17 (or £19 - forgotten already!).

I don't feel confident bragging as a Snowhead when I can't ski yet! Do you really want people seeing me wearing that as I tumble down the nursery slope? Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 30-01-15 17:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JanieS, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also if you get a cheap buff, you can cut/butcher a hole into it - this means you breathe through the hole while the rest keeps your face warm. Condensation is the major issue when it is really cold, gets into the material and then freezes.

If you need to spend £20 I've found the Airhole Masks to be a warmer version of the butchered lightweight buff, only really necessary for -10 and beyond but it is the warmest option I've found.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JanieS, you owe it to yourself. The from moment you buy it, you will never think about the price again.
It's my top piece of kit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bought a cheap fleece scarf for a couple of quid, cut it in half, sewed the ends together, cut a small hole to be by the end of my nose once I pulled it on -voila !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my husband lost his polar buff the other day and tore the house apart looking for it. He wears it every day in the winter. (we have a cold house and he works from home)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy