Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Formula for last minute deal

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd welcome the collective knowledge of Snowheads on how to get a good last minute deal.

I'm hoping to go away for a week towards the end of Feb/early March and am flexible on dates.

If you're looking to get a really good deal, how late should you leave it? Does anyone know of a particular tour operator or accommodation that sorted them out with a good deal.

I'll go anywhere there's snow and lifts spinning!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See extensive comments by myself and others here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2663404
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'll go anywhere there's snow and lifts spinning!

that's the right attitude. I got three good last minute deals in the days when I did TO trips. One 48 hours before departure, the others nearer a week (for those we arranged our own travel, once driving, once by train).

If those dates are firm, might be best to avoid France especially in the second half of February, which will be Paris holidays. If you do the week beginning 7 March the French resorts will be a lot quieter. Won't make much difference to UK TO prices but far nicer - and ski lessons will be cheaper, if that's relevant.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the very worst, last minute means in the week before travelling. At best, it means the Thursday or Friday before leaving on Saturday. To get those deals you have to:

- Be massively flexible about where you're going.
- Be in a small group of people, party of 2 is ideal.
- Contact a travel agent or tour operator directly over the phone. Web deals are ok but nothing like the deals that you can get by speaking to them direct.
- Play hard ball and haggle. Particularly when dealing with the TO/travel agent direct, there are big reductions to be had on Thursday or Friday. Don't be afraid to just make a low offer, if it gets rejected who cares?

As Pam says, early March is better than late Feb. If you can do mid to late March that is better still.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dav wrote:
At the very worst, last minute means in the week before travelling. At best, it means the Thursday or Friday before leaving on Saturday. To get those deals you have to:

- Be massively flexible about where you're going.
- Be in a small group of people, party of 2 is ideal.
- Contact a travel agent or tour operator directly over the phone. Web deals are ok but nothing like the deals that you can get by speaking to them direct.
- Play hard ball and haggle. Particularly when dealing with the TO/travel agent direct, there are big reductions to be had on Thursday or Friday. Don't be afraid to just make a low offer, if it gets rejected who cares?

As Pam says, early March is better than late Feb. If you can do mid to late March that is better still.

I'm all for trying this but may get outvoted by the other 3 in the team. Need a 2 bedroom apartment for 4 nights from Friday 6/3. Only downside is flights to GVA already booked.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Need a 2 bedroom apartment for 4 nights from Friday 6/3. Only downside is flights to GVA already booked.

Ah, well, that does make a huge difference. Booking just an apartment (there are loads of links on resort websites) you are very unlikely to get a "last minute reduction" - the price is the price, and if you want a non-standard period (as you do) there's little mileage in trying to haggle. So if you find something suitable I'd grab it now.

That Friday night will be the problem (talking France here) as it's the last night of the busy French school holidays. The following week you will certainly get something but quite likely to have to pay for a whole week, even though you're only using half of it.

But there are some owners who do flexible times (Hells Bells is one of them).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

That Friday night will be the problem

Tell me about it @pam w, . Some ar$e wanted cheap flights without considering the whole deal rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, what Pam said. Late deals are pretty much all the TOs trying to offload their last remaining package deals. And with non-standard dates like that you've got a job to just get something, most owners look for a full week booking in season, typically Saturday to Saturday or Sunday to Sunday. Hotels may be the better bet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was a discussion recently about a "valley" hotel, and there is what looks like a really nice place in Sallanches. http://www.orangeriemontblanc.com/

Armed with a car there is lots of top skiing within an easy commute. Chamonix, Grand Massif, Combloux, Megeve, St Gervais, Les Contamines......
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy