Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New blood

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all. New to skiing and to the snowheads forums.

Over the past month I've had my first ski lesson at Snozone, booked my first ski holiday, and spent £££'s (I don't want to add it all up) on ski gear.

I'm happy with all my gear except for my gloves. They're a £12 pair of Nevica gloves from sports direct that were marked 3000mm waterproof. After my all day ski lesson they were soaked, and remained soaked for hours afterwards.

I've been looking at these today -

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/1233546/products/dakine_2015_frontier_ski_and_snowboard_glove_black_birch.aspx

They're gore-tex so I believe should stay reasonably dry. But I don't know how warm they're likely to be. I would prefer to try them on but time is against me. My ski holiday is in Courchevel in a week or so's time, to give you an idea of temperatures.

Any advice on these gloves or suitable alternatives would be great!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JonSnow, They'll do nicely.

(ps I can't believe you've snagged that cool username after all these years!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JonSnow wrote:
But I don't know how warm they're likely to be.

You know nothing, JonSnow.

Sorry, couldn't resist wink

Someone who owns the Dakine gloves will probably be along with a helpful response.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Red! Appreciate the advice.

Haha, it was the first thing that came into my head! And I do know nothing...!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ha, beat me to it Zero G! Laughing

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wondering how warm they will be it says they will keep you dry on warmer days.

Maybe look at Dakine web site for more info.

Could be very cold this time of year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers swish tony (buying gloves is a lot like making love to a beautiful woman...)
I looked on their site and couldn't find the gloves on there. And no info about warmth or anything helpful either.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JonSnow, haha, so true. I would love to elaborate on that comment but might not be appropriate on this forum! The innuendo possibilities are many....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zero_G wrote:
JonSnow wrote:
But I don't know how warm they're likely to be.

You know nothing, JonSnow.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swishtony indeed! Don't want to get banned after one post...

I can't find any information anywhere about Dakine's rating system. It just says - "Insulation: High loft synthetic [ Glove 210 / 280g ]"

Googling has told me that the high loft synthetic is decent stuff but still no clue on the numbers. Tried comparing to the other numbers on Dakine gloves and I still can't fathom it.

Unless anyone who has a pair of these comes along and says otherwise I'll probably go with Red and just give them a go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JonSnow, How are your current gloves getting wet ? Snow or sweat ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi rjs.

It's hard to say to be honest. I crashed (what's the ski term for this? Wiped out?) two or three times once I got onto the main slope after my lessons, so I'd be tempted to say snow over sweat.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will any gloves keep you warm skiing north of the wall when winter is coming Toofy Grin

Check out your local T.K.Max some branches still have some Reusch gloves in stock plus a few other makes. Also dependant on your glove size might be worth checking out Sealskinz uk website.

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/outlet?outlet=gloves

At £12 a pair and free delivery on orders over £35 if any are the right size even if not warm enough for the holiday they would be fine for use in the fridge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JonSnow, Pick up some silk inner gloves to help with heat retention.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haha, nothing can protect you north of the wall!

Cheers for the suggestions. Inner gloves a great idea. I already have some thin inner gloves that I use on my motorbike that I stupidly hadn't even considered for skiing!
ski holidays
@JonSnow,

I use the Sealskinz lighter weight motorbike gloves now for skiing in the UK. They are not warm enough for really cold days but fine for use in a fridge so maybe the full winter bike gloves may work well for you.
latest report
@JonSnow, We use Racer.at waterproof motorcycle gloves when it's not too cold, they're brilliant.
snow conditions
Top tips! And I can use the waterproof motorcycle gloves when I'm not skiing too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy