Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmegeddon 2

Poster: A snowHead
@igLou, yes, the thing is, it was snowy, and not fully ploughed, so passing room was limited and the surface was pretty slippery. M 73 would have had to overtake downhill at speed, given the short sight distances, and presumably lacked some of the suicidal instincts occasionally seen in local drivers. They're not all nutters....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah. What you need is a Subaru. Lots of them in Switzerland. If you have one, you can (i) see through fog, (ii) see round bends, (iii) drive as fast as you like whatever the conditions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely 2-3 inches of fresh snow here, most roads are fine but many roads in the dales have been shut.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slushy snow lying here in lowly Warrington. Woodhead and Snake passes are closed.

Some of my skiing pals are driving to Realp (near Andermatt) this w/e for an Eagles offpiste week. Best of luck guys!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
off to bozel on sunday and landing in chambery. I shall be packing snacks!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pamski wrote:
I am expecting 7 members of our family here this weekend as a big surprise for OH and his big birthday on Sunday. One arriving Friday morning from USA and the other 6 (one only 7 weeks old) about 4 pm into Geneva so fingers crossed that they get here ok - my nerves are a bit strained, and not helped by OH talking about how he hopes they are all ok back in Surrey!! Good luck to all the travellers.

Does Geneva airport usually stay open?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ringingmaster, I've only known one major problem at Geneva, when there was a fair bit (around 8 inches) of snow, which isn't common. Lots of flights cancelled. It's about the most reliable airport around IME though there were some problems with baggage handlers a year or so ago.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the late BA flight out to Geneva tonight. Picking up hire car at 10.30 pm and then drive to Zermatt. It all seemed such a good idea last July when we were planning it. Back last plane Monday so we only take two days off work.

Watching the radar on Landi is filling me with dread. I guess if should be OK on the motorway round Lake Geneva. Then at least up the Rhone valley to Sierre/Siders it is still motorway. The 20 mile bit from there to Visp is no longer motorway – but at least it is still relatively low. It is the final 20 mile up the Visp valley to Täsch which is going to be “interesting”. I did practice putting snow chains on yesterday. But putting my own snow chains on my own car in the light on my dry drive might be a little different to what it’ll be like come 1 or 2 o’clock in the morning. At least I know that road very well and have done it plenty of times.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best of luck, @JohnMo. Make sure you've got a big black bag to put the chains in when they come off. And your car will have winter tyres - you might not need them. Check the rental car has chains and that they're the right size (friends of mine had to buy chains in resort, though they did get the cost reimbursed from Europcar).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JohnMo, Geneva Airport are forecasting rain until just after midnight and then sleet - snow showers not forecast until 5 in the morning. You will almost certainly have snow tyres on your renter (if its from the Swiss side). As this snow has been expected I trust the local ploughs will be out all night.

Looking at the forecast for tomorrow Geneva may have the odd delay but they are only forecasting snow showers temporarily for the day. there may be some delays for slots and de-icing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was out last night practising with my chains for a drive up to Leukerbad on Friday evening. Forecast on the way seems to vary between rainy, sleety and snowy depending on what site I read, hoping for the former for most the route along the Lake Geneva autoroute and through the Valais.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

This is the closest my son is getting to the snow today - out on the terrace with a beer and roll-up. Though he hasn't ruled out a powder day tomorrow, when the snow will be even deeper.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, tsk - rule 5
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnMo, have you got a head torch you can take with you or acquire one at the airport as that makes it easier putting on chains.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ringingmaster, hopefully it will be open - it was a few years ago that it closed on somewhere around the Saturday of the weekend before Christmas and that was a bit chaotic.
ski holidays
Been snowing in Champagny since around midnight but the roads are still clear.
Our guests due in today have just arrived from Paris by car so they seem to be keeping things clear in France.
I would expect the mountain roads to be a bit more tricky tonight as the snow is forecast to become heavy later on.

The skiing has been pretty good as well. Very Happy
snow report
Its started, Chains required.This the main road to Montalbert about 5 k up from Aime at 3 pm

This road is always kept clear as it is the only road to/from Montalbert, snow falling faster than the ploughs can keep up!

For those that know the route this was taken on the straight below Longefoy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 29-01-15 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Chains required.

Nah. I've just been up and down to Alpe d'Huez in worse than that, never even thought about chains.

Mind you, I do actually have some for a change, a first in all the time I've been here. They'll probably still be in the box when I eventually come to sell the van. Laughing
snow conditions
Lizzard, You are capable the Dustbin lorry driver that slid off the N90 this afternoon obviously wasn't wink
latest report
A bus went off in St Jean D this afternoon on the flat and apparently clearish bit by Carrefour.

Husband said Thonon route to Morzine was clear this evening and there was rain not snow. I am hoping this situation stays unchanged as I really cant be bothered with the whole snow survival/ chain fitting etc in my nice new work dress.
ski holidays
75cm fresh in Chamonix and still snowing... snowHead
ski holidays
Hmmm, hubbie flying into Geneva tomorrow night for long weekend in Chamonix...place your bets on whether they make it Toofy Grin they do have snowchains, and helmets Neh Neh
snow report
My flight to Geneva the other day was fine but I nearly missed the transfer bus because the luggage was delayed. So much for Swiss Efficiency.
ski holidays
Quote:

they do have snowchains, and helmets

and crisps I hope!
snow conditions
Very snowy roads on our way back from Chantemerle about 10.30 last night. I didn't need the chains but others were putting them on. Lot of snow since them but ploughs are out.
ski holidays
Quote:

hubbie flying into Geneva tomorrow night for long weekend in Chamonix...place your bets on whether they make it

they'll make it. Place your bets on whether there are any lifts open....
snow report
Geneva itself is pretty good. We've missed quite a few winter flights out though as the UK end has been caught out by a little weather.
snow conditions
We (hopefully) fly into Geneva at 9:10 tonight. Concerned about the airport, and the roads upto Sixt. But what will be will be.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Geneva is forecasting light snow showers all day (and night) with a 40% chance of a snow showers and 30% chance of heavy snow showers. Given the almost freezing temperature at the moment that may lead to some delays for aircraft de-icing and if the heavy showers materialise then there may be delayed take offs at either end or some going round in circles waiting for the runway to be de-iced. The visibility will also be reduced in the heavy showers to the point when flow rates may be reduced if low visibility procedures are enforced..
snow conditions
This morning most departures seemed to be around half an hour late from Geneva.
snow conditions
Looking out thw window it is snowing lightly but not settling at the moment ( Observed near UEFA headquarters - 15KM east of GVA airport)
snow report
@WindOfChange, you must be near me in Nyon????
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, likewise
snow conditions
Elder son arrived on time at GVA at 10 and was on a transfer with Alpybus, having picked up luggage, by 10.40 and in Les Gets before 12. Hope that the rest of the party arrive on time too later this afternoon.
ski holidays
@Witters , @Under_a_new_name.
Yes, that is the grim reality, after a few years of living the dream ( scraping a living up in the PdS) I now have to rent out my services to my Swiss masters from Mon-Fri.
Stll, only 4 hours of ahem.. hard graft (surfing the internet) until I head back up the hills ! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Wow, looking at the forecast it may snow heavily this evening but even more heavily all day Sunday, it's going to be an interesting transfer day tomorrow...
latest report
ringingmaster wrote:

Does Geneva airport usually stay open?
Geneva airport has a heated runway Cool
snow report
It actually doesn't take much snow seriously to disrupt Geneva - but thankfully they don't often get much snow.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, @Whitters, @under a new name, hmmm my daughter lives just above Nyon.
latest report
just been texting with younger son who is in a transfer bus from GVA to Les Gets - they had been at the border around 5 and its now nearly 7 so granny getting a little twitched here - more so really having to make small talk with OH who I am sure is picking up the vibes as I hop up and down every time I hear something large going up the road. Only getting yes/no replies from my enquiries - and the last one I asked was 'are the roads bad?' - and 'yup' was the reply. Youngest out of the six of them is only 7 weeks old today... well at least she has her mother to feed her.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy