Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where do you get your late deals?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Hoping to book a late deal with a friend in February (not half-term week). France or Austria. Somewhere with good snow and lots of pistes.

Just wondering where you recommend for late deals?

One awkward issue: He is travelling from Dublin, and I am travelling from London.

Merci, Thankews.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Best to wait until about three weeks beforehand as there will be plenty of availability outside of half term.
Mayrhofen in Austria a good bet. Snowsure and big ski area with decent après ski. If you want the full on après ski scene, Ischgl also fits the bill and always lots of snow.

The Dublin- London thing should not be an issue but probably means you need to book via Crystal who operate from both. Neilson, Thompsons and Inghams no longer operate from Dublin.
They should be able to put you in same hotel/chalet if you're travelling on same day. Will need to talk directly to an agent where departure point is different as their online system can't facilitate this type of booking (or at least it didn't do a few years ago).

Alternatively, book flights to Munich, Salzburg or Geneva and meet up there, booking your own transfers and accommodation. Not sure if there are direct flights from Dublin to Lyon or Chambery.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 29-01-15 10:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply Paul100.

Looking into a few options now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gaffmaster, when I did a couple of late deals (but a few days before, not 3 weeks) it was through the tour operators own website.

Be aware that the French half term is 4 weeks from this Saturday (7 Feb - 7 March) and the Paris weeks are 14 - 28 February and it'd be particularly good to avoid French resorts that week. If you want to go to France, the week beginning 7 March would be better, unless you specially like busy pistes and lift queues. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gaffmaster,

1. Late package deals are going to be set up for 2 people sharing room and travelling on the same flight, your set-up with different departure airports is unlikely to fit, unless you follow Paul100's suggestion of Crystal. The other option would be for your mate to get a flight to UK from Dublin. Cheap deals are usually Gatwick or Manchester. DIY is the other option.

2. Late means just days, not weeks, before departure for the biggest discounts, I aim for 50% off brochure price, you need complete flexibility for this, but there may be worthwhile discounts around now if you want to sort it sooner.

3. Feb is High Season, there will be less late availability than low season like Early Jan or late Mar, so if you see something tasty, book it. Bear in mind Pam's advice re French resorts rammed from 7 Feb- 7 Mar, Italy & Austria outside half-term week will be quieter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @gaffmaster,

Have you thought about doing the flights and transfers yourselves?

Flying from Dublin and London you should be able to get flights which arrive into eg Geneva at the same sort of time, and then travel onto resort together.

We still have February availability (details via the link below) in the Paradiski area and I'm sure there are many other companies with spaces too.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Tried Crystal but they didn't seem particularly helpful and their deals weren't anything special either.

So, now I think we're looking at booking flights for 28 Feb - 7 Mar. Then we'll see what we can get closer to the date. I realise this is at the tail end of the school holidays but I'm hoping most will be done by then. Am I delusional in thinking that?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Am I delusional in thinking that?

No - the final week of the holiday will be less frantic than the others. BUT - if you were to book your flights for the following weeks there would be a dramatic drop in the cost of DIY accommodation in France, whether apartments or hotels.

I imagine TOs are very cagey about reductions at the moment, given that much of the French Alps and Austria is being deluged in snow after a poor start to the season - they will be hoping for a big rush of full price bookings.

Last minute deals are 48 hours before departure, not several weeks. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Directski fly from Dublin and Gatwick to Andorra and Austria. Have used them once and would recommend and use again at the right price
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy