Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Position of skier, comparison - evaluation?

Poster: A snowHead
I am clueless when it comes to what 'tools' may be possible on computers but I wondered if there was one that you could impose your own video over, and the computer would superimpose the correct angles/positions etc?

Does that make sense?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It makes sense but it doesn't exist AFAIK. It would be a very hard problem to take someones video, identify the skier in it, identify their posture problems and then simulate the correct posture.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CaravanSkier, that sort of tool is called a ski instructor. wink

I find it instructive to watch skiers with an instructor, from a chair lift. Compare all the angles and try to "think" yourself into the instructor's angles. Usually a lot more ankle bend (though some of that is down to boots the rest of us couldn't cope with at all), more vertical femur, more upright torso (this is all assuming easy slope) and probably arms held lightly out in front.

And never, ever, do they have their nice tight little bum sticking out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i doubt it for a "general" video, the computer would need to be able to extrapolate info like snow conditions, angle of slope, etc etc?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can see something like it being possible, but you'd probably be best to use something like those ski travelators with a fixed camera and reference points marked on the knees, elbows, head etc. If they can create believable CGI of a person running and falling over, I am pretty sure they could get a good idea of skiing like that.

The next question is how you decide what good looks like, presumably by getting a very good skier to do the same and the computer telling you when you are not within X range of a good skier doing the same thing. I imagine the computer could get quite good at picking obvious problems, backseat skiing (the references at ankles being too far forward vs knees/hips/chest) and similar, though given the cost of a machine to do it I suspect that hiring an instructor for the same amount of time would be cheaper.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not quite what you want as it looks like you need to do a lot of the analysis yourself, but the elate media ski app is advertising something like this in terms of body position:

http://www.skischoolapp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia

Obviously no substitute for an actual instructor, but I find their youtube clips helpful. Never used the app myself though.

(I am shocked he is bald).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pynch wrote:

All the best instructors are bald or nearly Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer wrote:
Pynch wrote:

Rubbish.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pfwooarrrrrrr!!!

but pound to a penny she's very nearly bald Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
she may not be bald but I bet she's chilly
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
@CaravanSkier, that sort of tool is called a ski instructor.

It made me chuckle , out of context.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
Pynch wrote:

Rubbish.

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/leute/der-skilehrerinnen-kalender-2009-bid-1.1944087 here are 11 others, non of them bald.

Something for everyone , not just the men.

Look at the muff on number 6.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@blahblahblah, Laughing

The question occurred to me because a number of people have posted videos on here and asked for evaluations! Maybe one day?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
Pynch wrote:

Rubbish.
apart from those with hair
wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
@CaravanSkier, that sort of tool is called a ski instructor. wink

I find it instructive to watch skiers with an instructor, from a chair lift. Compare all the angles and try to "think" yourself into the instructor's angles. Usually a lot more ankle bend (though some of that is down to boots the rest of us couldn't cope with at all), more vertical femur, more upright torso (this is all assuming easy slope) and probably arms held lightly out in front.

And never, ever, do they have their nice tight little bum sticking out.

Having your hips/pelvis in the right position will basically sort out a lot of issues - pretending you're trying to hold a 50p bit in your bumcheeks is a simple way of thinking about it.
ski holidays
Mistress Panda wrote:
I can see something like it being possible, but you'd probably be best to use something like those ski travelators with a fixed camera and reference points marked on the knees, elbows, head etc. If they can create believable CGI of a person running and falling over, I am pretty sure they could get a good idea of skiing like that.

Well if they use the same tech as in the hobbit films even if they can't help your skiing they can make you look like a Troll.

But why anyone would want to look like DG escapes me wink
snow report
Looks like this could do (part of) the trick:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31059896
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy