Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not mountain lurgy(other thread) but other mountain afflictions.

Poster: A snowHead
It is not just me, but my family and friends suffer the same symptoms. When I am in a high resort I always get giant sticky bogeys with a bit of blood in them and my (sorry about this) poos are always kind of aerated, like someone has played a trick on be with a compressed air line. Excess flatulence as well. Any ideas why?

(typo edit)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 28-01-15 9:21; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sequoiaboard, yes to bogeys (sorry Embarassed ), no to poo and flatulence is down to beer and rich food
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never noticed anything like that... honest wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suffer from "Mountain leaving syndrome" it happens usually the night before I'm going to leave the mountains, I feel sad and don't want to leave. My 5yo gets the same issues, we then get back home and feel bad for weeks on end, only curing it temporarily with trips to mount hemel, and praying that a dump will happen in the mountains of Welwyn garden city in the hope of making turns on real snow on the dry ski slope. I have applied a temporary remedy by booking flights to geneva in march, but the doctor (wife) says that is my last trip this year, I'm not sure what I'll do before the next season arrives and my affliction can be cured again Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bogeys = dry air I believe....fill bath/sink with water before bed time to add moisture to the air ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm still trying to work out what a "stick bogey" is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have always attributed the slight nose-bleeds to low pressure. As I understand it, the nose is a sort of "fuse" for the circulation system and the difference between your normal blood pressure and the outside world causes bleeds. In my case, at least, this tends to block my nose at night and makes me snore. There is absolutely no connection with consumption of chalet wine. Honest.

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I get some spectacular nose bleeds due to a dodgy blood vessel caused by much rearranging of my nose during rugby my playing days. I always carry a tube of Naseptin when I go skiing.

No to the aerated poo.

What is this "flatulence" that you speak of Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suffer from powder fever when it snows and drunk when it doesn't
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I generally suffer from a massively increased appetite and my salopettes always seem to shrink during the week
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Normally get shin baldness.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sequoiaboard, I'd just got rid of the nasty thick blood stained bogeys when the real mountain lurgy hit me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Chris Bish, +1 for the nosebleeds. I used to suffer with them anyway as a young person, but these days they just seem to be a curse that follows me down World Cup black runs, having left a trail of blood on the Sasslong and the Gran Risa on two separate holidays Shocked I don't drink red wine, so I'll have to put it down to my speedy loss of altitude Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
headaches ever morning and feeling horny every evening
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I feel at my healthiest on a skiing holiday, I eat properly, I sleep properly and I'm outside doing exercise (of sorts) all day. Compared with my usual life of sitting on my butt, grazing rather than eating proper meals, rarely seeing daylight and being lucky to get 4 hours sleep of a night, not to mention constant aches and pains.

If only the NHS could prescribe and fund season-long skiing holidays as treatment...
ski holidays
Fatigue and aches and pains in joints can be a sign of vit D deficiency.....
snow conditions
Ahhh sticky bogeys! I don't know about giant or sticky but my nose never stops running from the time I get onto the mountain until at least an hour after I get back down, requiring up to two packs of pocket tissues a day. And yes, I get the occasional nose bleed when skiing.

Two seasons ago, I tried something recommended by a crusty old mountain guide – coat the inside of my nose with Vaseline (applied with a cotton bud, I might add). This has, miraculously, reduced the enormous amount of snot my nose seemed to produce at altitude to a manageable three-tissue volume and eliminated the nosebleeds entirely.
snow report
bagginsmum wrote:

How the hell can anyone have vit D deficiency when exposed to all of that UV on a ski trip. If anything, the ski trip should reduce the deficiency and its symptoms.
ski holidays
Quote:

How the hell can anyone have vit D deficiency when exposed to all of that UV on a ski trip. If anything, the ski trip should reduce the deficiency and its symptoms.

Salopettes tick, jacket tick, gloves tick, boots tick, gloves tick, helmet tick, goggles tick, sun screen tick, vitamin d, you've got to be joking.
latest report
T Bar, I wear all of that except the helmet and my sunscreen is SPF 50, yet I still get a suntanned face and hands (taking gloves off to eat or whatever). You only need about 10 minutes of sun exposure a day to produce sufficient vit D. At altitude, with high UV, you need less than that.
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
T Bar, I wear all of that except the helmet and my sunscreen is SPF 50, yet I still get a suntanned face and hands (taking gloves off to eat or whatever). You only need about 10 minutes of sun exposure a day to produce sufficient vit D. At altitude, with high UV, you need less than that.

I suspect it is strongly dependant on the time of year I was listening to a talk the other day and they said that North of Birmingham in the winter months there is essentially no vit d produced.
I never get a tan skiing untill about mid feb at the earliest and I never bother with sunscreen.
latest report
I can believe that about Birmingham and even London, where I live, but they're at low altitude and we'd be lucky if a smidgen of UV managed to penetrate the smog Shocked
ski holidays
I don't need to be up a mountain to be afflicted by flatulence. And I don't drink beer or eat particularly rich food on a regular basis, either.
snow conditions
@Zero_G, my nose also turns into a tap in the mountains, or whenever I am outside in the cold, but your vaseline tip is certainly worth trying and would save me a fortune in tissues.
snow conditions
Zero_G wrote:
bagginsmum wrote:

You can't make vitamin D if sun exposed skin is covered in sunscreen. Contemporary advice is to have 10 to 15minutes unprotected (no sunscreen) exposure of your skin to sunlight each day. But NOT your face and not in the mountains
ski holidays
peanuthead, do hands count? I don't put sunscreen on my hands. If not, then I must be severely deficient because I certainly don't get sun exposure anywhere else during the season.
snow conditions
welshskier, I use quite a thick layer of Vaseline. Feels weird at first.
ski holidays
@Zero_G, thanks - found this online -" Could You Have Skier’s Nose?
Researchers have a name for a related syndrome linked to exercising outdoors in cold weather: Not surprisingly, it's called skier's nose. A 1991 study published in the journal Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology found that nearly 100 percent of skiers complained about runny noses while participating in their sport.

While a runny nose is annoying in just about any season, it's not harmful. And if you're worried that you'll get a cold from being out in the cold, don't fret. That's a common myth, but experts believe the reason colds are more common in the winter is because we spend more time indoors around other people, who transmit their cold viruses to us by sneezing and leaving germs on surfaces that we touch.

If you're really bothered by your winter runny nose, try taking an over-the-counter decongestant. The prescription nasal sprays Ru-Tuss and Atrovent have also been found to be effective at drying up drippy noses.

Then there's always mom's advice: Before you go out in the cold, cover your nose and mouth with a scarf. Air breathed through fabric will be warmer and moister, which can cut down on those annoying drips."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know someone who has been severely infected by a debilitating case of Faffitus, causing him to adjust and re-adjust various bits of kit nervously and waste valuable skiing time.
Its a shocking affliction and the only cure is to ski off.
snow conditions
@Kooky, they're usually boarders I've found
snow report
@Kooky, can't imagine who that might be... Laughing
latest report
Kooky, I feel a name change request to admin may be in order Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

a debilitating case of Faffitus

Laughing
snow report
@Zero_G, good question. I don't know. But I suspect surface area of dorsums of hands would mean amount of vit D you could make would be much less then e.g. if forearms exposed.
snow conditions
@Kooky, is that person a female?
latest report
@Kooky, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@peanuthead, not the last time I checked wink
latest report
Zero_G wrote:
bagginsmum wrote:

well, indeed, that was my point. People who work inside all the time during the winter months are at risk of Vit D deficiency. Of course a week of sun skiing will help remedy that. the OP said that they spent most of the winter working indoors
snow conditions
Quote:

Of course a week of sun skiing will help remedy that

not if you use sunscreen - Vit D deficiency seems a genuine problem
latest report
Vitamin D deficiency versus skin cancer, I know which I'd prefer...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy