Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot fitting - 'Standard' vs 'Custom' fitting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Oh I suppose I could quiver killer the holes and then take my old bindings as well... but it's a heavy addition to take boots and bindings.

What do you perceive the benefit to be of relying on getting the boots in Cham (or another mountain resort with a quality bootfitter) compared to buying them from a UK Dealer with an initial boot fitting, then having any additional work done in resort? To me the benefit of doing the latter is that I'm guaranteed to have boots for my tech bindings in resort... even though I *may* have some fitting issues, I've got everything I need to ski. In fact the second benefit is that if I don't have any fitting issues, I get an extra half days skiing in that's not spent in a boot shop.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin wrote:
iainm wrote:
Great to see all those positive comments about Profeet.

I'd back up this comment from runsp above:
'By all means save that money, go to Eliis Bring'em or Snow&Rocks and you might well get lucky.'

This video might be useful for explaining why the Profeet service is more expensive and what you can expect when you go in:

Forum savvy ski pedia marketing consultant snowhead resurrects old thread, hmmm Toofy Grin Laughing

To be honest, I was searching around to see what people were saying about Profeet and I noticed this thread. Since then Profeet have produced the video, so I thought it would be worth sharing as I (honestly) think it does a good job explaining why it costs more there as it's a premium service.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi all! I'm a total newbie to SH and a pretty-much-newbie to skiing, having skied for a week and a weekend last year so apologies in advance for the silly questions. As a beginner, 1-2 holiday a year skier, is it worth paying the extra to get boots selected and fitted at somewhere like Solutions4Feet or will it be a waste / will I look like a fool (all the gear an no idea)?

As a total beginner, I had vastly different experiences with the rental boots I hired. The first boots, although fitted by a premium ski hire shop, caused me immense pain but since I knew no better I trudged along until I could barely walk due to the deep bruising. I went back to the shop and they realised the fit was completely wrong for my (apparently narrow) ankles and they put me in better boots which felt much better for the rest of the week. I also had to swap out rental boots on my second weekend away, and ultimately ended up in some Atomic boots that felt great, I felt like I had much more control, but had to waste a morning in pain to get there.

I'm looking to avoid the rental boot lottery this upcoming season with two ski trips booked. I'm a beginner skier so not looking for supreme performance or anything like that, but is it still worth going somewhere like Solutions4Feet or would Ellis Brigham/Snow & Rock at Covent Garden do an OK job? I'm very tempted by the sales on all the past-season stock but I imagine there's no scope to make the most of those online discounts if I want to use a boot-fitting service (or can this be done after I've bought boots)?

Thanks so much in advance! Blush
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowheads snowHead

Imo everyone should buy their own boots as soon as they decide they like skiing, I bought my first pair from EB after one day of lessons in rental boots at the snowdome Neh Neh

If you have relatively "normal" feet and you don't need a tight race fit EB or S&R will probably be fine it will be a bit of a lottery though as you might end up with the new bloke who hasn't had much practice.

I got my 2nd pair of boots from S4F last month, good service and both Colin and Andy are obviously very knowledgeable.

I wouldn't buy online unless you're sure the boot will fit you, if you end up with a shell that's too big it won't be cheap to fix it if it's even possible.

Whatever you decide allow £70-120 for some custom foot beds it's worth it wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@susanann, Having your own boots is a great thing and if Snow and Rock or EB have something in stock in clearance that fits you great and its wonderful when it happens but dont let them sell you something rather than nothing. Go in to the shop with the view you really want the best boot possible for you and if they havent got it then they havent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
susanann wrote:
Hi all! I'm a total newbie to SH and a pretty-much-newbie to skiing, having skied for a week and a weekend last year so apologies in advance for the silly questions. As a beginner, 1-2 holiday a year skier, is it worth paying the extra to get boots selected and fitted at somewhere like Solutions4Feet or will it be a waste / will I look like a fool (all the gear an no idea)?

As a total beginner, I had vastly different experiences with the rental boots I hired. The first boots, although fitted by a premium ski hire shop, caused me immense pain but since I knew no better I trudged along until I could barely walk due to the deep bruising. I went back to the shop and they realised the fit was completely wrong for my (apparently narrow) ankles and they put me in better boots which felt much better for the rest of the week. I also had to swap out rental boots on my second weekend away, and ultimately ended up in some Atomic boots that felt great, I felt like I had much more control, but had to waste a morning in pain to get there.

I'm looking to avoid the rental boot lottery this upcoming season with two ski trips booked. I'm a beginner skier so not looking for supreme performance or anything like that, but is it still worth going somewhere like Solutions4Feet or would Ellis Brigham/Snow & Rock at Covent Garden do an OK job? I'm very tempted by the sales on all the past-season stock but I imagine there's no scope to make the most of those online discounts if I want to use a boot-fitting service (or can this be done after I've bought boots)?

In all honesty there are 4 things I never scrimp and save on:

- Boots: For God's sake get yourself some boots that fit not what is the right price. I have bein skiing for too long now and I like most kids (jesus when I was a kid!) Looked at pretty pictures of boots and the sales and in the words of a certain Little Britain character said ''WANT THAT ONE!!!" - I soon learnt thats not the way to select boots. Colin at solutions for feet was recommended to me many years ago and it's is the single thing that has improved my skiing technique and enjoyment the most (second only to alcohol!) On my fist visit to Colin I went in saying I wanted a particular boot and I seem to remember the conversation very politely was along the lines of, "if you want that boot then there's the door!" Happy - I learnt after that Colin knows my feet and boots better than I do. Happy

- Socks: Get half decent socks!

- Gloves: No one likes cold fingers or gloves that fall apart - I'm not saying people have to spend loads of pennies, but good gloves like the hestra army pop up in sales now and then at great prices

- Safety Gear: Plastic avi shovels, second hand helmets etc no thanks!!

Anywhooo long and short of it, boots is the one thing I never worry about saving money on, skis and 'stuff' don't generally change much from year to year and don't need to fit you personally - you can get 2 season year old stock a doddle
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
susanann wrote:

Hi,

I was in a similar position to this last year and decided to take the plunge and get properly fitted for my own boots by James at Outdoor Traders (unfortunately recently closed). There were lots of attractive sale deals on but I had no idea what I was looking at so put my trust in the fitter.

It was a large outlay for a one week holiday a year skier (this was my main dilemma.. i.e. was it really worth it) but I know I now have boots that fit properly, will help me enjoy skiing and I don’t need to worry about messing around with hire boot.

Strangely I found it also encouraged me to visit my local dry slope and the Milton Keynes indoor so I’ve used them more than I perhaps originally anticipated.

Personally I would do the same again and IMHO you wouldn’t regret it, especially if you’ve had previous issues with hire boot.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
susanann wrote:
As a beginner, 1-2 holiday a year skier, is it worth paying the extra to get boots selected and fitted at somewhere like Solutions4Feet or will it be a waste / will I look like a fool (all the gear an no idea)?

Yes.

Firstly, on a technical level, a ski boot is the point at which the body connects to the skis. The way the boot acts will have a lot of bearing on how the ski duly acts. So a boot which is 'technically' wrong - IE incorrect length, incorrect flex etc... you will not have the best control of the skis. And best control of the skis isn't limited to racers... how can you expect to learn to ski if the technique you're applying isn't working efficiently because your boot is failing you? You'll think you're getting it wrong whilst in fact the boot is preventing you progressing. (It really can be that drastic. My turns improved 100% on moving into a stiffer boot whilst learning, then improved about another 50% moving into a stiffer boot later on).

And secondly, because it's your holiday so you should be comfortable. If you're uncomfortable it will affect the fun and satisfaction that you get from skiing and nobody wants that. So if you spend £1000 on a ski trip and then get uncomfortable to save £100 on a pair of boots which should last you 20, 30 trips... you're getting your maths all wrong.

You'll never look like a fool for having the right kit. A decent bootfitter won't give you the wrong boots though. Turning up to your first week of lessons with a pair of lightweight touring boots might get you some funny looks, but no good bootfitter would have sold you them anyway.

Quote:

If you're London based (where Covent Garden is your local) then there are typically good reviews for ProFeet too, in Putney. So that could be easier for you?

Choosing boots because they happen to be on special offer is like trying to choose a long term partner out of what's available this week on Tinder. You might get lucky and strike gold, in which case fair play to you... but you cannot expect to. The only pair of boots you should buy is the pair that is right for you so it's important that you go and see somebody who knows which pair is right for you and listen to what they have to say. Forget the brand/colour/price and just listen to what they tell you.

I am a convert to a proper bootfitter (I go to Solutions 4 Feet but like I said I've heard nothing but good things about Profeet) and I suggest everyone does the same. Colin didn't just choose my boots, he made some very good footbeds too (not the same sort you get in Ellis Brigham) and further gave me exercise rollers and told me how to use them - to increase my flexibility to be able to ski better.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy