Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire Geneva Airport French side - with Snow Tyres as std

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if there is already a topic established for this one....

Does anyone have experience of picking up a hire car fitted with snow or winter tyres as standard, at Geneva airport on the French side?

Any recommended providers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IME they won't be fitted as standard on the French side, you'd have to pay extra. You'd also have to pay for the Swiss motorway vignette if headed into France (saves a lot of time and faff navigating Geneva). Might be worth paying the extra and hiring on the Swiss side.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skiboy03, I hired from the French side a couple of weeks ago for a weekend trip. Winter types don't come as standard on the French side and the car we booked didn't have them. They offered us an upgrade to a car which did have them, for an extra €30/day. Based on the weather forecast, we didn't bother, but different if you are out for a week. That was Europecar. I guess you would be able to pre-book a car with winter tyres though. Also worth noting that cars on the French side don't come with a Swiss vignette, or not as standard at least.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are they standard on he Swiss side. I'm pretty sure the last time I hired on the Swiss side the car was "winter ready" which made me think I was going to get winter tyres but all we got was a free set of chains and summer tyres.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll sell you a vignette if you want
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@monkey, IME they have winter tyres, though some SHs have reported being required to pay a supplement for them on arrival and no amount of arguing makes the slightest bit of difference.

The last twice I hired at Geneva it was summer, and I did the French side, but the works which were underway made it a confusing kind of maze to get in and out. Didn't buy vignettes - I drove through Geneva, but got stuck in such heavy traffic, one time, that I wished I'd not been such a skinflint.

There isn't always a big price difference and winter tyres are well worth having, especially if you are not slick at using chains, as they make it less likely you'll need to use them. But you MUST have them - if you are required by the police to put chains on, and you don't have any, you'll not be allowed up the mountain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have hired cars at both the Swiss and French sides at Geneva airport dozens of times over the past ten years.

I normally find that the vehicle hire charge is far cheaper on the French side than on the Swiss side (but not always!).

The vehicles on the French side have never been fitted with winter tyres. This has never proven to be a problem especially since we drive it only up to 600m altitude and we have not yet ever experienced heavy snow conditions whilst travelling.

However, two weeks ago I had pre-booked a vehicle on the French side (being cheapest at that time) and at the check-in desk they offered me a vehicle with winter tyres as an extra-cost option. I declined the offer. When I checked the vehicle I found it was fitted with winter tyres anyway. I'm glad I didn't accept their expensive offer!

I have no problems driving through Geneva to avoid the Swiss motorways (although it does add 20 minutes to the journey time to the 3V).

Whilst leaving/returning on the Swiss side is quicker, it also involves a courtesy bus trip between the car hire and the terminal and finding the re-fuelling station close to the airport is more difficult than the French side.

I would always hire on the French side if I was making a saving of about E50 or so against the Swiss hire charge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I would always hire on the French side if I was making a saving of about E50 or so against the Swiss hire charge.

I wouldn't, not for £40. Geneva is usually OK but traffic can sometimes add more than 20 minutes to the journey as I found to my cost in the summer. A quick trip along the Swiss motorway to Bardonnex is much preferable. And at snowy times winter tyres are worth more than that. And the French side of Gva can be hard to find when you don't know how.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mr Marmot, courtesy bus?

It is 5 minutes walk if you only have carry on (or roll along) luggage.
Always quicker to walk!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy