Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good ski-ing at Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of grabbing a short break over the Easter school holidays. We are a couple of intermediate ski-ers and am tempted by some cheap deals to Meribel, but are they cheap because there's likely to just be a bit of slush rather than lovely soft powder?

Any recommendations on where to go at the end of March / beginning of April, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed in Courchevel last Easter school break as the easter bank holiday was pretty late.
We covered the full range including Meribel and I must admit was not my favourite trip. Very crisp teeth chattering corduroy in the morning, a nice patch around the afternoon and then pretty wet slushy stuff after midday. As a larger fellow and on narrow heavy rental skis everything was taking a lot more effort and was not fun later on.
Would I do it again. Yes, as some skiing is better than none and I'd take any opportunity to hit the slopes.
As for this year, who knows. The weather is doing all sorts of funny stuff. Could be a great late season. I'm off to Andorra the week before, never been so thought I'd tick it off the list, and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply, that's helpful.

I'm looking at going with Ski weekends and the deals to Meribel are a lot cheaper than elsewhere but I assumed this might be because of the snow conditions.

They also do hotels in Courchevel at various altitudes, so I'd assume we'd need to be higher up if we decided on that.

I know you can never rely on the weather and we could have a huge flurry of fresh snow but I'm just after a rough idea of other people's experiences
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IME Meribel the slopes going down into Meribel are often slushy but it wouldn't be a reason not to use it as a base for the 3V.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are hitting the three valleys then I suggest trying to get some where in Val Thorens. It's where we normally go at Easter. A much better guarantee of snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

They also do hotels in Courchevel at various altitudes, so I'd assume we'd need to be higher up if we decided on that.

Not necessarily. We stayed a couple Easters in Courchevel 1300 and just got the lift up and down to 1800 every day

And yes Meribel is slushy and often foggy, but once again just get the lift out and head else where
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Catherinem, Easter is relatively early this year so chances are there will be reasonable conditions. We've skied most easters for last 15 years and only has been one when conditions were really really bad.

For intermediates there is generally always piste skiing, sure chances of mounds of fluffy off piste are reduced but for normal holiay skiers Easter IMHO is great - warmer, longer days, cheaper and quieter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

For intermediates there is generally always piste skiing, sure chances of mounds of fluffy off piste are reduced but for normal holiay skiers Easter IMHO is great - warmer, longer days, cheaper and quieter.

+1 I wouldn't go to Meribel unless I had no choice, though, it's often slushy and crowded even earlier in the year. wink

Good chance of some fresh snow but even if it starts as "lovely fluffy powder" (which it might very well not), it won't last long at the relatively low altitude of Meribel.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So STAYING at Meribel isn't a problem but I would have to prepared to get a lift to other areas? Does the ski pass cover the whole of that area and how long would it take to get from Meribel to the good conditions?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are 2 types of lift pass. One for just the valley with Meribel in it (or the valley you are in) or a 3 Valleys lift pass which covers Meribel, Courchevel and VT/Les Menuires.

Getting out is not that difficult. A couple of lifts. Meribel is the middle valley so you have the choice of going in either direction in the morning. Where as if you stay in one of the other valleys you have the option of skiing all the way across and back again in a day. But in that case make sure you make the last lift out of Meribel, I had to beg the lovely french lift guy at Cote Brunes over the new year week to start the lift again. Thankfully he did Razz It could of been an expensive cab ride...

Have a look at the piste map. May make a little more sense.

http://cdn2.j2ski.com/piste_maps/o/FR/The_Three_Valleys_Piste_Map.jpg

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 27-01-15 14:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi did La Tania last Easter and was as @TheDoctor, said. this years weather is making it tricky i was also trying to get a cheap last minute but have no idea where is good.
Val Thorens is more than i wanted to pay having been away at Christmas already so any advice will be great for both of us Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can buy a valley pass or a full 3V pass. Assuming the latter (most people do) then yes you are covered for all the upper valley skiing.

A couple of lifts in any direction and you would be out of it.

All other things being equal, if it's significantly cheaper than anywhere else I don't see why not.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AFAIK, SkiWeekends don't have a place in Meribel. Likely, it's in Brides-les-Bains instead. Nothing wrong with that but you need to know what you're buying.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@altis, Meribel it's listed under "Our Resorts" www.skiweekends.com or am I missing something Puzzled

I have stayed in Brides and found the trawl up the gondola a bit of a schlep.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dig further and yee shall find:
http://www.skiweekends.com/ski-weekends/club-hotels-and-chalets.aspx
Quote:
Brides les Bains for Meribel
Club Hotel Verseau

I like Brides but agree, it's not to everyone's tastes.
ski holidays
Bit confusing. If you do a search you get places in Merible itself not the Versau in Brides.

Anyway, it would certainly explain why it's cheaper if the accom is in Brides.
snow conditions
I think Skiweekends also sell holidays to other accommodation and don't just restricted to the Verseau. Cheaper price is possibly down to the coach travel.
snow conditions
If you are not stuck to just the Easter holidays have you considered the Snowheads EoSB going out on the 18th of April for the week ?
Price includes VT pass you just need to book flights and pay for transfer on the Lardybus.
snow report
Spring skiing is something you either love or hate. Almost certainly, you will be faced with what is known as "freeze thaw" conditions. (Though not necessarily, one Easter I was in Saalbach and it snowed 20cm every night and I discovered what to do when you get your skis caught in the branches of a tree.) Freeze thaw means rock-hard corduroy in the morning with some teeth-chattering and over-speedy descents with little in the way of brakes first up, followed by a gradual softening to "normal" conditions for an hour or two with slush in the afternoon.

Now personally, I think this is fine. You can ski slush like powder with gentle movements (I call it powder paddle) cutting curves through the soft snow. If you are a big skidder (been there, done that) you will struggle, but likewise, learn to ski it. Long warm days, strong sun. very few white-outs like it looks as if I am facing next week. Give it a go!

snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

i was also trying to get a cheap last minute but have no idea where is good.

you mean for Easter 2015? It's still January!

The thing is, Easter can vary such a lot. Often you can get good skiing at a big range of resorts, other times only the highest resorts have good conditions. So it's ideal for a last minute decision - but that means a few days before, not weeks and weeks.

There are two ways of doing it. You could book flights and a hired car now (though it's too late for cheap flights) then wait to choose accommodation when you now how the snow is going. Or wait for a TO deal, but be flexible about everything, including which country you go to, what sort of accommodation and where you fly from.

If you are determined to book now, the only sensible option is to go high, which usually means going expensive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy