Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kreischberg - Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last week, on Wednesday, I paid a short visit to Kreischberg where the Freestyle Ski World Championships were taking place (the Snowboard championships too but my schedule didn't let me see much of that).

First a few words about the ski area. Kreischberg is in the Steiermark (Styria), in the middle of Austria. It is a smallish ski area but my short visit, helped by a bluebird day, gave me the impression that it would be a great place for beginners and intermediate skiers, though intermediate skiers might find it somewhat restricted for a full week and want to travel to other areas for more variety (the nearest is the Lachtal, Obertauern is about an hour's drive away). The piste map shows pistes which are mostly below the tree line, many relatively easy but also some more challenging (though even those classified black aren't particularly difficult). The hill is of the sort which is steeper lower down, so that the run back to the valley is black. Most of the pistes are wide and inviting. Here is a view looking down towards the top station of the gondola which comes up from the valley (the beginners' area is near here and there are other lifts going further up the mountain from there)...

I stayed at the Pension Mayer which was very satisfactory and within easy walking distance of the lifts.

The main reason for my visit was that Murray Buchan, the son of a friend of mine, was competing in the Halfpipe Ski event. Hoping to give him some encouragement I went suitably dressed and managed a couple of hours skiing in my kilt before the competition in the evening. In that garb a hot chocolate (in the Panorama-Schirm near the top of the hill) was very welcome!

The Halfpipe Ski competition took part in the evening. Murray's runs seemed to start well but faded away towards the end of the pipe, so that he didn't qualify for the final. My kilt hadn't helped him but did get me interviewed on Radio Steiermark Laughing.

The other Brit who was competing, James Machon, was eighth in the final (unfortunately I couldn't stay for that). The athletes' performance was very impressive, though it was hardly skiing as we know it, more like gymastics or diving. I was impressed. Here's one shot I managed to capture, though I don't know who the athlete was...

All in all an interesting short visit - but I think I'll keep my skis on the ground rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was wondering where it was when watching the skier-cross event from there on Sunday (shown live on BBC red button except the final of the men's event, when they ran out of time).

Weren't you the one encouraging me to ski the half pipe at Fieberbrunn the first time I skied there?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_heney wrote:
Weren't you the one encouraging me to ski the half pipe at Fieberbrunn the first time I skied there?

Could be Toofy Grin And I did ski the half pipe at Kreischberg - though not the one the competition was on - and I did keep my feet on the ground!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy