Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Still snowing- interfering with my pub attendance and research, had to postpone trip to Saloon over in Belle Plagne- V annoyed

However have managed to make it to Dutch bar- Planja safely, so rest assured I can booze again! hurrah!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In case anyone hadn't guessed there is still LOTS of snow in la plagne - snowed everyday I was there last week - I would guess there was at least 3ft put down? Conditions are great as long as you don't mind skiing 'blind' - flat light every day! Roads open and working fine as of sat though - they are working hard on keeping them open (and the pistes) and seem to be winning - all roads open to aime la plagne/centre (1800 a bit more dodgy) and all runs open most of the time bar the roche di mio and occasionally verdons area. The blacks down the back of aim la plagne were out of action all week too.

Lucky you if you have just/are about to fly out!

aj xx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All roads are fine, high avalanche risk though, especially over the mont de la guerre (sp?) side of champagny. THeyre constantly blasting and its just started snowing again. 1.8m down over the past 6 days!!! powder ahoy its beautiful!!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just checked and yes snow still glorious, blue skies and sunshine!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hot and sunny, panda eyes ahoy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee, Nadenoodlee,
Coming out on Sunday 26 to plagne MOntalbert with 6 skiers and 3 boaders . Shall i bring my umbrella??
Cheers rob
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dupes, Suggest you bring sunnies- umbrellas are for Nans!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dupes, If it is raining in Montalbert it will more than likely be snowing higher up. You will be fine. Arriving tonight for a long weekend and not an umbrella in sight
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots of snow in 1800 at the moment- snowchains essential if you're going up past the bobsleigh apparently!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SNowing again, makes a nice change from the rain!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi there Nade. TVM for the on-the-spot reports. Seems you are enjoying your saison and will make it to the end. Where next ??? Mountains & Lakes for a T.O.? Somewhere-ski oriented in the southern hemisphere? Or a complete surprise and change of direction?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i was over in la plagne yesterday great snow on the glacier and even down in the trees on the way back to the link for les arc
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow still lovely, infact its snowing again now! Cant be arsed to ski though, its day off and its too misty!!

kuwait_ian, no idea, going out to Espana for a bit to travel around, then we shall see!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, ah well - have fun wherever you go and keep in touch with your friends on snowHeads. Nearly end-of-season, I guess?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee, Do you know when the resort closes for the year?

Was thinking of a very late ski weekend - end of April, or later if it's still open....
ski holidays
jonflat2, weekend of 23 April I seem to think
latest report
Some parts of the resort are open for another week i hear, will try and confirm tomorrow
snow report
Quiet slopes, and to start with some great deep powder under the chair on the Chiaupe glacier Very Happy. Some of the BLAMmers met up with snowcrazy at midday today and a wonderful time was had by all.

What a great domain - we were fortunate to have snowcrazy with us to show us some excellent off piste routes down from the glacier, and virtually the whole run back to the Vanoise Express via powder fields, gentle slopes of spring snow, a couple of narrow, steepish, tree-lined gullies, opening out into routes through the woods .....

The variety in the scenery is what makes this domain and that of Les Arcs stand out from the lunar landscapes of some treeless, bare and rocky resorts such as Tignes, and dare I say it, Val Thorens Wink ....

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 18-04-06 5:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
PG and snowcrazy, that sounds wonderful. I'm not jealous at all. Honest. No, not jealous at all.

Smile
snow report
PG, You dare, but you shouldn't Very Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk,

No, not me either.... Crying or Very sad
latest report
There was still snow when I left- pretty good if slushy in most areas! Glacier still great though!
snow conditions
From this Plagne Centre webcam on Hotel Araucaria it looks like it's rain that swirls - a tadette of sleet perhaps?

or is it SNOW?? Shocked
snow report
If you look on the hi-res version (click the pic above and then the webcam again for full-screen):

I presume the lamp light is at 50Hz, which given the longish exposure of the webcam means that each dotted streak has 50 dots per second of exposure. So, if the CCD was exposed for 1 sec, then a streak with 50 dots is a drop of rain/snow moving that distance in one second.

Rain wouldn't hang around that long, so it must be snow eh?

snowHead
snow report
must be snow,has to be snow,cant be rain,rain is crap!
ski holidays
Here's a snapshot of the webcam for posterity - a pretty rainbow:

Rainbow?!!

Doesn't that mean, RAIN? Shocked
snow report
Rain to quite high up today, warm and sunny tomorrow, Sunday things get cloudier and cooler, early next week much cooler and string-like snow, after that pick your favourite weather model as they stop agreeing with each other from there. They do agree to a certain extent, but snow or dry depends on the detailed shape of the pressure systems and there's no agreement to that level. Further on, there could even be a return to stationary high pressure over Europe, but equally there may not.
latest report
update for week 14 to 19 January here
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks cloudy but not snowy in La Plagne atm.

06z GFS & 00z ECMWF. It now looks more and more likely that things will warm up from about Mon onwards, with the 0C raising above 1500m to nearer 2000m again for the middle of that week (both ECMWF & GFS now showing strong signs of it). The high pressure looks to "flatten" and bring warmer air back into play. This should also keep things dry. There are indications that it will cool down again by the following weekend as the high pressure pushes back northwards, but not as cold as this week and it still looks pretty dry. However, this is still not set in stone, and the models do really diverge from Monday. It's also worth noting that the GFS control run was on the warm side of the ensemble, so temeratures could be a little lower than predicted.

It looks like today & tomorrow are the best hope for the next two weeks, with artificial snow on top between now and Monday. (see sig.)
snow conditions
Well, it's snowing in La Plagne right now (at time of posting):
latest report
crosbie, It's like turning right at a T-junction. I looked at the webcams, then the charts, then posted, and should have checked the webcams again first, just to make sure. Embarassed
snow report
Let's hope I didn't need to have taken a snapshot of the webcam, i.e. that the snow lasted more than 10 minutes. Shocked
latest report
If you look here: http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=holiday&jaar=-3&soort=loop3uur&c=fr and compare it to Analysis chart here: http://meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm you can see the precipitation band off to the NE over Switzzerland and Austria is the warm front (line with semi-circles) on the chart, the band of heavier precipitation that's north south along the Italian, French & Swiss borders if the cold front (line with triangles), and the band that curves round to the WSW is the occluded front (mixture of semis and triandles). The chart for midday tomorrow shows the front totally occluded and stretched out along the Alpine range. This is what will continue to bring the precipitation over the next 12-24 hours. Unfortunately, those charts don't give much indication of how active they are, so we need to look at other charts to try and work that out. You'll also notice gaps in the rainfall radar which shows that the precipitation will not necessarily be persistent (unless enhanced locally).
ski holidays
skanky, what sort of conditions do you think we are going to have next week?,dosnt look like much snow came today,im hoping tonight will be better.
latest report
notverygoodatskiing, well I can only go by the webcams and official report, but it says skiing down to Montalbert & Montchavin. It's cold 'til Monday, so they can add artificial snow if necesary. I'd expect it to be decent until at least Wednesday and the latter half of the week will depend on actual depths and how warm it gets midweek. The following weekend it looks like it starts all over again, so we may leave in snowfall. It looks to me like we timed it very well and it'll be as good as it's been so far this season - but see sig. wink
snow report
thats good enough for me Very Happy im just glad the depths got topped up a bit and that the lower levels got a helping,its going to be a great holiday im sure
snow conditions
notverygoodatskiing, oh definitely. snowHead
snow report
skanky, any idea what sort of temps are to be expected next week?
snow report
crosbie wrote:
From this Plagne Centre webcam on Hotel Araucaria it looks like it's rain that swirls - a tadette of sleet perhaps?

or is it SNOW?? Shocked

Oooh! I'm staying at that hotel, at the end of Feb. Really looking forward to it. It's not too icy is it? Last year towards the end of the week almost all the pistes turned into sheet ice, making it very difficult to ski properly.
ski holidays
notverygoodatskiing wrote:
skanky, any idea what sort of temps are to be expected next week?

Cold until Monday (with a gradual warming), and the freezing level looks like it'll climb to somewhere about 2-2500m by Wednesday, but only during the day. Nights look like they'll cool down quickly.

This chart: http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_065455_g05.png

NB this is for the 00z run. It shows the various values (for the main run, there's ensemble stuff in there), and you can see 1700m gets above 0C during the days latter half of the week. The black line "taupunkt" is the temperature that the snow will experience and the fact that there looks to be plenty of cloud cover should help keep the snow as well.

Obviously that's raw model output, so the actual conditions will be a bit different and La Plagne's large enough that I'd expect some minor variations across the area, depending on height, aspect, wind direction etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy