Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow and ice inside new boots

Poster: A snowHead
@holidayloverxx, I have a good relationship with the bootfitter, and want to resolve our problems without publicly naming; no one`s feet are the same, let alone their postures, muscles etc. I am prepared to work with the boots, as their control was excellent for short periods of time, and I cannot afford to buy again.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

and I cannot afford to buy again.

...uk fitter then...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To give you hope for your wife at least I wear the Lange rx 100 in a 25 I think Cem fitted them for me and in human shoes I wear a 42 I have flat fat feet with extra bones and awkwardness so maybe they just need some adjustments ? It takes a long time to get your ski boots bedded in but uber thin quality socks really help I have a full on selection as the liners seem to pack out while the boots have their fifty weeks rest a year and I change my socks daily x
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Helen LS, Thanks, How long did they take to pack out ?
@flangesax, Very funny; like me assuming you must be loaded to give away all the stuff that you do?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cstreat, I am a massive walking bag of worthless €'s!!! Toofy Grin

I meant that I guessed you have used a UK fitter based on you writing 'I can't afford to buy again'.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tom Doc, I don't trust those charts. I was once sold a pair of boots based on my shoe size and cross referring to the appropriate mondo size. Once the liners had packed out - after about 4-5 days - my feet were swimming around inside them. Turns out the boots were 1.5 sizes too big.

The best way to check size is to do the barefoot shell test. Although, if your boots are nice and tight without the buckles done up more than one or two notches, but comfy enough for a day's skiing, then they sound like a perfect fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
two points
1 don't believe the size charts, A) they say a 25.0 is a 6 and a 25.5 is a 6.5 , but how can this be true as both 25.0 and 25.5 are the same boot!! and B) a mketric sizing suystem which works on 10mm incements cannot be directly equated to an imperial shoe sizing system which is 1/3" increments

2)flangesax yes cstreat used a UK boot fitter, but i would like to point out for clarity it was not me, already received a PM pointing the finger and asking me if it was me who fitted his boot!! and i have been communication with the OP regarding how we can help should he not get a resolution from his current fitter

that is all
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ben76 wrote:
@Tom Doc,

The best way to check size is to do the barefoot shell test. Although, if your boots are nice and tight without the buckles done up more than one or two notches, but comfy enough for a day's skiing, then they sound like a perfect fit.

Yes, my boots are great. I wasn't questioning that, rather the size conversions on the chart. Ironically, given the OP, my boots fit so well that I don't buckle the bottom 2 buckles, and never have any water ingress. I can fasten them loosely enough not to prevent blood reaching my toes, but they always pop open at some stage. If they're tight enough to stay closed my toes go numb immediately.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

my boots fit so well that I don't buckle the bottom 2 buckles, and never have any water ingress. I can fasten them loosely enough not to prevent blood reaching my toes, but they always pop open at some stage. If they're tight enough to stay closed my toes go numb immediately.
+1
Every time I ski, I bless my excellent UK boot fitter for my comfortable but responsive feet. I can't help feeling that travelling to Austria to buy boots would have been a more expensive proposition than driving to Bicester!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is always France and Switzerland to consider wink
I'm staggered by the prices that people quote on here with their UK boot prices. I know that is not the case for everyone and it is quite dependant on the complexity of the fit but it does seem that the majority of SH's have problematic feet.
I also wonder over the level of fitting required for the majority of the skiers' requirements.
I have seen people with totally OTT race fitting boots for a days leisure cruise around reds and blues.
It could be that these chaps just lie to their fitter saying that they ski hard and fast all day everyday..... I guess a good fitter has to be a but like Dr.House - Everybody lies.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@flangesax, Well, I only know that until my first pair of well fitted custom liners every single boot from lace up leather, thru clip up leather, then Caber, Nordica, Salomon, Technica, Nordica, were painful for much of the day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@red 27, Sorry - had a couple of glasses! I had to take the liners and the footbeds out each night to dry the water out. The mouldings had a puddle in each evening.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@flangesax, I bucked the trend (which I actually think is more common amongst men, who tend to talk up their abilities more than women do) and didn't lie. As a result I don't have race fit boots, and they were comfortably snug from day one. The only concession I made when they were new was to leave the Zipfit laces out, as the boots were so difficult to get on when the laces were in. Now that they've packed down a bit, I use the Zipfit laces. All good. But I don't, in fairness, have particularly problematic feet, so far as I know.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I'm a bloke and I don't lie about my abilities - I have Atomic Hawx 100 boots I bought in Autumn 2009. After sorting out the custom footbed I require for sh1tty ankles/flat feet etc., PU Transfoam liners, and CEM and his gang sorted out the cant etc. if you offered me £1,000 for them I'd tell you to get lost. For the first couple of days they feel a little tight, then the next week they're really nice, then the next few days I'd fancy something a bit racier (sic). But hey, over a 10 day/two week period taken as a whole they're spot on for me. I would like lighter boots but I'm going to wait for the next gen of Xenia/XECARB boots to come along.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, all good points; I encountered similar but lesser pain in the wider hired boots today, and feel some of the problems are rooted in my technique in poor visibility, and also connected to the trendy fat planks that I have just got, so will try again with the Langes.
ski holidays
Always worth a punt!
Bad vis/conditions can make a massive difference to boot comfort. Stiff calves pushing on the back of the boots etc... I've never noticed a difference to the width of my foot in challenging conditions but it can certainly impact things if you curl your toes!
latest report
My boot are a bit smelly, what is the advice ?
ski holidays
@flangesax,
Quote:

it can certainly impact things if you curl your toes!

Not half! I used to get cramp constantly when I had over-sized boots and no footbeds in them, and I'm sure it's because I was for ever curling my toes.
snow report
@Timberwolf, please leave your smelly boots outside! Ange
snow report
I've usually found snow/ice in my boots at the end of the day.
Then on previous page CEM wrote:
the order of clipping is also important as when you go into a boot your foot natually goes to the front of the liner, if you clip up the boot top two bukcles first, the power strap,(then get the ankle buckle really tight ) flex a few times and then the lower buckles snap tight so they are not going to flap around but not crush the foot, by doing it this way the foot moves back to the heel pocket and gives more space around the forefoot which means you can do the clips a little tighter with causing a constriction

Thank you, thank you: did it your way today and had more room in front of boot allowing me to do up the lower clips tighter. Felt more secure and no snow in my boots!
Wonderful. Very Happy
snow report
@Timberwolf, Urinate in them, empty them, then put them on top of a radiator for 24 hours. It's a guaranteed way of removing smelly foot odours. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Most of my sore feet issues skiing are directly attributable to attempts to operate what I call the toe brake.

Fortunately I only really ski with my husband which makes life easier as he tolerates my need to stop and fiddle but equally if last lifts are at risk I can (wo) man up and get on with it, although I might be sore/cross once down. Also the time pressure makes me ski better with less toe braking so reducing the pain.

Any tips on not grabbing with toes? Usually notice too late!
ski holidays
@Randomsabreur,
Quote:

Any tips on not grabbing with toes?
my footbeds/well fitting boots prevent me from doing it. That's the secret.
latest report
I have to admit, I have a tightly fitted race boot which although needing a couple of adjustments gradually tightening the buckles during the first few runs are often then so comfy I don't need to even loosen the buckles for lunch... and I am the ultimate boot faffmeister wink From the first day they were pretty good, just needed a couple of pressure points blown out.

I am usually a 44 (9.5 UK) in most shoes, going from memory my shells are 26.5. But... these days I ski seasons, on and off piste, and personally hate having foot movement in my boots, so they work for me. I am seriously trying to improve, take lessons and feedback and so am prepared to accept a lower comfort level in exchange for precision.

As said above, be very honest with a fitter and tell them what you expect from a boot. For what it's worth the only boots I ever had snow working inside (and that was a tiny bit) was in a pair of cheap, soft total beginner boots that were too wide for me so I had to over crank the buckles.
snow conditions
@Pedantica, Yup, my footbeds were pricy but have lasted 8 years and hold my feet perfectly, there is just no room to clench my toes Laughing

As I have a very narrow heel I went for foam injection liners, I love them, but after 20 odd weeks they are just beginning to feel as if they are packing down a bit too much in places. I might get some new ones, but I still have the original liners that came with them... never bin those.
latest report
There's not really enough room in mine to clench toes hence why it hurts so much!

Just notice I'm trying to by the ouchy feeling!
ski holidays
Turns out that OH`s boots were too small, and have been replaced FOC. Mine are packing down, but there may be an issue with the footbed, and a little bit more widening of the shell may be necessary. The boot shop is happy to change them , for the cost of a weeks hire, which is fair enough.
ski holidays
@irie, that table is wrong. First of all, half sizes (say 26 and 26.5) are the same shell, only the liner is a little thinner (the liner packs after some time anyway). Also, my shoe differs between different brands and styles of shoe wear. I have shoes that range from 42.5 to 44.5 (that's running shoes). My ski boots are 26 (Lange too), so at least a size and a half too small according to that table. Yes, the first two weeks were not pain free (got black nails on my toes after the first week) but now my boots are comfortable and I really have control over my skis (I still remember feeling my feet twisting inside my boot on mogul runs when using size 27 boots). All this doesn't mean that the OP has the right boots, of course.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugardaddy, FYI the liner is not a little thinner, if anything the stock insole is a little thinner/ thicker OR there may be a thin shim under it
ski holidays
@sugardaddy

I posted the chart because the OP's boots were a WAY different size from his 'normal' foot size.

A chart is a chart and if anyone uses one when buying footwear (let alone ski boots!) then if what they receive fits properly then they got lucky.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy