Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Already planning for next year - where to go..?

Poster: A snowHead
So, as is my wont... Just got back from one trip and beginning to think of the main one for next year.

The Wish List.

Austria (although open to the idea of Italy if anything would fit)
Mid January (no school holidays at the same time) again - 2016
Snow-Sure
Good Apres but not OTT
Catered Chalet for 8 people (minimum)
Ski in/out would be great otherwise very short walk/bus to lifts
Preferably no longer from an airport than a 1.5hrs transfer/drive max
Good for low intermediates and advanced/expert
Stuff for non-skiers to do - being able to walk around etc... They're happy to be out trekking around the slopes all day long, nice walks.

I think that covers the basics...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending on your definition of catered chalet, which in my experience is more a French thing than anywhere else, Obergurgl is not a bad shout - nice little town, not too noisy, with a few shops and spas etc. Snow sure. Linked to Hochgurgl by the gondola. Skiing is more intermediate than expert but it's nice. Close to Innsbruck airport, Salzburg's a bit further.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Catered - I guess, breaky laid out, nibbles at 4:30pm then dinner. Exactly what we just had in La Plagne Laughing
Basically don't want to cook, or more importantly, clear up afterwards and do all the shopping.

Obergurgl did appear in my initial searches.

What about the villages in the Skiwelt system?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach ticks all of your boxes and next season the Ski Circus will include Fieberbrunn as well as Hinterglemm and Leogang. Although most accommodation is H/B or B&B in Hotels or Pensions, there are some catered chalets such as Chalet-Hotel Christina (run by Ski Miguel) or the independent Pension Enzian.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Basically don't want to cook, or more importantly, clear up afterwards and do all the shopping.

Hotel? Loads of good ones in Austria and Italy but, as @northernsoulboy notes, not so many catered chalets and ski in/out not so easy to find.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for thereplies guys.

@quinton, Shall check out Saalbach
@pam w, Reason we like the Small Chalet thing is so we can all chill out together in the evenings - Ever played shithead?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AsterixTG wrote:
Catered - I guess, breaky laid out, nibbles at 4:30pm then dinner. Exactly what we just had in La Plagne Laughing

Obergurgl did appear in my initial searches.

What about the villages in the Skiwelt system?

Yep, sorry, Asterix, by querying 'catered chalet' it was the 'chalet' bit I was querying, not the 'catered', as PamW says.

There's lots of sort of small hotels for sort of 40pax which are kind of half way houses.

Skiwelt is another good option, as is Kaprun, which is good for all of your needs except ski-in/out (there must be some, I've just never had it there, and in any event it's small enough that buses are only yards away). Also has the benefit of being near Zell (5min) and (if it's a bad year for snow) the Kitzsteinhorn glacier.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@AsterixTG, Don't rule out a large self catering apartment/house - would be able to to do the chill out thing as well as experience different cuisines when eating at different restaurants.
I'm sure also there is a SH who has a Chalet/Large Apartment in Radstadt - Ski Amade (Flangesax??) which might be worth looking at.

I notice your located in Dubai - are you a native of the Emirates? I ask because I met alot of people from the UAE/Dubai in Zell am See and Kaprun over the New Year period. Some skiing and some just riding the lifts and exploring the mountains, as well as out and about in the town. It seemed to be alot more popular than other places I've visited with Middle Eastern people.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@northernsoulboy, Awesome mate - thanks for the post
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure that Ski Welt would fit my definition of snow sure. I know a few people who have had very poor snow there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AthersT, English born and bred - Just made a mental note not to ever go to Zell am See or Kaprun over the New Year period.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AsterixTG, yes, if you want a small chalet just for the exclusive use of your party, I can see the attraction. More likely to find that in France, I guess, especially if you want ski in/out. I like catered chalets too, where you can sit and have tea and then read your book whilst still in your long johns and slippers.

I don't think you'd find anywhere very quiet over the New Year period.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mid Jan Skiwelt would be fine for snow, we have been on several "bad" years and there has always been plenty open and good conditions, even mid/late march. If you are all offpiste ski-gods with Canadian genes then maybe not but don't worry about snow for normal mortals in high season. Westendorf ticks the ski in/out box almost as the runs go right to the village and (for me) are the best in skiwelt, it also links easily to the main skiwelt hill at Brixen and to Kitzbuhel by slopes and by bus/train which has a bit more for experts Kitzbuhel would be a good day out for non skiers and is linked by rail. It faces North as well so holds the snow low down better than some. Soll on the other side of skiwelt has more apres and seems to be where a lot of brits go, but it is harder to connect the areas from there, no bus/train to Kitzbuhel for example. It is mostly hotels if you want half board, but the smaller ones are very friendly with lounges bars etc. "Chill out together" happens in any number of pubs. Add the nail game to your evening, you know you want to!

Zillertal is another good area. If you want full on apres how about Mayerhofen. Zillertal even has a glacier so it doesn't get much surer than that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Col the Yeti, Many thanks for the info.

Westendorf is already looking like a likely candidate.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Col the Yeti, I lived in Germany for 4 years. The Nail Game is superb.
snow conditions
Check out www.austrian-adventures.com. Simples !
snow conditions
@Timberwolf, You beat me to it Laughing

@AsterixTG, As above, Haus Susanne, Radstadt fits all your criteria. Although a pension, with separate rooms, each with own bathroom etc, communal eating and downstairs bar and games room gives you the best of both worlds. Huge area on your doorstep/accessible by bus or car in the Ski Amade and the bus stop for the local Radstadt hill is virtually at the bottom of the drive. Run by the wonderful family flangesax you won't find a friendlier welcome and more enjoyable stay anywhere else. Those guys really know how to make your holiday memorable and you feel like part of the family/at home, the minute you walk in the door. Highly recommended. snowHead
snow conditions
@Timberwolf, @Schuss in Boots, +1 with numerous nobs on.
ski holidays
"flangesax" Lollers Smile

Thanks guys - will look into it.
ski holidays
Blush Blush Blush
ski holidays
@flangesax, Hi mate - how far is it from your gaffe to get to the lifts?
latest report
We are about a 12 minute bus ride or a 5 min drive... from one of the lifts anyhoo....
snow report
OK, thanks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy