Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner boarding - nursery slopes or straight to the cruisy blues?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Guys and Girls, I need some advice. I've been riding for 20 years. Never had a lesson. I go alright!

Next week I'm taking a family with 2 kids (14yo girl and 9yo boy) on their first ever snowboard trip. To Soelden, Austria. They can't afford to pay for lessons, so they're going to just get on the slopes and learn by doing - just like I did 20 years ago. The dad and two kids have had a couple of lessons at the snowdome in Hemel Hempstead and got the hang of it pretty quickly (according to them).

I'm trying to work out whether its better to start them off on nursery slopes (ie. very slight slope), or just take them straight up to some easy blues. I don't remember ever doing nursery slopes myself. My mates just took me up on runs and I learned as I went along.

Can anyone advise? And yes - I know that lessons are invaluable and well worth the money etc etc. They can't afford it. The trip budget has blown out as is.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers

Brad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
start on the bunny slopes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Warm up on bunny repeating falling leaf and basic turns, then find a nice wide blue with a little more pitch to it. Start trying to link up the turns and making sure the legs are soft in the traverse and they're stating centered over the board nicely. Choose routes you know won't have flat bits or too much undulation, as they'll not be used to carrying speed yet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds sensible. Thanks guys. Solden has very few flat spots, so I think it'll be ideal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also on bunny slopes - scooting.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say nice wide blue. A bit more speed makes it easier to turn and if they've already had a couple of lessons they should be ok.
Now shoot me down, I won't mind, in fact I could probably argue with myself about it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah Rob, thats pretty much my line of thinking too. Bunny good for getting balance, but you can't learn to trust your edges and rock from heel to toe edge moving at 2mph.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
depends on the state of the snow, maybe. The same nursery slope can be slow as slow one day (and very hard work, as noted above) and slick and fast the next.

Make sure they wear wrist guards.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with @robapplegate, and@braddo111,
I found when learning it was much easier to hold a heel or toe edge on the slightly steeper blues than on the silly green/nursery slopes. This results in less tired legs and more progression when learning to initiate and carry through those first perilous turns!

Joe
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bunny slopes - i`ve yet to meet an intermediate who enjoys cruisy blues aka flat slope hell
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy