Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis, skis, skis, can't see the wood for the trees!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am a newbie to the skiing world and am seeking some advice on ski length/type etc. I have completed about 10 hours skiing at MK and can turn and stop fine and sometimes land jumps off the kickers. I come from an experienced ice-skating background which does seem to help a bit.
I am off to Le Plagne in March and have been busy purchasing kit to take with me, including some Salamon X-Pro 80 boots. Now I am looking to purchase some secondhand skis to take with me, and I am a bit stuck.
The reason I am stuck is my friend who has skied a reasonable amount, encouraged me to try shorter skis, so whilst at MK on the last occasion I tried 172's and 142's. (Should probably mention I am just shy of 6 foot and 11 stone at this point). Having tried both for about a couple of hours, I felt more confident on the shorter skis and could turn faster and found it easier to keep my skis parallel. Whether this comes from ice-skating, or the limited width of the run at MK I don't know.
However I have been told that conditions on the real mountains are a lot different, and I want to become a proficient skier and not perhaps hamper myself by skiing on too short skis.
So what length of ski should I be looking at in order to progress well?
Of course, once a length has been chosen, looking online there are so many different types of skis, a bit of guidance here would not go amiss.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!

TristalTips
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads! Why buy at all at this stage? For your first week you will want skis which, if you progress well, you will soon grow out of. You either buy skis suitable for you now, but which may only get a couple of weeks use before you need something different, or worst of all, you end up with unsuitable skis which hold you back.

By the time you have paid for carriage, tuned/waxed skis, it would cost much less to hire for a week. Then the shop will guide you to the right ski for a first week, but you wont be stuck with a beginner ski into the future. You will also get a better feel for the skis you like in the future when you have some experience on varied snow conditions. Very cheap second hand skis are likely to be in poor condition as well which would not help.

Enjoy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I am sure that is good advice. Do you know offhand rough cost of hiring skis for a week in a french resort? Also, still need some guidance on the ski length please..... Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First off, Welcome mate.

Secondly - Unless you can get an absolutely stonking 2nd hand deal, I'd be renting for this trip.

However, to answer your question, I'd be looking around 165-175cm depending on the ski. Nothing longer, certainly. Shorter would probably be better to start with.

If you want a purchase a ski that you will grow into, you may find them a bit challenging to start with and if you don't have confidence with them, it could hinder your progression. If you buy a set that are great for you now, you'll have to get rid possibly next year and start again as you'll have out grown them.

And, yeah - you're right, the choice is overwhelming just looking at stuff on-line. Take recommendations from similar standard skiers or simply cross-reference a bunch of review from last year and make a decision.

Or you could hire and try out a whole number of skis over the next few trips and then make a more informed decision.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The price for just skis should be 60-70 euro with the likes of Skiset intersport etc. Try booking in advance for package deals. Compare that with about £30 each way ski carriage with easyjet! I only take my skis with me because we get 2 sets in one bag!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
OOh didn't know Snowheads had an issue with skiset! I haven't used them and yes local shops usually give better service than big chains so I just go into a shop the locals recommend. Prices will be there or thereabouts for basic kit though
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy