Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on AT boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.
Can anybody offer some advice on AT boots please?

My other half has just offered to buy me some boots for my birthday (forgot how old I am, so don't ask). I don't currently own any boots and so far have only done alpine ski holidays. But, I really want to start moving into touring.

Would it be wiser to go for an AT boot, a dedicated touring boot or just get an alpine boot for now and then a touring boot in the future?

Are there any decent AT boots available which a rental outlet will be able to fit to skis when I go alpine skiing? (I currently rent skis)

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest that you'll be lucky to find a rental shop that will put your AT boots in alpine bindings. Try this thread for an explanation:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115663

There's nothing to stop you touring in alpine boots - unless you're doing lots of walking too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dylan32, go for a cross-over boot which has alpine rigidity with a hike mode that allows for flex for touring.

Personally I've gone for the Technica Cochise (after a false start with the Lange XT). The advantage the Cochise offers specifically is interchangable soles (from pure alpine to rockered AT with tech inserts). I know one of snowHeads resident bootfitting experts (Steve from Sole) is a big fan of these boots.

there is a range of Cochises in varying flex, volume and construction. I found them comfy from the off, but off course that is all down to your foot shape.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys.
I'll take a look at the Cochise.
I'm also considering an alipne boot with hike mode as a boot to use for alpine, off piste and short hikes (currently looking at the Salomon Quest range), and then get a dedicated touring boot for tour holidays.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In your situation I would look at a "one boot" solution. That is a crossover boot with both alpine and touring soles and dynafit inserts. Some of these will perform almost as well as a high end recreational boot and are fine for day touring. They will also future proof you if you get more serious and decide you want a proper touring ski with a tech binding. I'd look at the Salomon Quest range, the Tecnica Cochise and the Scarpa Freedom/Freedom SL as starting points then talk to a bootfitter and get something that fits.

Reasons being - you don't currently own skis and being able to rent something with an alpine binding will give you flexibility. Also, something like the Freedom SL is a lot of boot and you would need to be a very heavy/good skier recreational skier to need something more solid.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, that sounds like what I'm after. I don't intend to buy alpine skis for piste, but want to use my boots for short touring excursions when on piste holidays with my partner.
So, those three boots will work fine with alpine fittings in rental shops?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Certainly the Cochise will when it has the alpine sole on. You could then use it in say a Baron/Adrenalin/F12/Ambition type binding for touring, or if you wanted to use a pin binding or plan to do a lot of hiking in the boots get a set of rockered AT soles with DIN inserts.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All the things suggested so far have swappable soles. This is a bit of a fiddle but it does mean that you can put them in both alpine and AT bindings. Important to get them fitted properly - you are looking at quite similar products although the Freedom SL is a bit more touring oriented - so I'd make a decision based on fit.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
also k2 pinnacles which don't require swapping a sole but do fit alpine, at or dynafit (pin bindings). i have the pinnacle 130 which are too stiff for proper touring. the next model down is cheaper and probably more useful. i think scott also do a cross over. choice should obviously be driven by fit as said above
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just been fitted with a pair of Solomon quest pro , perfect fit for my short/wide/foot , perform as well as my all out alpine boot , and work with my touring skis as well as powder and piste skis , the Cochise were my other choice but a little narrow for my wider foot . If you get the interchangeable soles can't see why you would struggle to get them adjusted to alpine bindings in resort .
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is great info, thanks guys. I'm currently leaning more toward the Salomon Quest range mainly because there are several dealers around Cardiff who stock them so I can try them on. Also, I too have wide feet (plus bunions). But, I've made a list so I can try on as many as possible.
I love buying kit, especially when it's not my money Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dylan32, I have wide feet and a bunion on right foot , the boot only required a small punch to toe box to accommodate the bump , then have skied 4 days straight all day no problems , great heel fit and performance , good luck with your search snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had Quest 120 for few years.Recently bought Black Diamond Factor MX130,much better fit around heel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really very pleased with my Scarpa Freedom SL's after having done 4 days on them recently - however the right boot for you is the one that fits you best!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another +1 for the Scarpa SL if they fit. Only done a week in mine but they ski as well as my old Lange Comp 120 and tour well enough.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy