Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner snowboarder questions on body armour!

Poster: A snowHead
@Masque, ironically, I have all of those but not in that order...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oafc0000 wrote:

Your body is built to take impact very well.

not after 45, sad fact. You don't bounce as well and you don't recover as quickly...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Fruity, just wait till you're past 60 rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Masque, 50 is bad enough.
NehNeh
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One more question...are the Level gloves comfortable to wear when skiing too (i.e. when holding ski poles)?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're looking at their new Biomex system, then it shouldn't be a problem - they've been redesigned specifically to not get in the way of holding poles - either way I think I'm right in saying that the inserts are removable so if you do find them uncomfortable when holding poles, just remove them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes that's exactly what I meant, great thank you!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually one more question, I know the gloves are available online, but I'd quite like to try them on, is there anywhere that is likely to sell them in central London (or close)?

I'm guessing the body armour is only likely to be avialable online, but again if anyone knows anywhere that stocks this, it would be good to try on before buying!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
went snowboarding at the start of jan for the first time. I had skiied before so knew that the first day would be spent falling on my back bottom alot (it was) body was fine so I doubt that you will need body armour but the back bottom was unbelevably sore and I had crash pants (I'm a fat lad so I imagine that this had alot to do with the amount force I was hitting the snow) definitely get a helmet caught my heelside edge on the start of the 3 day and fell down hill whacked my head fairly badly. knocked the confidence right out of me. went back the next day got a one on one lesson and that seem to get me back the confidence funny thing is once I had got used to balancing on the board while moving the falls became more controlled.

Ofr my class one hurt his shoulder one fell waiting for the lift and sprained her wrist badly and I was just broken ! if you are just starting off get wrist protection and a helmet and crash pants, oh knee guards too padded fabricy ones will do.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Already got the crash pants and knee pads Happy

My gloves are getting a bit worn (mainly from using that horrible rope lift on the beginner slope at Hemel a couple of years ago)!!!

So it's time to replace them, I have wrist guards, but the level gloves seem to come highly recommended, so I'd def like to try a pair on.

I always wear a helmet, but hire for now, simply to save on luggage space, although I'm sure having your own one is a better option!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fallingdownalot wrote:
went snowboarding at the start of jan for the first time. I had skiied before so knew that the first day would be spent falling on my back bottom alot (it was) body was fine so I doubt that you will need body armour but the back bottom was unbelevably sore and I had crash pants (I'm a fat lad so I imagine that this had alot to do with the amount force I was hitting the snow) definitely get a helmet caught my heelside edge on the start of the 3 day and fell down hill whacked my head fairly badly. knocked the confidence right out of me. went back the next day got a one on one lesson and that seem to get me back the confidence funny thing is once I had got used to balancing on the board while moving the falls became more controlled.

Ofr my class one hurt his shoulder one fell waiting for the lift and sprained her wrist badly and I was just broken ! if you are just starting off get wrist protection and a helmet and crash pants, oh knee guards too padded fabricy ones will do.

fallingdownalot, welcome to SnowHeads! Yeah, the first few days are tough, and even more so for larger folks I imagine. Good firsthand advice there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had the exact same story when I started boarding... fell on my tailbone and felt slightly bruised for the rest of the session... rested afterwards then felt like I couldn't walk for the next 3 days.

Totally regretted not having body armour right then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In my early days of sliding I had to drive home from Valandry sitting on a broken coccyx . . . didn't stop me from wanting to go back . . . did start me on a good fibre diet. You NEVER want to be constipated with a broken tailbone Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fruity wrote:
http://www.demonsnow.com/store/DS%201650%20Flex%20Force%20Pro%20top%20V2
That one?
Yes would highly recommend importing if you have a bit of time..allow for the duty and taxes added by Royal Mail delivery...

Shame they don't make the ladies version in larger bust sizes! Sad Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just going back to the Level gloves again, the website isn't overly clear on what the difference is between Biomax basic and plus with pad? Also for boarding mainly (some king too) is there any particular reason to choose a glove over a mitt or vice versa (or is it just personal preference)?
ski holidays
@vjmehra, personal preference - Mitts tend to be warmer than gloves so you may want to go mitt if you particularly feel the cold. Personally I prefer a glove as I like to have the dexterity for messing with boots/bindings/cameras etc etc..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy