Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is your favourite resort and why.

Poster: A snowHead
I have only been to Chamonix which was awesome.I am going to Tignes in 4 weeks which i think will be even better.Being able to ski in/out instead of getting buses everywhere will make things so much easier.I am already planning where to go next year though and will be booking it in the next few weeks.At the minute i am thinking of 3 valleys but looking for some inspiration so thought i would start this thread.

So where is your favourite?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vallandry

Why, family friendly, quiet, access to Les Arcs, tree skiing, quiet above resort, mainly ski in,out, love it. Let's just say have been there for last 10 years!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been fortunate to ski in many places and I've come to the following conclusion. Good snow, sunshine, a slope of some sort, decent company and nice cold beer. If you hit that combination on any given day, you can't ask for more, wherever you are.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Europe Wink So much to offer Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Arcs because I did my first season there, and it's an amazing ski area.
Tignes, because Espace Killy is utterly awesome and Double M is my favourite pisted run.
Whistler, just because it's amazing.
Soelden, because its the first place I danced on a table at 5pm after a day of skiing.
Hinterglemm, because of the Goatstall.
Sauze d'Oulx, because the off-piste is plentiful and doesn't get tracked out too quickly.
Pas de la Casa, because I was twenty, drunk all week and barely remember it.
Mayrhofen, because of red 7 and Snowbombing.
Meribel, because the apres is insane.
Val Thorens, because of the lovely Danielle. I miss her Crying or Very sad
Les Gets, because of the tranquility of <content>.

Any many more. Maybe I just love skiing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 24-01-15 20:29; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shhhhh. MC is meant to be kept a secret Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andy, +1 ^^ Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lesson learnt and amended Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dolomites - been/going to the area 4 times, twice skiing, twice walking, in the last 3 years. 3 times to the Fassa Valley, both winter one summer. Would try other locations but to an extent if on the Sella Ronda it doesn't matter as other areas are easily accessible. Fassa won as relatively cheap!

Why, stunning scenery, great food on piste and in resort with less mark up for being on a mountain than I could possibly have expected. loads of rifugios to choose from.

Pistes varied and a good sense of travelling available.

Snowmaking being amazing - most runs open even at the start of this season.

Modern lifts, most of the bubble types provide seats for all passengers rather than some standing.

Liked 3 valleys and Tignes but Dolomites something else!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dav, Laughing

Though it may all change when the new lifts/pistes go ahead rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Randomsabreur wrote:
Modern lifts, most of the bubble types provide seats for all passengers rather than some standing.

This is a vitally important point... Oldskool cable-cars are obviously unpleasant but at least it's a fair fight. Stand-up gondolas are the work of the devil. Transarc, Masse, Rhodos, Bruyeres etc et al should all be shot, and the various funitels (Galzigbahn, Pectel, Silverettabahn etc) given a good water-boarding at least.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bad Hofgastein............... Alpen Therme after a hard days skiing, Dorgastein down the road, lovely skiing. It's great Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Randomsabreur wrote:
Dolomites - been/going to the area 4 times, twice skiing, twice walking, in the last 3 years. 3 times to the Fassa Valley, both winter one summer. Would try other locations but to an extent if on the Sella Ronda it doesn't matter as other areas are easily accessible. Fassa won as relatively cheap!

Why, stunning scenery, great food on piste and in resort with less mark up for being on a mountain than I could possibly have expected. loads of rifugios to choose from.

Pistes varied and a good sense of travelling available.

Snowmaking being amazing - most runs open even at the start of this season.

Liked 3 valleys and Tignes but Dolomites something else!

Agree with all of this.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Larche. One lift, two small runs - some XC trails and something unfathomably perfect about it.
Heavenly. Perfect slopes that look like they're going to end up in the Lake shimmering below. It really is heavenly.
Whistler. Every type of terrain and lots of it.
Risoul/Vars . Snow, trees, sun, charm, unpretentious
Dolomiti. endless skiing under the most dramatic mountains on the planet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Good snow, sunshine, a slope of some sort, decent company and nice cold beer. If you hit that combination on any given day, you can't ask for more, wherever you are.
I would mostly agree cameronphillips2000,- except that sunshine is not imperative, although it is nice of course. I've had some epic powder days in the trees when it's dumped snow all day Very Happy.
latest report
Quote:
Good snow, sunshine, a slope of some sort, decent company and nice cold beer. If you hit that combination on any given day, you can't ask for more, wherever you are.
I would mostly agree cameronphillips2000,- except that sunshine is not imperative, although it is nice of course. I've had some epic powder days in the trees when it's dumped snow all day Very Happy.
snow report
Val d'Isere - fantastic skiing, huge area, good lift system and the BEST apres. Also a very nice town. I love the place.

However Saalbach comes a very close second for the same reasons.
snow report
Mont Tremblant , because it's where my family fell in love with skiing/boarding , and from there on we have been able to visit some truly amazing places
snow report
@Randomsabreur, For me the dolomites are definately a summer resort. The via ferrata and the rock climbing are the best any where. I just wish the weather was more reliable, but then you are in the mountains and the mountains make the weather.

But as to the best ski resort - well IMHO that honour belongs to Tignes.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Val d'Isere - fantastic skiing, huge area, good lift system and the BEST apres.

You've not been to Ischgl then ?

wink

My list (not in any particular order) :

Arlberg
Ischgl
Chamonix
Val D'Isere
Schladming
Mayrhofen
Jackson Hole
Whistler
Big Sky
Telluride
Vail
Aspen
Deer Valley
Lenggries
latest report
Turoa and Whakapapa because they are home.
latest report
Arlberg area. Nowhere I've been to yet offers so much
snow conditions
Ischgl tops the list. Big-enough to not feel you're doing the same runs every day, great, modern lift system and not just A good après bar but a town FULL of great ones.

Ultimately though - anywhere the mountain-top restaurant toilets aren't down a flight of slippy tiled steps!
ski holidays
Not remotely fussed about apres - I can have a beer at home - it's all about the skiing for me and that's 90% influenced by conditions.
Anywhere with freshish snow, nicely groomed pistes, not too busy and good variety of runs gets my vote. There's no single resort I'd pick out.
snow report
Kirkwood
Arosa
Engelberg
Saas Fee

All for different reasons but mainly because none of them are French ski factories! Very Happy
ski holidays
Falls Creek, beautiful and my home hill. Oh, and Sankt Anton, which is home, except I have to return to Australia for 11 months to earn money...
snow report
Keeping my fave schtum as I'm selfish and don't want it full of rowdy Brits. Very Happy The Russians have found the place however. Confused
snow report
@johnE,
Quote:

Shows how pointless this sort of thread is: Tignes is at the very bottom of my list of ski resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Having just returned, Serre Chevalier is my new favorite resort.
snow report
Sankt Johann in Tirol
Probably not the best for anything in particular. But the place as a whole I liked.
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
@johnE,
Quote:

¿
Shows how pointless this sort of thread is: Tignes is at the very bottom of my list of ski resorts.

Its pointless for determining the best but not necessarily pointless for people looking to see what other people like and if their reasons chime with you thinking about it.
I actually don't mind Tignes but can't bare Val Thorens and I don't really know exactly why, but I've never had particularly good skiing there and have always had lots of crowds.
Serre Che has skiing and an atmosphere that just appeals to me, not been for a while and will have to return.
Glencoe is great when the conditions are right as well.
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
@johnE,
Quote:

Why don't you like Tignes?
snow conditions
Like @T Bar I don't like Val T but not sure why. However on the whole I like the 3v, place to stay is largely irrelevant. Also like Espace Killy. Anywhere with good snow would be my favourite on any particular day though Smile
snow conditions
cameronphillips wrote:
Dolomiti. endless skiing under the most dramatic mountains on the planet.

^^^ That. snowHead

Back again on 23rd Feb for 10 days, can't wait.

Spending my winter fuel allowance on a ski pass, what's not to like! Thanks HMG. wink
latest report
My list:

1. La Plagne - Really good as I am a piste skier and like to cruise around. Ski in/out, a lot of piste km's and fun pistes like Tunnel.
2. Val D'Isere - Amazing nightlife, beyond anything elsewhere. Good ski area and almost ski in/out.
3. Tignes - Very poor town, not very good night life but access to amazing ski area is good.
4. Chamonix - Love the people but the long travel to average ski areas is bad.
latest report
@FullyTucked, hideous buildings, no trees, numbingly bleak if the sun isn't shining, full of Brits and burger bars.I concede that there's plenty of good skiing.
latest report
Zermatt takes some beating for all round great resort, history, ski area and scenery. Went for the first time this new year. Admittedly we had near perfect conditions, but aside form the lack of ski in/out and the general price of things, it was pretty much perfect in my opinion.
snow conditions
Generally the last place I skied so can vary from Obergurgl to Sunshine to 3V. I'm happy as long as the snow is good, the kids are happy and there's a cold beer at the end of the day
snow report
@Pedantica,
Quote:

I concede that there's plenty of good skiing.

Surely that is primary activity of a ski resort. Other things are irrelevant.
ski holidays
@johnE, Not irrelevant but maybe secondary. I get one ski trip a year and I want a combination of decent digs, lots of snow, mileage and a bit of lively apres/night life. The skiing comes first but the others are not far behind Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy